Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D300 in the week and have had great fun when walking the dog with my Daughter in the mornings.

Thought you might be interested in this:

DSC_0247.jpg

I believe it was sculpted a number of years ago out of the cut down Dutch Elm. There are a few of them in the nearby Manor House grounds as well.

Regards

Chris

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
They always say "get up early to get the best photos" ! Nice camera:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
This one is in Rochester it was done after the 87 storm

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi chris

Urban art at its finest. Glad you are enjoying the new camera Chris

stew

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
What no one interested in my naked ladies?

Stew (Artona) gave me a few tips on how to make the image better:

NakedStatue.jpg

Regards

Chris

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

My pleasure Chris. Just please do not tell Shona. I have promised her that I have lost interest in naked ladies-except her of course ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

stew

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dylan,

Yes, with Stews advice I cropped, used the magnetic lasso, reversed selection, feathered the edge. Gaussion blur on the background and then altered the contrast.

The picture was taken on the first day I had the D300 and was not meant to be a good one. Just a fun picture for others to see what I have to look at every morning when I walk the dog!

However, it was, as Stew suggested fun making the alterations and of course learning the ever incredible photoshop!

Regards

Chris

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I guessed a fun piccy and its turned into something far better - I wonder about its history - it must have a story to tell and why its ended up overgrown. I wish someone would do that to some of my old trees it looks fantastic. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks good Chris, did you apply the blur onto a separate adjustment layer? If you did you can play with the amount of blur you have applied. I think it might look a little better with a touch less blur, that's the beauty of photoshop you can really have a play if you have the time. I had a darkroom pretty much continuously for 20 years I even had a portable one but I don't miss the smell of fixer one bit.

Photoshop is now king:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Didn't have my camera with me Dohhhhh

But we were in Ballantrae (I think) and on the foreshore is a wooden statue of an old salt gazing out to sea. Having walked past it and admired it of course we noticed we were missing our Rottweiller Bruce. Turning round he was sat in front of the statue, every now and again he would nuzzle its "hands" which were folded in front, waiting to be petted. :Eeek: What a job we had dragging him away, he didn't like being ignored!! Must've been his feminine side. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Soooooooooooo expensive I only have photoshop 7 but I still love it and learn something new every time

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dylan,

I have been told that the Manor House had a lot of trees that where felled due to dutch elm disease.

A local boy had left the area and become a tree sculpture. They invited him back to do something with the trees. A good number of them are in the grounds of the Manor House, but this one seems to have been neglected and left to ruin. At one time when I moved in during 1999 I was going to try and buy it and make it a feature in the garden!

We go to Westonbirt Arboretum where they have competitions of tree sculpting using chainsaws! A few years ago I bought this for Claire:

Sculpture2.jpg

NOTE. Duly changed before Stew gives me a hard time!!

As you can see it is a lady with long hair made into a heart. We saw the artist but not doing this piece. At the time they where creating things such as larger than life men on horse back all created with chainsaws. Truly amazing to watch.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

No I just did the adjustment on the main picture. However, as it was only messing around I reckon at one point I will go back and have another go.

Regards

Chris

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Watch this video for a Link Removed its easy:thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Its beautiful Chris, I have seen the chainsaw art before, I have asked Mark to make some seats out of some felled oak but I'm still waiting. I would love some birds of prey near the pond they would look really great when the real buzzard and red kite come down to drink - well I can dream !:Smile:

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link, will look at it later.

Hi Dylan,

There does not seem to be an event at Westonbirt this year. Pity, I was going to suggest a meet nearby!

Lots of carvers around the country if you google.

Regards

Chris

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

Nice one Chris.

What I did was lift the image this morning and then change it. I then sent this to Chris without any info as to what I had done.

When I saw him a few weeks ago we had touched on PS technique. Also PS is quite intuitive in that once you get into the PS way of thinking the search for other methods become so much easier.

I am as pleased as punch that Chris was able to completely work it all out for himself.

Layers are a big thing with PS, as Jim says.

stew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back