Not sure about aires (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That Aire is near the Circus School and have to agree I wouldn’t want to stay on it, we’ve only ever stayed on it to have lunch, differently better Aires than that.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The worst thing about Aires I found was that they were mainly in France.

Not my cup of tea.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Fresnay was our first aire as well 18 months ago, as you say seems a bit weird, but very quiet till about 8;00am when the locals start using the recycling bins. Since then we have stayed on about another 50 or so, and like the easy going nature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The worst thing about Aires I found was that they were mainly in France.

I note that you say mainly in France but many are now opening in Spain though thank goodness not on the Costas. They are in real Spain and funded by the EU.

My criteria for an Aire is definitely away from a Tourist spot, safe,and within easy distance of a Bar (pre dinner) and Restarants, it’s horses for courses we like to eat out and have been doing this for over 40years.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You are absolutely right. Sometimes they are convenient for one night, but others are so special they deserve an extra couple of nights. We never out stay our welcome, if its busy then we just move on to the next surprise.

The ones we stayed on were pretty quiet in October :)

We are not ones for meals out except special occasions so near places we can buy local food or a good local market suits us. I like places with some history or local crafts to seek out and explore.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As too @Clarky 's photo's , 2nd is Sancoins lovely aire
And 3rd is La Mailleraye sur Seine again fab aire .
We parked next to him there in sept last year .

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As too @Clarky 's photo's , 2nd is Sancoins lovely aire
And 3rd is La Mailleraye sur Seine again fab aire .
We parked next to him there in sept last year .
Yes, it was great to meet you at last @FIDGET.
The top one is Lac de Pareloup, a municipal campsite now converted into an aire. Hookup and water at the pitches and high up in the hills south of Rodez.
There are video's showing the way to all those aires and many more on my YouTube channel with a link below this post.

Richard.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I suspect we will be down in Cadiz early
Cadiz has 4 colour-coded walks to assist tourists. Pick up a map of the walks at the tourist information centre. The Cadiz Tourist Information Centre is a large, round dark-grey building located in a grassed area on Avenida Cuatro de Diciembre de 1977 – not far from the ferry port.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Moved on today’s a long drive about 350 miles to an aire at Biarritz it’s a pay before you enter 12 euros. The French crack me up there are at least 3 units with trailers taking up 4 parking slots each and another 2 look like they live here they even have dog kennels out side there vans lol . But we do have electric so all is good . Mellowing slightly from last nights views .

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Moved on today’s a long drive about 350 miles to an aire at Biarritz it’s a pay before you enter 12 euros. The French crack me up there are at least 3 units with trailers taking up 4 parking slots each and another 2 look like they live here they even have dog kennels out side there vans lol . But we do have electric so all is good . Mellowing slightly from last nights views .
There is a very pleasant walk around the country park beside the aire. Is seem to remember it was quite a pleasant aire from our last visit just over a year ago.
There were a couple of French vans then that seemed to be permanent fixtures.

Richard.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
View attachment 278174 Well parked up on our first Aire , I am not so sure I think I am a campsite man at heart lol . It’s very quite but I can’t just get my head round the concept of parking up on waste ground not knocking it or anyone but I guess it’s just me . By the way we are at fresnay sur Sarthe .

I've been to that one. Yes, just a bit of hard standing with a tap and waste drainage. Left over from the days when the station, to the rt of the tent, had trains. If you walk out of the photo, to the right, there's a supermarket. I hope you found it.

It is one of the least inspiring aires but it served as a waypoint for me and a couple of FR MHs that pulled up. I watched one of them come to a halt. Then there was a whirring sound - wha? TV sat dish being aligned! How very different life must be in one of those to my self-build. But I wouldn't swap.

About as bleak as you can get is the one at Tafalla, in Spain. Just one of those occasions when you have done the miles for the day and just need to pull up. It's the waste ground of where a factory used to be. There's a tap and a waste drain....

upload_2019-1-28_10-56-2.png

Last edited:

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Yep, don't be too eager to judge, there are some fantastic aires out there, we think it getting harder due to immigrants in certain places but we have had some great stays on aires and there are many to choose from in France, if you don't like the look of where you are, there is usually another not too far away, just move on.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Naturally, when something is presented as "free", the English look for a catch. If you do your homework, Aires can be economical in the extreme.
In the UK, apart from Scotland, we have a poor attitude to motorhomes and if we simply park up for the night, we are considered gypsies. I had eggs and silly string plastered on my windscreen on one occasion!
I was very fortunate to tour New Zealand in a MH, and seen the way in which the country welcomes MH's, even advertising "Motorhome Friendly Town" and directing you to Freedom Camping Sites. Even the NZMCA club has a directory of sites, and charges $6 a night (£3) normally.
In the main, France is ok, and a pleasure to drive through, Non Toll, of course, compared to UK roads, which seem to handle half the trucks in Europe at one time.
A directory of known Aires, published by the club would be useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back