Not illegal immigrants, but Diddicoys at CiteEurope (1 Viewer)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Parked up at CE with quite a few other motorhomes of various nationalities. Low & behold two Volvo estate cars with English plates one towing a big caravan turned up earlier this afty:eek:. Their unruly kids have been screaming & shouting for an hour or so. Where are the Gendarmes when you need them. :mad:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Parked up at CE with quite a few other motorhomes of various nationalities. Low & behold two Volvo estate cars with English plates one towing a big caravan turned up earlier this afty:eek:. Their unruly kids have been screaming & shouting for an hour or so. Where are the Gendarmes when you need them. :mad:
Typical taggers!
Bet the parents are just as bad

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
at least while they are screaming and shouting you know more or less where they are :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Casting my mind back about 6yrs ago (when we were tuggers) we were parked up in the Calais 'No tickets' car park when two volvo's, and not the biggest either, came through the gate tugging the biggest, baddest german caravans, double axles, 2.5mtres wide and about 9mtrs overall length.
Out spewed (not a bad description) the biggest set of neanderthals I've ever seen. They were controlled? if that is the right word by a bloke who was like the side of house who spoke a kind of english spoken by a country not too far away.

We didn't sleep much that night, and the local CRS riot police station was 10yds away on the other side of the wire.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Didicoy (Romani: didikai; also diddicoy, diddykai) is a term of the Romani or "Gypsies" for "Gypsies" and travellers with mixed Romani and non Romani blood.

Generally someone loosely descended from a Romany gypsy, but more likely to steal your fortune than offer to tell you it

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well Ken you do pick some places if its not Muslims its Itinerants :D

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Would like to know once the diddicoys have either gone or been moved on? Supposed to be stopping there on our first night a week Thursday after a late train crossing and won't be great introduction to France in the MH for my already apprehensive wife(n)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We're booked an evening crossing for a few days time, was considering CE, but will stick with the 25 minute drive to Gravelines as usual.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Would like to know once the diddicoys have either gone or been moved on? Supposed to be stopping there on our first night a week Thursday after a late train crossing and won't be great introduction to France in the MH for my already apprehensive wife(n)

I would not chose to stay there myself, first night in or last night out, it is simply a supermarket car park, but each to their own

But we wouldn't use the supermarket / shops / or café options, prefer local bakeries, bars etc.

We like Montruil-sur-mer, half hour drive from Calais but much nicer location, luckily we all like different things so hopefully there will always be space at MsM for us, don't rate Gravelines either, so we really must be different to most :)(y)

If we have more time we get down nearer to Rouen, Pont de l'Arche or La Mailleraye sur Seine

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our current plan, for our first time 'over there' involves arriving in Calais in the wee small hours, so CE seemed ideal for our first night. Bit of shopping in the morning, then off to nicer locations. I'm still not dissuaded from this plan!

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We lefty at 6am this morning and are now back at home. Didn't meant to raise concerns for anybody, my point was that the parking area is solely for motorhomes and definitely NOT FOR GYPSY SHED DRAGGERS. The French authorities take a dim view of caravans on Aires.
To allay anyones concerns or fears, I dare say they will have left by now, but more to the point we have stayed at Cite Europe a dozen times or more and never had a minutes trouble.

The whole point of my original post was that these itinerants seem to be turning up at everywhere Motorhome Shows, Aires etc.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I would not chose to stay there myself, first night in or last night out, it is simply a supermarket car park, but each to their own

But we wouldn't use the supermarket / shops / or café options, prefer local bakeries, bars etc.

We like Montruil-sur-mer, half hour drive from Calais but much nicer location, luckily we all like different things so hopefully there will always be space at MsM for us, don't rate Gravelines either, so we really must be different to most :)(y)

If we have more time we get down nearer to Rouen, Pont de l'Arche or La Mailleraye sur Seine

We will be arriving around midnight so the plan was to arrive at CE so not to have to worry about there being no space for us, would prefer going elsewhere but would be concerned about having to drive around finding an Aire with a space for us at that time of night.

Deleted User
Sunday is the day they all tend to move in France you can see whole lines of them along the motorways very often with a sulky trap tied on the back of the white transit so you know where they come from.

Spongy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

not sure the whole area is for MH's only, certainly it is where MH's are meant to park, but none of the spaces are big enough for MH's so other users I suspect are expected / allowed

as said by others, very convenient, well lit, close to lots of amenities and police, but not for me :)(y)

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We will be arriving around midnight so the plan was to arrive at CE so not to have to worry about there being no space for us, would prefer going elsewhere but would be concerned about having to drive around finding an Aire with a space for us at that time of night.

You will be fine at Cite Europe - just one night going or coming back its ideal IMO.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well why cant cornwall be its own country . as you know we already have our own stannary parliament recognized by the big one .
mebyon kernow .
nip den cows kernewek.

Reactions: Nik

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Ohhh I get it now..... They Diddicoys whatever they are are stopping on an aire ??? So just go to a proper campsite ? I take it these Diddycoys are freeloading?? Not that freeloading is terrible ( it is really) so the objection is the Diddys are freeloading ?
Diddy. Didn't he Diddy they ???

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

As I usually say when I spot 'em..... "wife - fetch me my blunderbuss!".

What's a blunderbus ??

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
View attachment 164237

View attachment 164238

not sure the whole area is for MH's only, certainly it is where MH's are meant to park, but none of the spaces are big enough for MH's so other users I suspect are expected / allowed

as said by others, very convenient, well lit, close to lots of amenities and police, but not for me :)(y)

I wouldn't stop there either .... never in a month of Sundays. I didn't save up and spend a ton of coin on our MH to park in a blooming car park full of Didicoys.... whatever they are ... :D2

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Leanne's looking for quotes from builders to beef up Offa's Dyke - or at least I assume that's what she meant when she said Plaid Cymru were the only party who would protect Wales.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back