Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hello M1KE....
I bought a 25 litre plastic Jerry can, and I drop a submersible Whale pump in it, put the home made lead (with an in-line switch fitted by me) and nip in and plug it into the 12volt plug inside the van and fill up with water.
I have a (chinese special from Spain) little trolley which I carry the Jerry can on to refill from the supply... I also use it to carry the Loo cassette when emptying..
This doesn't cause me any grief doing it this way (( and I have spinal prob's..))
Ref the RV cam; I am keeping shtumm..
Bike rack ?? Just adjust the rails which the bikes sit on.... Move the one furthest from the van (when horizontal ) closer to the van... and the one that is nearer to the van, further away. This should clear the spare wheel cover and let you change a flat....
I see that you are fed up with the replies you have received ... But generally,
this site is the most helpful and patient advice around !!
Try not to bite the hand that is trying to help you !!
Mitch.
PS. I have a 2014 Autotrail Tracker with a Fiamma 2 bike rack.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I have just bought a brand new Autotrail Tracker FB with reversing camera. Never gave it a second thought that i wouldn't be able to use it as a rear view camera whilst on the move like I could with my Swift Kontiki, but alas no! It only works as a reversing camera with no other option. So now having spent over 50 grand on a motorhome I now have to somehow rig up another camera. Anyone got any suggestions or advice? I would really like a rear view mirror mounted monitor?

Whilst I'm griping I also discovered that there is no external power point to plug in a water pump to pump fresh water into the tank? I know i can use a hose but what happens when im all set up on a pitch and I want to put water in the tank and im miles away from the tap? Again if anyone has encountered this problem i would be interested to hear your views.

I think the clue's is in the name; It's a reversing camera, not a rear view camera. I suppose you could disconnect it from the current monitor and feed it to another monitor.

As for water, I use a funnel and a 10 litre container if I can't pull up next to a tap.

I've had two AutoTrails and been really happy with them both. No damp problems and no other major moans.

Mike

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thanks that's very helpful. Not sure I was asking for therapy, just advice regarding the camera. I'm very sure you would have donned your sandals and a spread sheet and gone round it for a fortnight? Silly me for thinking that the camera would be on all the time on a £56k motorhome. Still, it's not the end of the world is it? It's not like having testicular cancer or losing all your life savings? The bike issue is sorted as I will never have a puncture, I have discovered that in fact my mobile home has wheels and I can drive to a tap, (hurrah for that because I didn't check it would have wheels with tyres on delivery), and I will be driving around in reverse from now on so that I can see where I'm going at all times. And I will be voting out of Europe if anyone is even remotely interested! Cheers, Mike.
That told smartie pants :rofl:

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Been motorhoming 8 years, never taken water to the van, just take the van to the water.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Try not to bite the hand that is trying to help you !!
Mitch.
PS. I have a 2014 Autotrail Tracker with a Fiamma 2 bike rack.

I always appreciate help and advice and have thanked people that have given me sensible advice pertanent to my question on this thread. I have already adapted my Whale pump to now work on a 12v supply by snipping off the 2 pin plug and connecting a cigar lighter plug. I use it all the time especially when I have my Safari room bolted onto the side of my motorhome. My Kontiki 679 had a plug right next to the water tank so it was handy but I forgot to check this when I bought it. Having said that it would not have been a deal breaker. The bike rack is just what it is really, its the best that can be done under the circumstances. Even the guy who demonstrated the van when I picked it up had to apologise that it was such a poor design. (your comment just came through Mitch I'm half way through a reply!),,,,,The camera situation was a shock really as it never occured to me that a 2016 motorhome would not have a permanently on rear view, especially as the 2016 AutoTrail brochure shows that the Media Pack 2 has a Reversing Camera but also a rear view cam on the rear view mirror. (At least that is how I interpreted it). Anyway its a good job I didn't tell you about my final gripe??.....Oh OK then...Who on earth designed the water pipes and the heater drain plug to be sighted at floor level right in front of the boot hatch? That's crazy! If you slide your chairs in its going to rip the pipes and valve off. Pictures to follow. I have already bought some conduit to cover the pipes up. Thanks for taking the time to comment Mitch, at least you didn't abuse me.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
IMG-20160531-WA0008.jpg

These are the pipes right at the entrance to the storage space. How long do you reccon that yellow valve will last?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My Kontiki 679 had a plug right next to the water tank so it was handy but I forgot to check this when I bought it

Ahh. You mean the little 2 pin socket.

I have a feeling that may be just a Swift thing. Some friends of ours have a Bolero that has one.

I can't recall ever seeing it on any other make of van.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Ahh. You mean the little 2 pin socket.

I have a feeling that may be just a Swift thing. Some friends of ours have a Bolero that has one.

I can't recall ever seeing it on any other make of van.

My friends AutoTrail Apache has one next to the fill point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Disgracrful. Some plastic trunking would cost about £2. Not much to ask.

I totally agree, however I can't think of a way of covering the valve short of re siting it. They could have moved it 6" to the left and hidden it next to the water heater.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My friends AutoTrail Apache has one next to the fill point.

Not just a Swift thing then. How old is the Apache? Maybe they used to do it as standard and have stopped. It would make no sense to randomly put it on some models but not others.

That's the sort of non essential thing they could get away with dumping if customer feedback suggested that not many people use it.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Not just a Swift thing then. How old is the Apache? Maybe they used to do it as standard and have stopped. It would make no sense to randomly put it on some models but not others.

That's the sort of non essential thing they could get away with dumping if customer feedback suggested that not many people use it.

His is a 2014 Autotrail. I think you are probably right Nick that not many motorhomers use pumps and they tend to use the fill stations. Shed draggers generaly use pumps but when I am all set up, that's it, I cannot move without a major drama.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 108987
These are the pipes right at the entrance to the storage space. How long do you reccon that yellow valve will last?

That's poor. It won't last 5 minutes.

Is that the boiler frost dump valve? If so it's in a bad position even without the risk of damage. It's going to get colder there than almost anywhere else on the van.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
His is a 2014 Autotrail. I think you are probably right Nick that not many motorhomers use pumps and they tend to use the fill stations. Shed draggers generaly use pumps but when I am all set up, that's it, I cannot move without a major drama.

We use a pump and I even bought a socket to install near the inlet.

Never bothered installing it though. Kitchen window method works well enough for me.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
People have different requirements, i for one only wanted the camera on when towing my Hydra trail as i have had some issues with it bending in the past. This proved to be the case last year when i went to pickup a scooter (300cc) in Manchester with the motorhome and hydratrail. Loaded the scooter on and drove out the close and within a 100 yards looked at the camera and found the scooter nearly touching the back of the motorhome. Now without that camera i would of almost certainly caused a lot of damage whilst going down the motorway. As it was i spotted it almost straight away and managed to sort it enough to get back where i then got the hydratrail sorted (bar strengthened for it to work). For me it is essential but not for normal use or non towing use as the normal reverse camera comes on when reversing which is enough.

There are certain things that you just cannot check and these only become apparent or you think of them once you have the motorhome, we all try to cover off as much as we can before parting with all that money but as they say we are only human.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My last Bailey 745 had an incredibly sharp finned Alde radiator fitted just above and inside the rear storage door, with no guard or cover. It was in just the right place to slice your hand open (my wife did) when loading up if you didn't know it was there. I told Bailey and they couldn't give a toss, to put it mildly. I think they design the basic van on computers then let the apprentices decide where to put the cables, pipes and dangerous fittings. They certainly look like major afterthoughts in some vans.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
People have different requirements, i for one only wanted the camera on when towing my Hydra trail as i have had some issues with it bending in the past. This proved to be the case last year when i went to pickup a scooter (300cc) in Manchester with the motorhome and hydratrail. Loaded the scooter on and drove out the close and within a 100 yards looked at the camera and found the scooter nearly touching the back of the motorhome. Now without that camera i would of almost certainly caused a lot of damage whilst going down the motorway. As it was i spotted it almost straight away and managed to sort it enough to get back where i then got the hydratrail sorted (bar strengthened for it to work). For me it is essential but not for normal use or non towing use as the normal reverse camera comes on when reversing which is enough.

There are certain things that you just cannot check and these only become apparent or you think of them once you have the motorhome, we all try to cover off as much as we can before parting with all that money but as they say we are only human.

Couldn't agree more zac. I really kicked myself when I found out because I could have probably negociated another camera in the deal.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That's poor. It won't last 5 minutes.

Is that the boiler frost dump valve? If so it's in a bad position even without the risk of damage. It's going to get colder there than almost anywhere else on the van.

They are not auto dump like on some vans. Just a manual one...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Driving experience in bigger vehicles has a lot to do with the camera issue as well.

I spent years driving big panel vans with full bulkheads, so no rear view mirrors, and when rear view cameras hadn't even been thought of. Once you get used to doing everything with the wing mirrors only it becomes second nature.

Our first motorhome had a twin camera set up on it and other than switching it on once to see if it worked I never used the rear view one.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ok M1KE. No problem.
That IS a damn silly place to put the dump valve..
Re the bike rack :- Flip it down to the horizontal and move the bike carrying rail NEAREST to the van, away from the van to the next slot.
It is just a matter of undoing the 2 little dome headed nuts that hold the bike carrying rail to the frame of the rack and refitting it in the next slot AWAY from the van..
You WILL then be able to access the spare..
My rack is mounted exactly the same as yours.. and that solved it for me.
Good luck.
Mitch. (y)

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I have 2 huge Mountain Bikes which I take away with me Mitch so I need the space. I'll leave the rack as is and cross the puncture problem as and when. I just have to make sure I have a suitable spanner on board at all times so I can remove the rail.:)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I've never understood why people seem to think that a permanently on rear view camera is essential to driving a motorhome and that it's impossible to do so without one.

Does anyone remember the person last year who cancelled their holiday and went home because their camera packed up when Eddie was on holiday? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't any of your vans have wing mirrors?

The pump supply question. We use a pump quite happily and don't have an external supply next to the inlet. Our solution is highly technical and a wonder of modern engineering.

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Having had both I have to say driving on a motorway or dual carriage way with the rear camera makes life easier, I never use the reversing camera, it's on but i don't find it, useful, always use the mirrors

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I totally agree, however I can't think of a way of covering the valve short of re siting it.

Which, I think, is not that easy as there is a pipe going straight down under it.

A box like this, you could hack out the bottom and have a nice screwd lid over the valve.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Which, I think, is not that easy as there is a pipe going straight down under it.

A box like this, you could hack out the bottom and have a nice screwd lid over the valve.

That is a great idea Brian!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
With all the pipes UNDER the floor of the locker..
And a trap door type flap above the valve.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back