Not the best start to 11 months away!!! (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So, there I was on the M20 heading for the tunnel for 11 months away when...........it all stopped.
Just cut out. 2 hours from depatprture:cry:
Hard shoulder time.
Bit peed off as had everything done and sorted, serviced and mot this week, and POW - all gone wrong.
Turns out a pipe had failed - something to do with crank pressure return and air mass sensor etc. ( not very technical me!) also a coolant hose split, probably due to the former.
Anyway, RAC through a comfort Aviva policy called, and were very good, patrol within 45 mins, diagnosed problem, and recovery arranged. Both me and the rac guy said ' need a commercial recovery ' ( covered) and told them weight and length ( 8.5m and 5T)
What do they send..........you guessed it.....too small!
Long story short, after 6 hours on the hard shoulder a bloody great artic with a low loading trailer turns up!
Anyway, get recovered to a place in Kent called Tomsett. Very good, had an overnight there and lots of attention today, problems found and a temporary fix made. Trouble is, the part I need has to come from Fiat in Italy, week delivery!!! Bugger. Tunnel re-arranged. Have to say they were very good and really nice folk!

Anyway, leave there today and get to CCC site at Canterbury ( had a bogof offer) and plan to go to a THS at Eastbourne for the weekend, see the airshow, and wait for the part to arrive.

Having stopped at reception and booked in, bugger wouldn't engage drive ( automatic) until I selected reverse first - odd, then when I got on my pitch, popped the bonnet and there's all the new coolant sprayed all over the engine bay!!! No signs of over heating, no warning lights, nothing.
Mystery. Anyway, will have a few bevis tonight and hava look in the morning, not much else I can do!!! I suspect a trip back to the garage on Friday if I can make it, and hope to get on the tunnel by the end of next week, unless I need a new engine o_O

Good job I'm not a stress head ;)

Bugger :LOL:

.......should rename myself @DavidG58 !!!!!!!!!!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Yikes, I'd be tearing my hair out, even though I know it wouldn't help the situation. Strange thing is that when things really go wrong I'm cool calm & collected, my old training kicks in.

Hope you get it all put right & have a great time away.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good grief, what a pain!! :( You must be so pee..d off. Hope you can get it all sorted and on your way.

Glad to hear the tunnel staff were helpful, that's always been our experience.

Good luck with getting everything fixed so you can make a fresh start to your adventure. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Look on the bright side, at least you get to see e air show, best of luck anyway, sounds like you need some(y)

Martin

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Hope you get it sorted so you can enjoy your trip we are at the caravan club site getting the tunnel in the morning if we can help in anyway let us no .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What a pain, I did put a smiley for the last line but not really appropriate for the op. Hope you're sorted and away soon.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Blimey! I suppose the best way of looking at it is that things can only get better......can't they?!
Wish you best of luck from now on.
Sending the wrong size breakdown truck seems common,whoever you're with for breakdown cover

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
As my Auntie used to say 'sod, shit, bugger and blast'.......there are some situations where it's called for!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a very similar experience with Comfort and RAC with the added complication that they did not link our policy correctly so had no record of anything other basic breakdown, tedious!:mad:

Sounds like you plan to make the best of a crap situation, fingers crossed it works out as hoped :D.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Really tough luck,but as others have said,maybe better(if that's the right word) on that side of the channel.
Sounds like before an 11 month trip you are getting it all sorted before you go! Eventually,enjoy your time.
Don't worry the rest of the trip will go swimmingly,just hope you don't get bored :sneaky:.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hope they sort it all out Dave, better here than in France. Did you get your awning fixed?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hope they get your van fixed next week Dave.

If they need to take your van off the road for a few days, you're always welcome at our place.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What a nightmare :eek: hope your soon sorted, we go next Wednesday. ;) Taking a steady ride through france so you might pass us. :D2
Bob and Janie.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to hear that Dave, hope you get it sorted and like others have said - better here than on t'other side..... Enjoy the air show (y)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Sorry Dave to hear that you had further problems occur, hope it turns out not to be too serious and that you get it sorted in time to catch your train, don't forget you can alter your date or time for the tunnel online ..only need your ref number and their password to do so

John n Kath x

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Good luck guys.
We'll have a drink to commiserate when we see you in Spain! (If you can still stomach Soberano)

What did we miss with your awning?

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Good luck guys.
We'll have a drink to commiserate when we see you in Spain! (If you can still stomach Soberano)

What did we miss with your awning?

It decided not to roll in straight, then the gearing went, fabric was too stretched and had to secure it in the housing with good old cable ties and tape!
Decided to have it removed.
Then decided I needed one in the sun, so got a replacement fitted a couple of days later lol!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning D + J, sorry to hear your woes, someone has a thing against David's up there somewhere :)

Nice to see you seeing the best side of it all, at least you are retired, the wait will hopefully not seem too long, imagine if you only had a two week holiday booked o_Oo_O

Hope it gets sorted quickly and correctly (y)

Will be thinking of you as we 'hopefully' pass by on the M20 on Saturday

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back