Not the usual A class or not questions (1 Viewer)

TallOak

Free Member
Nov 27, 2019
South East
Funster No
MH
Researching....!
Exp
Many many years caravanning
Hey all,

Ive had various caravans over the years, and for reasons for my family it now seems a good idea to get a motorhome.

Like all newbies Im trying to work out the more pragmatic ownership things of owning an A or C class.

Im aware of the servicing issues of an A class, windscreen insurance, etc.

Though the questions I would like to ask the experienced amongst you are
(All assuming its the same base vehicle chassis)

- Which is better for MPG?
- Which are least to insure?
- Are either more reliable in terms of body join seals, water ingress?

Many thanks in advance

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome to the forum.

It is very difficult to answer your question as most will pick a motorhome on things like the layout, how many berths they need, will it fit on the drive etc.

As for which style is more reliable, I don't think any style has the leading edge on that score, so much depends on the manufacturer.

Sorry, not much help at all really!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hey all,

Ive had various caravans over the years, and for reasons for my family it now seems a good idea to get a motorhome.

Like all newbies Im trying to work out the more pragmatic ownership things of owning an A or C class.

Im aware of the servicing issues of an A class, windscreen insurance, etc.

Though the questions I would like to ask the experienced amongst you are
(All assuming its the same base vehicle chassis)

- Which is better for MPG?
- Which are least to insure?
- Are either more reliable in terms of body join seals, water ingress?

Many thanks in advance
I too think you are looking at the wrong priorities. Layout, style and payload are what you need to consider. As well as reputation.

We used to have a C class but now have an A class. We would never willingly change back. With the A class the cab feels much more part of the interior. It is wider and warmer and gives a much better panoramic view both while driving and also when parked up.

Given that the base vehicles are the same, MPG is affected by driving style, wind resistance and weight. I have always had a heavy right foot so not good for MPG. On our previous 2.3 litre 3.5t low profile C class we averaged 24.9mpg. On our existing 3 litre 4.5t A class we are averaging 24.1mpg. Given the larger engine and heavier weight that would suggest that the A class may have a slightly lower wind resistance. I suspect that the wind resistance of a C class with a large lump on the front to accommodate an overhead bed would be even worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
peterc10 has got it about right.
Like him we’ve had both types and much prefer the A class for the same reasons.
Much better views out of the big screen, particularly when parked.
More space up front.
We haven’t found any increase in fuel consumption but have found the windscreen seems to be a stone magnet for some reason.
The vehicle does seem very wide at first if you’re not used to driving an A class even though it’s all an optical illusio.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Having owned both - I would say :-
Which is better for MPG? Ours have been similar mpg for both.
Which are least to insure? Ours have always been about the same cost to insure.
Are either more reliable in terms of body join seals, water ingress? Not considered this that much although we had an issue with a roof seal on a C Class Elddis Sunseeker 25 (2003 model)
and when we pxed our Bessacarr the dealer found damp round a window (but that could happen in an A class as the windows are similar)

We have gone for layout and payload in the main (we are on our 13th Van in 11 years although that includes a foray into PVC ownership as well)

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Given that the base vehicles are the same, MPG is affected by driving style, wind resistance and weight. I have always had a heavy right foot so not good for MPG. On our previous 2.3 litre 3.5t low profile C class we averaged 24.9mpg. On our existing 3 litre 4.5t A class we are averaging 24.1mpg. Given the larger engine and heavier weight that would suggest that the A class may have a slightly lower wind resistance. I suspect that the wind resistance of a C class with a large lump on the front to accommodate an overhead bed would be even worse.

New class C 3.5t vehicles today should achieve around the 30mpg mark. Ours certainly does.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have gone for layout and payload in the main (we are on our 13th Van in 11 years although that includes a foray into PVC ownership as well)
Flipping heck, and I thought the number of times we've changed MHs was a lot ... ! :oops:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TallOak

Free Member
Nov 27, 2019
South East
Funster No
MH
Researching....!
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Im not so bothered about layout considerations as we are familiar with small holiday living space.

But the nitty gritty of running the motorhome is a key consideration. I do love A class', so all sounds encouraging.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My main reason for buying our first A-class in 2002 was to avoid the metal cab which attracted the rust worm on our previous PVC's. However, corrosion protection now seems to be much better on the later original cab models.

We seem to get some squeaks and rattles with the A-class cab unless driving on smooth roads. The metal cab on the C-class is undoubtedly stronger and should be squeak and rattle free.

Prefer the large rear view bus style mirrors on the A-class but these can sometimes restrict sideways visibility at junctions. Also, they are more prone to collision damage.

Would I buy another A-class? Apart from the extra room in the cab with just one cab door....think I'm erring towards a C-class.

Upvote 0

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Cruise control for mpg. Our only motorhome is too big, too expensive and too complicated but its easy and very comfortable to use. You will have to make your own mistakes.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Im not so bothered about layout considerations as we are familiar with small holiday living space.

But the nitty gritty of running the motorhome is a key consideration. I do love A class', so all sounds encouraging.

Thanks again!
One thing to think about is that in practice using a motorhome is not like using a caravan, despite their apparent similarities. Caravans are best at getting to a destination and staying there, after all you have a car to tour around while you are there. Motorhomes are much more about the journey. We rarely stay long in any one place, but we often move just a few miles to the next town or attraction. We rarely plan ahead unless we have to and most times when we set off in the morning we do not know for sure where we will stay that night.

We also love it that when we do stop, we turn the engine off, put the handbrake on, turn the front seats around and then relax with a brew or a glass of wine or beer. No faff getting the caravan reversed in, sorting out the water and drainage or putting up what seems to be the obligatory awning. Likewise leaving can be much quicker. We can get up, both get showered and dressed, have the obligatory tea and breakfast and be off in no time if need be. Or we can just laze about until we feel like going!

And a warning about payload. A lot more is needed with motorhomes than with caravans. Remember in a motorhome the payload will have to include all the people as well as all the other stuff that you cram into and on top of the towcar. And, to make the most of flexibility, we always travel with a full tank of water (and a scooter in the garage). It all adds up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TallOak

Free Member
Nov 27, 2019
South East
Funster No
MH
Researching....!
Exp
Im certainly aware of your points, and they are why it would suit us better.

I see what everyone now means about considering payload- having a family + big dog is something I had overlooked in payload.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Layout and payload should be your consideration.
If you're worried about mpg, then I assume that cost is an issue for you. I'd go for C-class in that case because A-class are premium. However, A-class may give you a better sleeping arrangement and are warmer. C-class, on the other hand, have an extra door (or two) at the front - better for the driver.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TallOak

Free Member
Nov 27, 2019
South East
Funster No
MH
Researching....!
Exp
.....Just compared payloads of a few models Ive been looking at...A class it is.

Blimey. Actually had no idea.

BIG thanks.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

I see what everyone now means about considering payload- having a family + big dog is something I had overlooked in payload.
One more important thing that nobody seems to have covered is what licence you have. If you do not have a C1 licence you will be limited to 3.5t MGW. That will make it very difficult for you if you have teenagers, dogs bikes etc. And it may well preclude many A classes. It is not impossible but you will need to think very carefully about the payload and what you can and can't carry.

If you passed your driving test up to the end of 1996 you will automatically have the C1 entitlement that you will keep until you are 70. After that you will need a medical every 3 years to keep it. If you passed after 1996 you will have to take LGV training and a test to get your C1. With the C1 you are entitled to drive things up to 7.5t MGW.

One more thing. You are coming up to the 5 post limit that non-subscribing members have. After that you will be able to read everything, but not post. You will need to subscribe £15 per year to continue to post. I suspect you have already realised how valuable the advice you get on this forum is. I certainly get my money's worth each year.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Germany provided a free replacem
????? what a bunch of precious old numptys you lot are ??
Just curious, what was fastening the Mirror?. That made it impossible to remove without breakage?
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again!
Go for what you love
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again!
Go for what you love

Upvote 0

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003

Payloads I agree with everyone else are definitely important as you have already said you have family.. dogs etc..
Something else to mention is travel seats with belts.. You said layout isn't something you are fused on I think I read based on confined living spaces on holiday in the past but we have alot of converting caravan customers moving into the motorhome industry that look at 4/5 berth motorhomes for them and their family with the popular fixed bed / front parallel sofas in the lounge area to give the most social lounging space and forget only two people can legally travel.. Then you look at a model putting in a half dinnet in instead of the parallel sofa and it completly changes the space for you and your family and the whole feel to the interior.. However the belts are a requirement for you potentially?

All these things need to be considered and the best thing for you is to go to a dealer forecourt and look whats available with the various options and hopefully who ever you speak too will give the correct advise based on your requirements..

I see you are East Sussex so you are more than welcome to pop in and myself or the team here can run through some comparisons at this early stage of you looking for the potential to buy in the future.

Good luck with your search in the meantime

James

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Thanks for the replies.

you should be bothered about it...extremely bothered
a motorhome could do 20mpg or 30mpg but you can live with that, having to sit in each others lap to eat dinner.... not so good, sitting on the toilet with your feet in the oven with all the family watching.....not so good, having the kids climb over your bed to use the toilet in the night...not so good, etc
the difference in £s for mpg is easily dwarfed by happiness in layout

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
you should be bothered about it...extremely bothered
a motorhome could do 20mpg or 30mpg but you can live with that, having to sit in each others lap to eat dinner.... not so good, sitting on the toilet with your feet in the oven with all the family watching.....not so good, having the kids climb over your bed to use the toilet in the night...not so good, etc
the difference in £s for mpg is easily dwarfed by happiness in layout
Totally agree with the above. Getting the right layout is the first thing, plus the number of travel seats if buying for the family.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back