Not so newbie newbies (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2018
Funster No
Hi
We've been meaning to introduce ourselves since we joined but it seems to have been a long road from when we started last year to actually getting to a point where we are actually preparing for our first proper trip. We are Frank and Veronika from Guildford. We have hired vans before to try out and been to some shows and decided what we wanted as our first van. We bought a new left hand drive Carthago Malibu 600LE from a dealer in Stralsund Germany. Unfortunately it sprung an oil leak on the way back but this was sorted under Fiat's warranty, the warranty department in Italy were very good.

I bought the Right Hand drive lights from a MotorhomeFunster and a new MPH speedo dial insert from Lockwood International. Both were very easily fitted myself and after getting a local MOT garage to verify it for a reasonable fee set about registering with DVLA. Sorry forgot to say that in the meantime I had to pay UK VAT, this should have been very straightforward and quick but I had been incorrectly advised by HMRC that the electronic form could be drafted before I left for Germany, it can't you have to delete it and fill it in again after the imported date.

Anyway then followed the registration saga - 4 months without boring you with all the details (I have written something before on this) we finally got a registration in December 2019. I am glad I managed to get in before Brexit, dread to think what it will be like after.

So next step was to fit the extras, decided to do this in UK with Sunstore in Sussex. Can thoroughly recommend them discussed details before the import, it was much cheaper than at the dealer in Germany and because the dealer in Germany couldn't fit the extras without charging VAT, they would have increased the value for UK VAT assessment, and I'm not sure if I could have claimed the German VAT back? Tom at Sunstore was very helpful with all the technical stuff - had a solar panel fitted (fridge is electric only); LPG underslung gas tank; myfi and an extra 12v socket running off the twin leisure batteries for laptop charging.

By the time we were ready Coronavirus was upon us we had just managed to get a few days in Norfolk on our first trip when Boris announced the lockdown and we had to rush back home where the van has stood since then.

Just preparing and planning for our first trip across Europe. We have been enjoying reading the posts on the forum, all very helpful.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Another belated :pink: I think the virus caught a lot of us out. Just getting mobile myself after buying a new to me van in March. Happy travels.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren! (y) :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Welcome to Fun. Wow thats quite a story. How are you finding the LHD in the UK? I have a LHD and certainly the first 1000 miles were scary at times on some UK narrower roads. Looking forward to driving it on the EU roads but need to retire first! Enjoy your next tip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back