Number of days allowed to stay in Eurozone countries (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
My understanding is that currently I/WE can stay within the Eurozone individual countries for up to 6 months in any Calendar year.
As a result I have been driving to and from Spain in my Estate Car twice each year.
I always take the Euro-tunnel Shuttle route and take 2 days to drive through France before entering Spain. I can then stay in Spain for say,3 months, before returning home to UK. I do this for April, May and June, then for September, October and November, each year.
I imagine that many Motorhomers do something similar.

From January 2021, I understand that MY/OUR stay in the Eurozone will be restricted to 90 days in any period of 180 days. A significant reduction, but entirely consistent with those Countries currently outside of the Eurozone.

Currently Eurozone Nationals can stay within UK for as long as we can stay within their Countries.Can the UK Government be lobbied/ pursuaded/ encouraged to strike a Deal with the Eurozone permitting their Nationals to remain within UK as now, so long as we remain within their Countries, as now i.e. maintain the status quo ?
And who will speak for the Motorhomers on this and any similar matters ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My understanding is that currently I/WE can stay within the Eurozone individual countries for up to 6 months in any Calendar year.
As a result I have been driving to and from Spain in my Estate Car twice each year.
I always take the Euro-tunnel Shuttle route and take 2 days to drive through France before entering Spain. I can then stay in Spain for say,3 months, before returning home to UK. I do this for April, May and June, then for September, October and November, each year.
I imagine that many Motorhomers do something similar.

From January 2021, I understand that MY/OUR stay in the Eurozone will be restricted to 90 days in any period of 180 days. A significant reduction, but entirely consistent with those Countries currently outside of the Eurozone.

Currently Eurozone Nationals can stay within UK for as long as we can stay within their Countries.Can the UK Government be lobbied/ pursuaded/ encouraged to strike a Deal with the Eurozone permitting their Nationals to remain within UK as now, so long as we remain within their Countries, as now i.e. maintain the status quo ?
And who will speak for the Motorhomers on this and any similar matters ?
I can only answer the last bit no-one will speak for motorhomers as the number of votes affected is so small there's little political leverage.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
The older 52% of the country
It was actually the wiser 52% in the last general election. But, because it was an election and not a referendum, the will of the people was ignored by the government, which was elected by a minority.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
for up to 6 months in any Calendar year.
You were incorrect then. After 90 days in any EU state you automatically became a resident under eu rules. After 90 days in many states, including spain, you were required to register as a resident. Failure to register was an automatic 300€ fine. applying to register & not complying just meant you had entitlement to no assistance but couldn't be thrown out. After 90 days in one eu state where you became an automatic resident you then could not legally drive the UK registered vehicle as it is illegal to drive a vehicle registered anywhere except where you are resident when in that country.
It doesn't happen often that someone gets pulled for it but if you do get one who knows the laws ,takes exception to people flouting them it turns into a nightmare.

Can the UK Government be lobbied/ pursuaded/ encouraged to strike a Deal with the Eurozone permitting their Nationals to remain within UK as now, so long as we remain within their Countries, as now i.e. maintain the status quo ?
That needed to be done over the last 4 years not now when the drawbridge has been pulled up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thank you. Are big walls still built of little bricks ?
I'm not saying I agree with it I was very much in favour of the status quo and still am. We are pulling up the drawbridge there are bound to be consequences of which limiting the ability of a minority of a minority (longer term European travellers of motorhome owners) to continue to have unlimited European travel is not a big deal on the government radar.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I've never been asked for my carte de séjour yet. My next door neighbour is a gendarme and he say's as long as he can borrow my hedge trimmer, I can stay in France.

The problem will not be your nice neighbor, it will be his colleagues at the border, they will realise you have been in the country over 90 days, or over 90 in the last 180 days.
You will be allowed to leave, but not permitted back in.

It's what the majority voted for.

Both French and UK governments have been doing this for years with other non-EU nationals, so the process is fully set up.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
To my knowledge, a tourist Visa may be an option. Or just some bloody good planning for each set of 90 days.

I also wonder how it will be policed and which countries will collect any fines imposed? If you stay for 89 days in france, then 2 days in Spain, then leave via a ferry would the Spanish fine you and collect the money?? Or would you just not be allowed into mainland Europe for 180 days? Do they have 'systems' that talk to each other for the calculations or will it, as I assume be simple passport stamping at entry and exit??

Do the rules allow one country not to enforce it?

The 'main' tourist industry will not be massively impacted by the loss of a few thousand who would want to stay past the 90 days limit, so it wont surprise me if nothing is done to ease access outside of the schengen rules.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The population of the UK had the option to vote. If they didn't bother then surely that means they couldn't care less either way! If they had a view they should have voted - you can't expect to have a voice if you don't bother voting.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
At the risk of being banned for politics.
All registered voters - those on the electoral register - are able to vote in local and national elections and referenda.
Britian is a parliamentary democracy which works on a first past the post wins basis.
Only votes of people who can be bothered to turn up to vote are counted.
So stop whinging if what you would have preferred does not have a sufficient number of votes to be in the majority.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Back to the OP.

I note your "April, May, June then September, October, November" regime.

On the assumption that you land in France on the 1st April, you will be in the legalistic Doo Doo before you leave, (assuming you leave on the 30th June.)

Even if the arrival and departure dates above are truncated, you will find yourself back in the smelly stuff sometime in September, because, again assuming you have spent most of the three months already mentioned, you will again find yourself having spent more than 90 days in the preceding 180 days.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
At the risk of being banned for politics.
All registered voters - those on the electoral register - are able to vote in local and national elections and referenda.
Britian is a parliamentary democracy which works on a first past the post wins basis.
Only votes of people who can be bothered to turn up to vote are counted.
So stop whinging if what you would have preferred does not have a sufficient number of votes to be in the majority.

I agree entirely.

Mike and Ann

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class - Rapido
Exp
You might find this useful to help work out how long you can stay in Europe when you are a frequent visitor

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The problem will not be your nice neighbor, it will be his colleagues at the border, they will realise you have been in the country over 90 days, or over 90 in the last 180 days.
You will be allowed to leave, but not permitted back in.

It's what the majority voted for.

Both French and UK governments have been doing this for years with other non-EU nationals, so the process is fully set up.
How will they know you haven’t been in say Switzerland which isn’t in the Eu?

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
I understand that you can only stay 90 days in the schengen zone then you have to leave to either the UK or a non schengen zone country. There are a number to choose from. 🤫🤫🤫 Photo attached, or google it
1D11D7DC-8595-4E31-911C-ECB97583FF82.png

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You were incorrect then. After 90 days in any EU state you automatically became a resident under eu rules. After 90 days in many states, including spain, you were required to register as a resident. Failure to register was an automatic 300€ fine. applying to register & not complying just meant you had entitlement to no assistance but couldn't be thrown out. After 90 days in one eu state where you became an automatic resident you then could not legally drive the UK registered vehicle as it is illegal to drive a vehicle registered anywhere except where you are resident when in that country.
It doesn't happen often that someone gets pulled for it but if you do get one who knows the laws ,takes exception to people flouting them it turns into a nightmare.

That needed to be done over the last 4 years not now when the drawbridge has been pulled up.
You keep quoting this but it is incorrect. After 3 months you can apply for residency if you wish to stay in that country. Spain may have different rules and your post may reflect them, but in France there is no automatic residency.
You can’t have residency in two different countries.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Or applying for a holiday Visa to a specific country may be a way to stay longer, though its difficult to see how that may work practically.

180 days in a year works fine for me BUT I would prefer them at a time of my choosing ..... not split as required by the Schengen rules lol

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
How will they know you haven’t been in say Switzerland which isn’t in the Eu?
Shortly, all Schengen zone countries will be linked by computer where every non EU resident entering a Schengen zone country will be logged into the system. Every time you enter or leave the zone, your visit will be logged. If you have overstayed your welcome, then you may have consequences to face.
Customs and Police will have remote access to this database on handheld devices too.

I guess later in the New Year, we have have peoples experiences of falling foul of the rules, to talk about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back