OBD lock install on Fiat Ducato 2012 but fits from 06 onwards (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Following on from my increased security for my Ford Transit thread, I decided it would be wise to fit an OBD lock to my motorhome too

Thieves are using technology to steal motorhomes and the tools to do so are cheaply available on ebay. Once in your van, they plug a laptop into the OBD port, an onboard diagnostics port, and using this to disable the immobiliser and start the engine. A simple lock prevent this or at least makes it so difficult that they give up

Beside the drivers knee on the right hand drive model is a cover for the fuse box, which also hosts the OBD port
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.39.26 PM.jpeg

Undo the 2 screws and remove the cover
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.39.14 PM.jpeg

The OBD port is bottom left with a dust cover on. Remove the cover and the bolt beside with a 10mm socket
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.39.01 PM.jpeg

Then assemble the new parts, a plastic cover, a stainless steel plate with a hole, a U shaped steel bracket, a security screw and bit and a padlock
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.38.47 PM.jpeg

put the plastic part over the port with the hole to the right
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.38.36 PM.jpeg

Then the steel plate
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.38.23 PM.jpeg

follow this with the U shaped bracket and use the supplied security screw to attach through the hole and tighten up
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.38.10 PM.jpeg

Then add the padlock, removing access to the port. The kit comes with a nice quality Abbus stainless steel lock that fits perfectly
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 1.37.53 PM.jpeg

Replace the fuse board cover and you are finished

Just 10 minutes to stop your van being stolen, and very easy for anyone with minimal DIY skills

I bought the kit from the link below for just over £50 delivered from Germany and I am very impressed by the quality of the kit

Thanks go to Wombles for arranging a discount
Camper Protect / Womo-tuning https://www.womo-tuning.de/ security devices 5% discount with code MOTORHOMEFUN-UK - see here for more info. www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-pvc-modding-accessories-discount-codes.184590/page-10#post-4038443

<Broken link removed>

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I looked at this and would have bought it but I use the ODB port to power a HUD speedometer. Can't read the Ducato Speedo, and certainly can't decipher the Klm readings.

If there was a lock that would cove an already fitted ODB plug Id certainly fit it.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
That looks a good idea, quick, simple and
another thing to slow the scum down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My OBD port lock on a Ford.

View attachment 426109
identical to mine, took about 30 minutes to fit. But slightly higher level of skill needed to do the install with drilling holes and cutting the plastic trim

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I saw, Probably on a Fiat Forum?. Where one guy had relocated his OBD port. Fitted a dummy one, and wired the dummy to blow the bejasus out of anyone who connected a computer to it!. A thief with a Fried computer is my idea of "Karma". Although I thought it would have been better to fry the thief too. (y)

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Been looking for an affordable OBD protector, and this seems to fit the bill. Think I will go for the one without padlock though if it is a keyed / secure screw. Don't want a padlock (big chunk of metal around electrics) in there if I can help it.

Similar to the one the dealer tried to sell us for £150

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Are you securing it to the VB Panel inside your fuse box or is there a specific place it bolts on to?
I can see the VB lettering on a plate of which it seems to fit?
Did you order direct from Germany too?

Kev

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Been looking for an affordable OBD protector, and this seems to fit the bill. Think I will go for the one without padlock though if it is a keyed / secure screw. Don't want a padlock (big chunk of metal around electrics) in there if I can help it.

Similar to the one the dealer tried to sell us for £150
I'd be just as bothered by the constant rattle of the lock whilst driving.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can't figure out what the screw fastens to.
Me too, what does the security screw screw into ?
Are you securing it to the VB Panel inside your fuse box or is there a specific place it bolts on to?

Kev
The secure screw, a pin centred torx screws into the bolt hole beside the OBD port that supports the fusebox and the VB fuses have also in my case been mounted to. The original is just a standard bolt, which is not needed after installation. With the bolt head covered, it really is secure and no rattle from the padlock, it is a nice snug fit too so does not interfere with the fusebox or extra wiring. Nothing there to short across, and if it did, would just blow a fuse

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I saw, Probably on a Fiat Forum?. Where one guy had relocated his OBD port. Fitted a dummy one, and wired the dummy to blow the bejasus out of anyone who connected a computer to it!. A thief with a Fried computer is my idea of "Karma". Although I thought it would have been better to fry the thief too. (y)
I was planning on fitting a spiked OBD port too, but after talking to mechanics I would be worried that my van is in for work and a mechanic plugs in their gear and ruins it

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Kev
Ordered direct from Germany, paid by paypal and delivered in 3 days by Deutche post then Royal mail. Can't fault the service and the parts are laser cut for accuracy. The decent padlock is cheap at the price

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Hi. What is special about the bolt? Webpage suggests it's a secure type, so thought this had a key type drive.

Good pictures by the way

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi. What is special about the bolt? Webpage suggests it's a secure type, so thought this had a key type drive.

Good pictures by the way
it is a security screw, but easily undone with the right bit. It is a torx type screw head with a pin in the centre, so the bit is hollow

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019

On the 06 onwards Ducato and Boxer they built the OBD port into the fusebox. Shame as otherwise would an easy job to relocate and fit a dummy one.

Mate moved his on his Fiesta ST and it stopped it being nicked, he has cctv of them looking for it before they gave up.

Will have a go at making one now i've seen an example.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I knocked up a port protector from a couple of oddments in the garage, not pretty, but no0one ever sees it. For a Mk7 Transit.

The U clamps bolt round the steering column support bar, but even taking those bolts off does not give access to the port. The idea, as always, is just give the bad guys enough potential hassle so they say "Lets move on to a different vehicle".

IMG_20180505_145652.jpgIMG_20180505_145728.jpgIMG_20180505_145803.jpgIMG_20180505_151352.jpgIMG_20180505_151624.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
On the 2014 onwards Sevel vans, the OBD port is separate to the BCM/fuse box and clipped into a bracket. For those vehicles I would recommend the TVL OBD protector, which has a locked steel casing identical to the Transit version that TheBig1 has already fitted. It relocates the OBD port to a different location under the lower dashboard panel, secured to the main steel dashboard frame with a shear bolt that replaces one of the existing frame bolts.

I also fitted a dummy port in the original location, not powered at all, but spliced into the original loom covering.

I would recommend TVL (also trading as ProtectaVan to the public) products as first choice where possible. They know their stuff, including the popular compromise methods, and engineer their products to prevent them.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
By the time anyone gets to the OBD port, which means virtually standing on your head to find it. The dog will have the arse out of his/her/it`s trousers!. (y) :rofl: And I`ve got a lead loaded pick-axe handle, and a load of big tie wraps. And the remote for the House alarm in my hand. 4 CCTV camera`s between the Motorhome and the Road.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Following on from my increased security for my Ford Transit thread, I decided it would be wise to fit an OBD lock to my motorhome too

Thieves are using technology to steal motorhomes and the tools to do so are cheaply available on ebay. Once in your van, they plug a laptop into the OBD port, an onboard diagnostics port, and using this to disable the immobiliser and start the engine. A simple lock prevent this or at least makes it so difficult that they give up

Beside the drivers knee on the right hand drive model is a cover for the fuse box, which also hosts the OBD port
View attachment 426018
Undo the 2 screws and remove the cover
View attachment 426020
The OBD port is bottom left with a dust cover on. Remove the cover and the bolt beside with a 10mm socket
View attachment 426023

Then assemble the new parts, a plastic cover, a stainless steel plate with a hole, a U shaped steel bracket, a security screw and bit and a padlock
View attachment 426033
put the plastic part over the port with the hole to the right
View attachment 426034
Then the steel plate
View attachment 426035
follow this with the U shaped bracket and use the supplied security screw to attach through the hole and tighten up
View attachment 426037
Then add the padlock, removing access to the port. The kit comes with a nice quality Abbus stainless steel lock that fits perfectly
View attachment 426038

Replace the fuse board cover and you are finished

Just 10 minutes to stop your van being stolen, and very easy for anyone with minimal DIY skills

I bought the kit from the link below for just over £50 delivered from Germany and I am very impressed by the quality of the kit

Thanks go to Wombles for arranging a discount
Camper Protect / Womo-tuning https://www.womo-tuning.de/ security devices 5% discount with code MOTORHOMEFUN-UK - see here for more info. www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-pvc-modding-accessories-discount-codes.184590/page-10#post-4038443

<Broken link removed>
So this fits the same on a 11 plate ?

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Trying to order one but all in German cannot complete it ?

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am really busy this week, but will try and find time to go through the order process and document how in English. Google translate is pretty useful for such things

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As well as typing or copy & pasting into Google Translate now for most web pages you can just right click then box pops up & can scroll down & click on to "Translate into English" which is very handy (y)

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You can get an OBD lock direct from Protectavan for £105

Join us or log in to post a reply.