NOVICE TO MOTORHOMES (1 Viewer)

jaksays

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
deposit paid
Hi

We have a deposit on an apache autotrail 632 (2014) it has 2 seat belts driver and passenger only. it is a 6 berth which we thought was ideal for our family. however, we thought it would be ok to have seat belts fitted on the 2 side facing bench seats but I'm reading mixed messages about this . can anyone gives advice please on should we cancel the purchase . thank you .

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hello and welcome . I really wouldn’t advise that you use sidewards facing seatbelts .Very dangerous. Get the other people there via a second vehicle 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jaksays

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
deposit paid
been looking for absolute ages and it is a lovely however, it never occurred to us about the seat belt situation. just thought 6 berth etc. thank you, it just confirms what we already thought. going to cancel the purchase...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
been looking for absolute ages and it is a lovely however, it never occurred to us about the seat belt situation. just thought 6 berth etc. thank you, it just confirms what we already thought. going to cancel the purchase...

You've probably dodged a bullet in all honesty.

The Autotrail Apache 632 and 634 have a horrendous reputation for damp and water ingress problems and some need their entire sides, roofs and rear ends replacing after just a few years of ownership.

They are also renound for their extremely poor payload figures when registered at 3,500kg so at best they can just about cater for two people legally for a weekend away.

Best avoid!

OP
OP
J

jaksays

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
deposit paid
Thank you everyone. Like I said, it has confirmed what we were already thinking of doing. gutted.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
There will be other ‘vans! Chin-up!! (y) (y)
There’s one going in to SMC in Newark tomorrow. My 6 berth Dakota is going in as part ex against an Auto Sleeper Kingham.

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
You've probably dodged a bullet in all honesty.

The Autotrail Apache 632 and 634 have a horrendous reputation for damp and water ingress problems and some need their entire sides, roofs and rear ends replacing after just a few years of ownership.

They are also renound for their extremely poor payload figures when registered at 3,500kg so at best they can just about cater for two people legally for a weekend away.

Best avoid!
Agree with the payload (we have upgraded), but we have had no issues with damp and latest checks were below the allowances.

My experience is positive and wouldn't swop it :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the Fun House :giggle:

I suggest you pay for a year's membership as that will allow you to download the excellent 'Buyers Guide' which is free to subscribers so you know what to look for and could save you a lot of hassle.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't dismiss other vans such as Chausson and Adria and the like.

I found that a list of "don't wants" as useful as a "must have" list. You won't get everything you want but hopefully won't end up with things you don't want.

You don't say if you have a C1 license as I doubt you will ever be legal with 4 adults in a 3500 kg van.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As well as learning about seat belts/travel seats, may I suggest looking into payload and ensure you have a driving licence that enables you to drive over 3500kg vans. You will need that for a large family. There are many threads on this website which cover such matters. The good news is that oddly, road fund tax is cheaper on a van over 3500kg.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Ive cancelled our purchase of the autotrail and gone looking at a new ducato swift edge 466 6 berth with 6 seat belts ...

Jak,

The Edge 466 has a standard MTPLM of 3,650kg (requiring a C1 licence) and that gives you a payload of 509kg but this figure does not include:

1. The many optional extras.
2. Fresh water, waste water or potty waste.
3. Any weight variation in the materials being used.
4. Payload depends on being able to balance the correct weights over the axles.

.....so by my reckoning you will have about 200kg available, (including fresh water, options and weight variations to get to this figure) to be shared between five passengers, bikes, extra gas, batteries, food, clothing, bedding etc etc.

......so this van is unusable if you need to use it fore more than two people.

If you become a full FUN member then you'll be able to download the comprehensive buyers guide for free.

It would be worth a look before parting with a wedge of cash on a motorhome which is not fit for purpose.

All the best,

Andrew

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
We downloaded the buyers guide and from our point of view that in itself is so comprehensive its worth the subscription alone!
Good luck!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back