Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Good evening all.

After our little soiree ( I know its not the correct word but sounds good) to New Zealand and made a bit of financial recovery. We will now be looking to buy a Motorhome just after Christmas.

Now I have a good idea of what I would like and will list requirements/prefered layout and spec.

What I am looking for from you fine people of fun is a little guidance on where and what to buy :)

So here goes

Price guide 20k to 30k

Prefer an A Class German built maybe French not fussed on mileage more interested in good condition.
Would like a Mercedes or similar chassis, solar panels, garage, sat aerial, been told must have an oven (swmbo says).

Prefer a 4 berth with end fixed bed (with drop down over front seats) separate shower would be nice or one that doesn't get the toilet wet :)

I can drive up to 7.5T but would prefer something a little lighter weight wise.

Happy to buy private or from Germany or Belgium if dealer for the better deal as not looking to trade so cash buyer.

There is probably lots of things ill think of after posting but any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Best advice I can give is to go to as many dealers as you can and sit in as many vans as you can, with a list of wants, must haves and don't wants in front of you.
Like most of us, your list will change till you find the ideal van.
Our last 3 vans have been perfect for us, all totally different, but fitted our needs perfectly when we owned them.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Wow people of few words :)

Had a look at some coach built today, although not the make Im looking for they look a fair size inside. So these will also be up for consideration (y)

If any one is selling or know of something that fits the bill feel free to drop me a pm (y)

Has anyone bought private from Germany or Belgium or always bought from a dealer.

Thanks Rich

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Take a look on Link Removed the German Auto trader you'll get some really good deals and lots of the used ones have all the gizmos fitted.
I? can recommend Hymer we purchased last year when exchange rates were good and bought a new Exsis i 698 4250 kg.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We are currently cruising around Europe in a Euramobil 810. Ours is 5.5T with rear garage, fixed twin beds. The dogs licky bits. But that is my opinion. Just sayin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
The twin beds are great, after 32 years of marriage the last thing we need ( or want )
Is for whoever to be crawling over them at 3 in the morning for pee pee. Might give the other whoever the wrong idea.:rofl:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We are currently cruising around Europe in a Euramobil 810. Ours is 5.5T with rear garage, fixed twin beds. The dogs licky bits. But that is my opinion. Just sayin.

Whats it based on ti get to 5.5 tonne

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We are in Euromobil too, 810, on a Ducato, with all of that , but a double over the garage rather than 2 singles, because we need garage space. Came down from a 7.5 tonner.

Ticks all the boxes ,and will be easily in the price you are looking at depending how new you want to get.. we went for low mileage, and paid a premium

Link Removed

Like this, but cooker on ours is just a hob, oven is eye level at other end.. its a pain , but we have loads more drawers. Love the layout loads of storage under floor.

this is high miles compared to ours (3x) and you might find one a few years newer for £30k

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just had a look on mobile.de

Is it me or do the Germans do a lot of miles in their Motorhomes compared to us Brits?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Unfortunately most of the smaller ones that I have viewed recently are just too claustrophobic for me . But there are some really nice ones about but they fetch a premium and to be brutally honest I don't think they are worth the sort of money being asked for a "name". prefer the French rapido for vfm ..

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We are in Euromobil too, 810, on a Ducato, with all of that , but a double over the garage rather than 2 singles, because we need garage space. Came down from a 7.5 tonner.

Ticks all the boxes ,and will be easily in the price you are looking at depending how new you want to get.. we went for low mileage, and paid a premium

Link Removed

Like this, but cooker on ours is just a hob, oven is eye level at other end.. its a pain , but we have loads more drawers. Love the layout loads of storage under floor.

this is high miles compared to ours (3x) and you might find one a few years newer for £30k

Ours is the same as that, with the garage but twin beds, and a third of the mileage.
Cant see how that one can be 6 berth, do the extra 2 hide in the garage when the van is on the move?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

Is it me or do the Germans do a lot of miles in their Motorhomes compared to us Brits?

Yes , they don't sit at home not using it , just so it is worth more when they come to sell it... that's in KM's don't forget.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Go look
make a list
look again
so on and so forth

get one with the extras if you can
V expensive to add everything after purchase

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is the same as that, with the garage but twin beds, and a third of the mileage.
Cant see how that one can be 6 berth, do the extra 2 hide in the garage when the van is on the move?
Loads of seating, they don't all need seat belts.

Martin

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Go look
make a list
look again
so on and so forth

get one with the extras if you can
V expensive to add everything after purchase

As you say really want to pick one up with most extra stuff fitted if I can.

I spotted one for sale over here on eBay but didn't put in my watch items.
It looked pretty much what we wanted, a tadge over budget but did look the dogs.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can any one enlighten me as to which might be a better option, A class or Coach built.

Im told both can be winterised with insulation and heating. Would it be fair to say the coach built tends to be a bit cheaper to buy.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A Class, we had an coachbuilt Euramobil and it felt half the size in the front , No different to drive IMO, just loads more room to relax.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Yes they do use them, but unfortunately a lot of them treat a MH like it should be a beemer, and thrash them down the autobahns (and other roads). Seen it loads and loads of times, be very careful, even newer ones could have been mercilessly thrashed on the basis they are selling it or just drive like a German! I have a Carado, which is well made and much cheaper to buy new in Germany.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had two coachbuilts and now an A class. Always found cab areas in coachbuilts draughty . A class snug as a bug and roomier

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've had both coachbuilt and A class and definitely prefer the A class. It feels so much roomier than the coachbuilt.

Denise

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The twin beds are great, after 32 years of marriage the last thing we need ( or want )
Is for whoever to be crawling over them at 3 in the morning for pee pee. Might give the other whoever the wrong idea.:rofl:
We have a fixed bed Bessacarr E560 and still have this happen, however it's no problem :)

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Hi Richr,
Are you still after an A class.... our Coach built is for sale in the 'For sale' section. May be worth a look as its big with lots of extra's.
Jim

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi Richr,
Are you still after an A class.... our Coach built is for sale in the 'For sale' section. May be worth a look as its big with lots of extra's.
Jim

Hi Jim

Just had a look.
Hadn't really thought about a tag axle. I'm guessing she is fairly long?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Tag axle is awesome, we are 8.1m , drives like a car , wouldnt want anything big only on a single axle, they wallow and are on their arse with a bit in the garage. Unless you have to be smaller, for parking etc , i wouldnt want anything sub 6m.. once you are too big for a car parking space , you may as well fill 2.

But, it depends on your needs, we are doing miles, and never need worry about space when we get where we are going, carry a fair bit of kit, so thats our priority. If you have a garage, expect to carry a scooter or motorbike, to get into places, especially abroad, as its so much easier to set up and use that to get round on. Or push bikes if you are that way inclined. We only use sites occasionally and have never not got on for size.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back