OBD2 Code Reader (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Recently whilst travelling through Spain the engine management liht illuminated and it beeped at me. Gave the engine a good run at 3000rpm and it cleared. Obviously something like this when a long way from home is a trifle worrying. Thinking of buying an OBD2 code reader there is a bewildering selection on EBay has anyone any recommendations?

Many thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do a search, they have been discussed on here.

Our 2003 has the ODB2 socket but does not work with a reader, the output was mandatory by EU law a bit later for diesels.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Recently whilst travelling through Spain the engine management liht illuminated and it beeped at me. Gave the engine a good run at 3000rpm and it cleared. Obviously something like this when a long way from home is a trifle worrying. Thinking of buying an OBD2 code reader there is a bewildering selection on EBay has anyone any recommendations?

Many thanks
Same thing happened to us at the weekend. Googling the problem suggests that you start it 4 or 5 times - did this and light went off. Took it in to garage anyway - diagnostics didn't show any problems. They suggested we use superior grade diesel every 4th filling and they put some 'magic' stuff in the fuel tank. Filled up tank with Shell high grade diesel - tank was already 1/2 full. Told us to give it a good run without going higher than 4th gear. All appears OK now. Garage said they don't rate Tesco cheapo fuel as it's not refined enough (or sumat like that).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Do a search, they have been discussed on here.

Our 2003 has the ODB2 socket but does not work with a reader, the output was mandatory by EU law a bit later for diesels.

From what I could find Brian the ones discussed are remote using Bluetooth or Wi Fi and a phone or tablet app, would prefer an inexpensive all in one unit as in link.

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From what I could find Brian the ones discussed are remote using Bluetooth or Wi Fi and a phone or tablet app, would prefer an inexpensive all in one unit as in link.

That one looks good to me.

The only advantage to one used with some form of computer is better display so it can display speed/revs/fuel consumption etc on one screen.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

Many thanks
The Autel 301 is probably the cheapest decent reader available. They do make some very high tech gear as well but this DIY unit is great for reading and clearing faults.
Beware though as they are so good, there are a lot of fakes about. £20 should get you a genuine one so beware if using eBay

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I bought this of eBay seems to do the job it took a bit to set up but once I managed to sort instructions out it's ok
You need a app on a smart phone to link I used torque for android about a fiver
So for under £20 its a bargain
Plus on our van I leave it plugged in permanently so can keep a eye on things
you can live monitor things and it will reset fault codes one thing I did like if phone is connected to Internet you can click on faults and it searches for meaning of code
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122064328004

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
diesels had to be obd compliant in 2004 i think,,,,, but light commercial not until 2007..
they are handy for power train generic fault codes, but unless they also have manufacturer specific files then you can't see their fault codes which can be more useful.. also not usually able to do any other systems like brake or restraint/air bag systems..
thats my understanding,
andy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have one of these... WIFI version but you can also get bluetooth...
Bought originally to use with ipad / i phone but i have now moved to android..
Free apps will read codes.. Pay for full version to clear them..

Link Removed

@Techno has some relevent threads on here ref the subject.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back