Not quite a motorhome question (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You guys always know the answer so perhaps you can help me on this one.

My Ford Mondeo has water in both rear passenger footwells. No shortage of clues on the internet as to how the water might get in. Might be blocked pollen filters, door drains, air con overflow, windscreen fitment. But, my question is how do I find the right sort of garage/mechanic who can track down which one it is and fix it.

It is all just that bit too complicated for me.
Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Both rear foot wells? Is there a transmission tunnel between them? If so I would suggest rear window seals running down parcel shelf and into foot wells. It would be unusual and unlucky for both window/door seals to fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Thanks for the response but I am hoping to find an expert who is used to fixing the problem rather than suggestions for me ( fully qualified numpty) to fix it.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Dey area, then put powder down and when it gets wet again, you will have a trail to follow in the powder. You just have to catch it before the area gets soaked and you cannot tell. I had front foot well wet and that was from the pollen filter not put back properly after a service, but cannot see how this would get you wet in the rear foot wells, or fron Air Con either.
Word of mouth is the only real way of telling a good garage or maybe "check a trade".

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would try calling in at or phoning your local Ford dealer, you might get lucky and it be a known problem (y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
As said, a decent Ford dealer would have come across most "weird" problems and SHOULD be able to advise. Can you get underneath and look for any missing grommets in the transmission tunnel etc ??
Good luck.
Mitch.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Was you parked in York?
image.jpeg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had similar to this with a Peugeot, I heard water sploshing around and was in the sills they had blocked the drain holes with waxy stuff and a quick poke up all of them with a rod resulted in a 1/2 gallon of water pouring out of them. It can be the same with doors and tailgates. If the level gets too high the water comes in the holes to the inside, that are supposedly covered by tape.
Have a poke around, welding rod is about right size or thin fencing wire.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi "Bernardfeay"
By ""a poke up the sills"" they mean where the floor meets the sill, there is about a 20mm crimped and spot welded join. ( the part that runs the length of the car between the front and rear wheel arches and points down towards the ground.) In this join there are several points where small holes, (usually facing slightly towards the rear) are left open, so that any water within the sills can find its way out and fall to the floor. It is possible to insert a 1mm welding rod into these holes and clear any debris or mud that has blocked the holes.
I have had up to 4 pints of water out of each side on customers cars in the past !!!
WELL worth a try.
Sorry for my "tortuous" explanation, but if you are not technically minded there was no other way to get you to the right spot !!
Mitch. (y)(y)(y).

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Sorry can't advise on anyone to fix it but I had this problem with my mondeo
In the door frame there is a plastic sheet attached and any water ingress is directed down to the base of the door where it exits through the drain holes. The plastic in mine was damaged allowing the water into the rear foot wells. I relined mine with black plastic bin bags and it remained dry for five years. It was still OK when I sold it.
Hopefully you can find mechanic/ body shop who can repair it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back