Novice advice required (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am new to owning a motor-home and would like some advice from seasoned travellers. I am hoping to purchase a Rapido 997M auto on a Mercedes base. I will need to purchase the following:-

• A satellite dish which we need to work well in Europe
  • A awning which ultimately I would like to fully enclose with both sides and front panel
  • Advice on a small quiet generator
Could you please advise which is the best brand a model I should purchase for either or all of these items. All brands claim they are the best but there is nothing better than other peoples experience. I am sure I will be asking for further help down the line but this is enough for now.
Many thanks.
Goneoff

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, Nice motorhome you have chosen:thumb:

As for your questions, Europe is a very big place so before you choose a system you should decide where in Europe you would like it to work. Try looking or here for good no nonsense advice.

There are lost of different awnings, some allow you to drive away, others are fixed to your wind out awning. A great choice can be found Link Removed

IMO The best and widely acknowledged as being the quietest are the Honda Suitcase range. The 1KW is very small. Any gennie under load will be anything but quiet, so you might be better going for a larger genny. The Honda 2KW is superb, and compact but it is heavy so if payload is a consideration it might be too heavy. Take a look Link Removed

Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun:thumb:

I am new to owning a motor-home and would like some advice from seasoned travellers. I am hoping to purchase a Rapido 997M auto on a Mercedes base. I will need to purchase the following:-

• A satellite dish which we need to work well in Europe
  • A awning which ultimately I would like to fully enclose with both sides and front panel
  • Advice on a small quiet generator
Could you please advise which is the best brand a model I should purchase for either or all of these items. All brands claim they are the best but there is nothing better than other peoples experience. I am sure I will be asking for further help down the line but this is enough for now.
Many thanks.
Goneoff

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi goneoff and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:
Good advice, as always, in Jim's post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The most important bit of advice I can offer, and this cannot be over-stressed, is do not buy anything until you have been out in the van for a while and got used to how it works and what you expect of it. It is very easy to assume you need lots of accessories, then find they stay at home in the garage.

If TV is important to you throughout Europe, then look at RoadPro's website for lots of useful help. Or phone them for advice.
Concerning a generator, be quite clear when you would need to use it. If you are on campsites, they are often not allowed, and hook-up is more effective. If on aires / free camping, how long will you stop? Because if you move every 2 or 3 days, the engine will re-charge the battery. If you need 230V on aires, some of them have hook-up or consider an inverter as an alternative to a generator. Usually, the first step in increasing electrical independence is to fit another battery.
Regarding awnings, a good roll-out version (Omnistor or Fiamma) will do the trick. Side panels are available for both to create an enclosure but again, see if you really need them first. If on aires, you generally should not put out a full awning and in many cases there will not be room as continental motorhomers expect to park quite close together. When on campsites they are of course usable, but make sure there are no gas exhaust points on the wall of the motorhome where the awning will fit. Often the heater and fridge vents are adjacent to the habitation door. This is not a problem with a simple roll-out awning, but as soon as you enclose it, there is the potential to collect CO in the room.

Hope this gives some food for thought and welcome to the fun.

Philip

p.s. another supplier of generators that I has been commended is Edge Technology

>>Link Removed<<

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
make sure there are no gas exhaust points on the wall of the motorhome where the awning will fit. Often the heater and fridge vents are adjacent to the habitation door. This is not a problem with a simple roll-out awning, but as soon as you enclose it, there is the potential to collect CO in the room.

that, Philip, is the most sensible caution iv heard for a long time and one i, and im sure many others, never even considered when giving advise.

:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
that, Philip, is the most sensible caution iv heard for a long time and one i, and im sure many others, never even considered when giving advise.

:thumb:

If your Rapido has a similar layout to mine (999M) then the fridge vents are within the awning area and should not be enclosed. I should take note of the earlier advice regarding being sure you need this, as the front and side walls are heavy and bulky to store and take some time to erect and dismantle. I had one some years ago and although the space was useful, it interfered with the ability to move at short notice which is one of the advantages of a MH over a tugger, so it was usually left at home:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome to Fun, if you need any advice on awnings etc, please give Darren a ring, he is the expert. Dont forget to mention FUN and get the Funsters discount:thumb:

Regards

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back