Nothing to battery. (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have a semi flexible solar panel, 130w and mppt controller bought as a kit to charge the leisure batteries. All has worked well since fitting it in september.

2 weeks ago the controller was showing a full battery, with solar showing 26v and no amps. Yet the motorhome readout showed battery 3/4 full.

Now the battery display on the controller shows erroneous readings; solar 27v, no amps, battery 14.8v-12.1v - 13.7v altering by the second, yet I have disconnected it from the leisure batteries. Very erratic, and to top it all, there are no readings whatsoever on the cables at the battery end, coming from the controller.

Any ideas what is going on?

Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Some controllers throw a dangerous wobbler if you connect the solar first, they need to sense a battery voltage before the solar is fed in.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
could be as simple as a blown fuse or bad joint as this is typical of some controllers when there is no battery in circuit. or could be a knackered controller

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like the controller has had it. 27 volts is very high, normal open circuit voltage on a panel is 21-22 v.

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It has been working fine since fitting---- OP didn't mention disconnecting anything????
Since fitting at the beginning of september, it has worked fine. Charging the 2 leisures very well, then approx 2 weeks ago I noticed the battery icon, showing totally full, (14.8v which it has never done before) and no amps registering, (also which it has never done before). The solar seeing 27v and no amps.

I thought that the battery was maybe full and the overcharge limiter had cut in. The MoHo battery level contradicted this, as it was indicating only half full.

Then in the last week the controller started fluctuating, 14.8v to 12.1v to 13.7v and anything in between, in seconds. I disconnected the solar panel then batteries and let it rest a while. Reconnected the batteries, and lastly the panel. It fired up giving the same irrational info.

I am not in anyway, electronically minded, but thought I would try my multi meter on the contacts. The panel shows 27v no amps, on the battery terminals of the controller its readings are all over the place. As a final test, wether right or wrong, I disconnected the cables from the batteries and stuck the multi meter on, and nothing.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Sorted! I spent a while testing things and whittled it down to a faulty cable....I thought. It was a new cable 6 months ago, so I wasn't really convinced, then I thought I will check the fuse, again. It appeared good (the flat blade fuse with a wiggle in it) and wasn't obviously blown, but I though I will change it anyway.....and blow me, it all works again! It was a faulty fuse!!!

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back