NYCC are readvertising their ban on overnight Motorhome Parking (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Proposed Prohibition of Overnight Parking for Motor Caravans (Re-advertisement) - Various Roads in Scarborough/Cayton/Filey/Sandsend/Whitby

Copies of the relevant documents can be viewed on the County Council’s website (Resident - North Yorkshire County Council) under “Transport and Streets - Parking” and “Consultations”.

Please note that any objections or representations should be sent in writing to “Area 3 Whitby Highways Office, Whitby Highways Depot, Discovery Way, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO22 4PZ” or by e-mail to area3.whitby@northyorks.gov.uk and be received by 6 March 2015.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Tough one that. Likely the residents have been tearing their hair out about the odd dickhead in a massive job draining grey and emptying his waste into a bin and demanding the council do something about it. Easiest option for the council is to Ban overnight parking for MH as proposed. Their own document acknowledged they could tackle this nuisance without a TRO but TRO is the easy way out that costs not a lot and means they can claim to have resolved the issue.

It would take a fairly detailed on site study to gather enough evidence to stop this happening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Just had a quick look at the 'Statement of reasons' which are not unreasonable from a residents point of view. However, it also states that 'There are many other locations in Scarborough Borough where motor caravans may continue to park unrestricted on the publicly maintainable highway.' Does anyone have a list of these locations? Are they of any practical use for the purpose of visiting the area?

Brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a quick look at the 'Statement of reasons' which are not unreasonable from a residents point of view. However, it also states that 'There are many other locations in Scarborough Borough where motor caravans may continue to park unrestricted on the publicly maintainable highway.' Does anyone have a list of these locations? Are they of any practical use for the purpose of visiting the area?

Brian
Any street you want by displaying either a parking disc (available from most town shops), a parking ticket from a street side machine or nothing at all....depending just where you park.

There are no length restrictions on any on street parking as the parking bays are continuous.....not individual bays....and all inner town parking is pay n display.
car parks, you must fit in individual bays and all are pay n display.
outer town streets are in general residential but there are no restrictions.

Overnight Free parking (as in wildcamping)......no chance....you just take pot luck.

If you park in a council carpark there is no charge between 5pm and 8am (or 9am, not sure) but the machine will still dispense a ticket between these hours.
the ticket will start at 8am/9am the next day......another council con if you dont know.
parking enforcement officers appear to work 24hrs a day.

I dont free park in scarborough....i live in the sh!thole.

Last edited:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I've just looked through the proposed order document for Whitby, Filey and Cayton and they have set the banning times as 11am to 7pm. Is that a mistake or are they trying to ban daytime parking as well?

Deleted User
Yep we live in Scarborough too at moment, and we have to buy a permit to park on our street. Not expensive, just I guess to keep the street clear for residents, non permit holders can park for up to 3 hours using the disc system.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've just looked through the proposed order document for Whitby, Filey and Cayton and they have set the banning times as 11am to 7pm. Is that a mistake or are they trying to ban daytime parking as well?
cant find any mention of 11am to 7pm anywhere in the document.
prohibitions for scarborough, whitby, sandsend, filey, cayton and osgodby are.....

Proposed Prohibition of Waiting by Motor Caravans between 11.00 pm and 7.00 am
Scarborough
Royal Albert Drive (Both Sides) – From its junction with Peasholm Gap, to its junction with Marine Drive;
Sandside (Both Sides) – From its junction with Marine Drive, to its junction with Foreshore Road;
Foreshore Road (Both Sides) – From its junction with Sandside, to its junction with Valley Road; and
Esplanade (Both Sides) – From its junction with Belmont Road, to its junction with Esplanade Crescent.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
yes, the Scarborough times look right but not on the order for the other towns
filey order.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yep we live in Scarborough too at moment, and we have to buy a permit to park on our street. Not expensive, just I guess to keep the street clear for residents, non permit holders can park for up to 3 hours using the disc system.
But of course, permits are for residents only, or if you know a resident they can supply a visitor permit allowing you to park free of charge in a residential street.
the resident buys a book of vIsitor permits for 20p each from memory.
further away from the town parking is free.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, the Scarborough times look right but not on the order for the other towns
View attachment 53887
Not many people on scarborough council progressed past the wax crayon stage and the proof reader was at lunch.

It will be 11pm to 7am to stop wildcamping....all the listed areas are perfect for wilding being bypassed roads etc.

As far as i know there is curently only one scarborough street with a total caravan/motorhome prohibition order....the approach road to the spa from the marine top roundabout and in the spa carpark itself.

Reactions: dna
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe businesses will suffer as a result, but the curtain twitchers will be delighted !!!
Why do we go overseas ??? mmmmm, let me see !!

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Contrast that with the Algarve who are want to introduce more space for motorhomes to park.
ezee

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe businesses will suffer as a result, but the curtain twitchers will be delighted !!!
Why do we go overseas ??? mmmmm, let me see !!
Contrast that with the Algarve who are want to introduce more space for motorhomes to park.
ezee
The point of the consultation is that it allows people to put forward their views against restrictions as well as for restrictions. If people who claim to want to be able to camp on the roadside don't bother to submit their arguments against the restrictions then they are likely to be imposed by default.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
vote with your wheels

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Scarborough Borough Council controls off street car parks in the borough. North Yorkshire County Council control parking on the highway throughout the county. So on road parking is under NYCC.

Both authorities TRO's also bans sleeping, camping and cooking. This applies 24/7 .

Reactions: GJH
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Love the van, sooo Gallic
Phil
So do I! Unfortunately it's not mine, it's one I saw at the aires in Lamotte Bouvron, and towed a trailer made from the rear part of a 2CV van. Absolutely gorgeous, so stylish. Perhaps I should change the avatar to a pic of my van!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have been to scarbough so many times in the past few years it's a bit of a chore but has to be done.
When I first went with the van I was full dried as I had read all the doom and gloom scare story's on camping parking in Scarborough.
We still continue to her tis crap they are only restricting over night camping to sum residential streets arias this is owing to free loading tossers dumping there shite down drains and filling folks bins with the contents of there toilet casket's
I stay in the sea life centre car park or up at the old army barracks car park both have plenty of room Oliver's mount there is loads of places to park without any issues.
As soon as something changes that's it scarbough council are the devils pawn if you don't like scarbough don't go why give your self that stress.
If you dislike scarbough or there parking polices so much move somewhere that you like i like Scarborough and if I have to be a bit inconvenience so be it.
Now any one that hasn't gone to Scarborough they by to owing believing all the b#'./,-s give it a go and make up your own mind.
I actually thought it was a no go aria for motor homes and booked BB for my shelf and the meme sib
till I went.
if I hadn't listened to all the b./'##[s on forums abut it I could have saved a few bob
any way its not all gloom and doom
bill

Reactions: GJH

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The point of the consultation is that it allows people to put forward their views against restrictions as well as for restrictions. If people who claim to want to be able to camp on the roadside don't bother to submit their arguments against the restrictions then they are likely to be imposed by default.
But the boro decided the main consultancy group will be the caravan club....or was it the C&CC......who obviously dont want folks to bypass their official sites and wouldnt approve wildcamp/freecamp

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But the boro decided the main consultancy group will be the caravan club....or was it the C&CC......who obviously dont want folks to bypass their official sites and wouldnt approve wildcamp/freecamp
This consultation is by NYCC, John, not SBC, and is open to anyone. It doesn't have any consultancy groups.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
HappyBrewer Bill, If this goes ahead and your only transport is a campervan you will not have the option to stay in a Hotel or B&B. If the vehicle is an M1 Motor Caravan it will be a civil offence (PCN) to park it between 23:00 and 07:00 in any of the affected areas. You will be expected to remove your vehicle by 22:00 even if you are enjoying a night on the town. It is the vehicle parking, not the fact it may be occupied, that results in the offence. They are budgeting for extra patrols in the documentation.

The TROs also ban sleeping, camping and cooking in both authorities NYCC for highways and Scarborough BC for off-street car parks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
HappyBrewer Bill, If this goes ahead and your only transport is a campervan you will not have the option to stay in a Hotel or B&B. If the vehicle is an M1 Motor Caravan it will be a civil offence (PCN) to park it between 23:00 and 07:00 in any of the affected areas. You will be expected to remove your vehicle by 22:00 even if you are enjoying a night on the town. It is the vehicle parking, not the fact it may be occupied, that results in the offence. They are budgeting for extra patrols in the documentation.

The TROs also ban sleeping, camping and cooking in both authorities NYCC for highways and Scarborough BC for off-street car parks.
The operative words though, John, are "the affected areas" aren't they? As NYCC's own Statement of Reasons says, "there are many other locations in Scarborough Borough where motor caravans may continue to park unrestricted on the publicly maintainable highway". That confirms what Bill posted.

As well documented in the past, the SBC orders for off-street parking resulted from planning policy rather than the loss of amenities which are the basis of the NYCC proposals. SBC would have been inviting trouble to have acted differently. If sufficient people respond to the NYCC consultation with evidence that loss of amenities would not be caused in the streets concerned then they have no basis to proceed. It is up to people to provide that evidence though.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The operative words though, John, are "the affected areas" aren't they? As NYCC's own Statement of Reasons says, "there are many other locations in Scarborough Borough where motor caravans may continue to park unrestricted on the publicly maintainable highway". That confirms what Bill posted.

As well documented in the past, the SBC orders for off-street parking resulted from planning policy rather than the loss of amenities which are the basis of the NYCC proposals. SBC would have been inviting trouble to have acted differently. If sufficient people respond to the NYCC consultation with evidence that loss of amenities would not be caused in the streets concerned then they have no basis to proceed. It is up to people to provide that evidence though.
as you have just stated it wont affect the car parks I was talking to one of the enforcement officers who I know very well over a pint there not out to witch hunt the ordinary user of Theas facility's but the abuser the one that stays for weeks has no intention of paying anything dumps there crap every ware.
go's to the car parks only at the free time and is gone off to the prime spots first thing in the morning with there disabled badges
I buy my ticket as soon as I arrive normally get 24 hrs. display on wind screen it shows time bought and expiry time.
Cant go wrong for say £8 for 24 hrs. I think cant remember I just know value for money isn't bad
so it isn't a which hunt
If you pay youre way and don't abuse the system the only ones that are up in arms are the free loading tossers
who rather than pay the what I consider ferly reasonable parking charges.
would park in front of someone's house and use there whelle bins street waste disposal for there domestics waste.
And steel water in the dead of the night from outside taps one domestic premises and don't tell me it dose not go on.
I met a van owner who openly admitted steeling water Frome a old lades house when she was in her bead
I asked him where he told me.
I told the local plod who in turn has helped the old lady with security they had the tap removed
as she did not need it.
Scarborough council basing is for the free loaders pay to park with consideration for local residents the locale community.
And you don't need to go knocking a council that is looking after it's council tax paying permanent community residents'
ok put your shelf in the local resident place would you like the equivalent of a meet every weekend out side your house.
if so lets have your name street town and post Coad
so any takers ?
what I will do is set up a thread can we have a meet on your street if there's any interest
Got cared away a bit I think
bill

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Bill

The council are not banning parking for all vehicles. They are picking on a particular sub class of vehicles. The legislation says they can ban a class of vehicle. ie Category N goods vehicles, Catergory M1 passenger vehicle or M2, M3 Busses and Coaches. It does not say they can ban a vehicle in a class simply because it has been fitted with a special purpose body.

I don't condone those that overstay. I agree that parking outside of some ones door is not acceptable. However Sandsend A174 is outside of the village. It is not overlooked, it is a layby and they are permitting HGVs, Cars, Buses or Coaches to park between the stated hours but not M1 (Special Purpose Body) Motorhomes. I cannot see how this ban will in any way provide any improvement in amenities for residents or visitors. This is sledgehammer to break a nut legislation. A maximum length of stay with no return in a stipulated period, for any vehicle however would be fair to all users. This same argument could be applied to any of the other affected sections of highway parking controlled by NYCC.

The Sea Life Centre car park is one that is covered by the parking ban as well as No Sleeping, camping or cooking by Scarborough Borough Council's 2014 TRO. The fact that it is not currently being enforced, does not mean that it won't be. Buying a ticket for 24 hours does not get around the bans.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With reference to Sandsend, John, the NYCC Statement of Reasons mentions it specifically "plus a further section of road in Sandsend that has not been previously covered by a temporary order, yet reportedly experiences similar problems with amenities being affected by motor caravans." (my italics).
The consultation gives people the opportunity to provide proof that those reports are inaccurate and, thus, to show that restrictions there would not be valid.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
With reference to Sandsend, John, the NYCC Statement of Reasons mentions it specifically "plus a further section of road in Sandsend that has not been previously covered by a temporary order, yet reportedly experiences similar problems with amenities being affected by motor caravans." (my italics).
The consultation gives people the opportunity to provide proof that those reports are inaccurate and, thus, to show that restrictions there would not be valid.

Thanks for that Graham.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back