Numpty solar question (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
They say there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but here goes. It’s midday, not a cloud in the sky and the sun is beaming down. Your hab and cab batteries are fully charged, what happens to the power your solar panel is still producing ?:Confused:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
They say there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but here goes. It’s midday, not a cloud in the sky and the sun is beaming down. Your hab and cab batteries are fully charged, what happens to the power your solar panel is still producing ?:Confused:

It warms the panel, which gets warmer than it would it was actually supplying electricity.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the regulator stops the charge being delivered.Open circuit panel will not produce any voltage. Add another battery for those dull days, charge everything you need to in the mornings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't most charge controllers have an extra pair of contacts so spare current can be sent to another gadget? The current is very erratic on a cloudy day though. When I had a small panel on my shed roof connected to a car battery I used the extra contacts to top up a rechargeable LED torch.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

... ooooo ... careful ... you'll have the 'power police' after you for wasting all of that lovely energy as you could connect to the national grid so others could benefit from it instead! :ROFLMAO:

or maybe it reflects back to the sun which re-absorbs it to keep it going for a few more million years!!! :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back