Not motor homing but looking for solar / fan ideas...... (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I'm currently fitting out a container for long term storage of domestic items. Its racked out and insulated and am just fitting a box section plastisol roof over it t keep the weather off and to keep it cooler. It has occurred to me that I may be able to attach an extraction fan and solar panel that would ensure a good circulation of air within! Has anyone any suggestions as to which fan/ panel I could use for long term unattended function and is it just as simple as I seem to think it would be. Is forced extraction a good idea anyway as if I pull air out then fresh moist air would replace it wouldn't it? Is this a good state of affairs? In terms of long term unattended function then I would be thinking of around 5-10 years. Incidently not too fussed about 24/ 7 operation as I know without a buffer (ie battery) then the fan will start and stop dependent upon the ambient sunlight..... Thoughts / suggestions anyone?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My first thoughts are a computer fan and either a linear voltage regulator, or buck regulator circuit to drop the panel voltage to 12v

How big is the container?

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My bike shed is sealed (as much as possible) and insulated. The bike MUST be dry when it goes in. It gets quite hot in there when the sun's on it, but it doesn't matter. It's heated to 10°c in winter to keep the damp off it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I am about to fit 1 of these to my boat. I have had 2 similar units installed and they have been effective at keeping the cabin mould- free during winters. I have ventilation vents in the door, so air is drawn through the cabin. They are at least 10 years old, and the solar panels are failing.

The advantages of the new one I'm about to fit is that it has a rechargeable battery, so will run 24/7. Also, the direction of flow can be switched in/out, so with 2 of them you can get an airflow through with no additional vents

SOLAR FAN

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
My first thoughts are a computer fan and either a linear voltage regulator, or buck regulator circuit to drop the panel voltage to 12v

How big is the container?
the container is 30ft with a high top. I'm not able to heat it internally in the winter as it has no source of power other than solar, and I want that to be as simple as so as to have no maintenance and or 'other' issues as it will be left unattended in a friends horticultural yard!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I am about to fit 1 of these to my boat. I have had 2 similar units installed and they have been effective at keeping the cabin mould- free during winters. I have ventilation vents in the door, so air is drawn through the cabin. They are at least 10 years old, and the solar panels are failing.

The advantages of the new one I'm about to fit is that it has a rechargeable battery, so will run 24/7. Also, the direction of flow can be switched in/out, so with 2 of them you can get an airflow through with no additional vents

SOLAR FAN
These look like the kind of thing I'm thinking about but I don't want to be cutting holes in the container, more attaching the fan to the static vents on the side outside and the solar panel to the adjacent roof area. The fan and any other 'gubbins' being protected to a degree by the overhang of the box roof that I'm fitting now!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back