LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I find that rarely do the manufacturers add the accessories that we actually "want" They add the accessories that they think will sell their motorhomes.

The spec says reversing camera and that is what you got. Had you discussed what you wanted with an aftermarket installation company, your end result would have been different.

When a spec sheet states "solar panel" the buyer thinks "Top of the range" the buyer for the manufacturer thinks "how cheap can I get them"

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you move the bike rack up, you're going to have to lift your bikes further ever time you use them

However you're highly unlikely to ever need to use the spare wheel

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Another vote for Parkingcameras/reversing cameras.com (sister companies). Their products are excellent, vision on mine is superior to the previous Waeco one.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I picked up the motorhome yesterday and trust me i made a right fuss at Brownhills. I have been told in no uncertain terms that it is not possible on a 2016 display to have the camera on full time, and as i say, the camera is pointing to the ground.
Hi, sorry to hear you have a problem. We have just got our Tribute two months ago and camera can be on all the time but as I am writing this just remembered it was a deal from the dealer not factory fitted. The guy who fitted it said the problem with a lot of them is people have on all the time and burn them out. Personally I prefer to use mirrors to reverse and swmbo with big gob:LOL: ( at least she int about )
Ray

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We got our Rapido from brownhills and can't be happier with the service we have had over the last three years, speak as you find.(y)
We got our Comanche in Jan and to date the dealer (Browhills) has been top draw......

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Screen burn isn't an issue when systems are wired to be permanently on.

We have always installed them that way for years

Personally I have a Pioneer head unit with navigation and DAB and a Weaco twin lens camera to allow me to select either the back of the motorhome for manoeuvring or "down the road" view for normal driving.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Whilst I'm griping I also discovered that there is no external power point to plug in a water pump to pump fresh water into the tank? I know i can use a hose but what happens when im all set up on a pitch and I want to put water in the tank and im miles away from the tap? Again if anyone has encountered this problem i would be interested to hear your views.
Perhaps showing my ignorance here, I was unaware that motorhomes came with external power points. I've always assumed that such set ups were exclusive to caravans or retrofitted by owners.

Isn't the perceived wisdom to fill up before pitching then refill when emptying the grey waste, watering can for emergencies ?

If you were going to use aquaroll & pump, logically you'd use a waste hog too (or empty onto pitch :whistle:) seems an odd way of doing things to me, unless staying put for weeks at a time (as well as taking up precious storage space)

Deleted User
Our AT vline has same camera/satnav/media all in one screen, and can't be used as a full-time camera :(
If we don't sell our van, we are going to have an additional camera fitting that I can flick on as needed as I like to know who's behind me when driving. Will get one to mount where rear view mirror would go as I still look there for a mirror anyway doh!
Think that's a better option for me anyway as it's the more natural position.

Once on site Nige fills our tanks up with a hand held water carrier, keeps him busy and fit :D emptying waste same ( different containers) uses those collapsible ones.

Lin :)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Should have gone to Camper UK,Lincoln, their after sales service is great, have bought from them twice, and have had no problems getting jobs done, even when called in on spec.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
To elaborate on my post earlier, before i went to the dealer to have it reprogrammed i did source a local mobile motorhome fitter who thought he could reprogram it himself. He spent 3 hours on the van and eventually gave saying that he couldnt do it due to the system being intergrated into the cambus (i think thats the name) which was new for these models as the previous models could be programmed in minutes. At that point i rang the dealers who said they could hence why i took it to them to do. Unfortunately they couldn't either so 2nd camera it was.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Look at the spacing of the two bike channels !

Edit: Ah, I see you have.

If any consolation, I'd rather fiddle with your bike rack than lie underneath at full stretch to get at the spare.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
I cannot understand why the OP didn't do his homework first on his purchase.... Jeez the first thing I would do is check the toys and then look at the options list when buying new... We did it on our 2016 Auto Trail and we've just done it again on our new VW Polo GTI... There is a options list, we ticked what what we wanted and it arrives with what we asked.. If it didn't arrive without our requirements, i'd not accept it... If the camera doesn't come as standard or not on the options list and it's soooooooo important, I'd ask is the van for me !!! The Tap issue too !

Maybe it's just me.... But If your spending your hard earned on something so important, i'm just surprised it wasn't checked first, before ranting and making a fuss on a Forum.....

Cheyenne man

Free Member
Apr 17, 2016
Immingham, n,e lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 635
Exp
I have just bought a brand new Autotrail Tracker FB with reversing camera. Never gave it a second thought that i wouldn't be able to use it as a rear view camera whilst on the move like I could with my Swift Kontiki, but alas no! It only works as a reversing camera with no other option. So now having spent over 50 grand on a motorhome I now have to somehow rig up another camera. Anyone got any suggestions or advice? I would really like a rear view mirror mounted monitor?

Whilst I'm griping I also discovered that there is no external power point to plug in a water pump to pump fresh water into the tank? I know i can use a hose but what happens when im all set up on a pitch and I want to put water in the tank and im miles away from the tap? Again if anyone has encountered this problem i would be interested to hear your views.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I cannot understand why the OP didn't do his homework first on his purchase.... Jeez the first thing I would do is check the toys and then look at the options list when buying new... We did it on our 2016 Auto Trail and we've just done it again on our new VW Polo GTI... There is a options list, we ticked what what we wanted and it arrives with what we asked.. If it didn't arrive without our requirements, i'd not accept it... If the camera doesn't come as standard or not on the options list and it's soooooooo important, I'd ask is the van for me !!! The Tap issue too !

Maybe it's just me.... But If your spending your hard earned on something so important, i'm just surprised it wasn't checked first, before ranting and making a fuss on a Forum.....

Thanks that's very helpful. Not sure I was asking for therapy, just advice regarding the camera. I'm very sure you would have donned your sandals and a spread sheet and gone round it for a fortnight? Silly me for thinking that the camera would be on all the time on a £56k motorhome. Still, it's not the end of the world is it? It's not like having testicular cancer or losing all your life savings? The bike issue is sorted as I will never have a puncture, I have discovered that in fact my mobile home has wheels and I can drive to a tap, (hurrah for that because I didn't check it would have wheels with tyres on delivery), and I will be driving around in reverse from now on so that I can see where I'm going at all times. And I will be voting out of Europe if anyone is even remotely interested! Cheers, Mike.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've never understood why people seem to think that a permanently on rear view camera is essential to driving a motorhome and that it's impossible to do so without one.

Does anyone remember the person last year who cancelled their holiday and went home because their camera packed up when Eddie was on holiday? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't any of your vans have wing mirrors?

The pump supply question. We use a pump quite happily and don't have an external supply next to the inlet. Our solution is highly technical and a wonder of modern engineering.

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I've never understood why people seem to think that a permanently on rear view camera is essential to driving a motorhome and that it's impossible to do so without one.

Does anyone remember the person last year who cancelled their holiday and went home because their camera packed up when Eddie was on holiday? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't any of your vans have wing mirrors?

The pump supply question. We use a pump quite happily and don't have an external supply next to the inlet. Our solution is highly technical and a wonder of modern engineering.

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

I'll take your advice on this occasion and I will be ripping the rear view mirrors out of our family vehicles. There's absoloutely no need for them at all!

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our camera has the same view for reversing and/or rear view
You can not only see the rear bumper but also the view behind
Whilst I agree that it's not essential, it's makes overtaking on motorways in bad weather much easier as you can see the exact point at which you have passed the vehicle you are overtaking.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From a man who knows.......

Dont worry about any of that rubbish... Cameras, bike rack etc
When they have taken your £50,000 plus and 12 months later you find your damp meter reading over 40% you can have a bigger moan about Autotrail.. :)
Fingers crossed for you and the van.. (y)

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Our camera has the same view for reversing and/or rear view
You can not only see the rear bumper but also the view behind
Whilst I agree that it's not essential, it's makes overtaking on motorways in bad weather much easier as you can see the exact point at which you have passed the vehicle you are overtaking.
Tut tut Robert don't you have wing mirrors? You'll be put down for a retest soon mate and probably called an incompetant barsteward. Nice.

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Tut tut Robert don't you have wing mirrors? You'll be put down for a retest soon mate and probably called a incompetant barsteward. Nice.
I've been called a lot of things on this forum
Left wing, right wing, mardy etc
But NEVER incompetent !

I only get called that at home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread