Not happy with Wightlink (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We took advantage of the offer with CAMHC for a break on the Isle of Wight. Booked Portsmouth to Fishbourne this Friday. Portsmouth is just up the road from us so it's very convenient. Last night (21.40) I received a text message from Wightlink saying that our booking had been moved to Lymington -Yarmouth at 17:00. Something to do with operational problems.
I have spoken with the Travel Services of CAMHC and all options explored and we are stuck with the changed schedule. Even tried rebooking with Red Funnel but no availability. Now we will have to travel through the endless roadworks on the M27 and not arrive at the campsite until evening.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
They have a problem with their Victoria of Wight vessel, we are booked on for the 12th but been informed it’ll be changed as ferry won’t be operational then…it is what it is as long as I can still travel on the 12th.

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
At least you have an alternative crossing, can’t really see what else they could do 🤔

mildly frustrating at worst
I agree with you but their website is still showing our original sailing as scheduled and the CAMHC travel service were not aware of the disruption. And I was notified by text message with no explanation.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with you but their website is still showing our original sailing as scheduled and the CAMHC travel service were not aware of the disruption. And I was notified by text message with no explanation.

now that would annoy me as well 🤔

overbooking should be compensated if that’s what has happened, I read it as due to mechanical issues 👍

at least it is still fairly close , we once got diverted from Cherbourg to Le Harvre and didn’t find out till we got to Cherbourg 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Must be worse for people who travel daily for work on that line having to go further especially if they are only foot passengers
Maybe that can work from home on that day

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
It is due to mechanical problems with one ferry, ironically we were not traveling on that particular ferry but I guess they've had to move things around.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
The Island's traffic at the moment is the heaviest I have ever seen it. Loads of roadworks are not helping.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
If it's any consolation, your crossing
will only take half an hour, you'll drive through the lovely New Forest to Lymington, when you arrive at Yarmouth, a charming little town, you can take the scenic route to the Military Road which has stunning sea views and plenty of stopping places. All in all, a much nicer crossing in my humble opinion 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂 Enjoy our lovely island and message me if you need anything🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If it's any consolation, your crossing
will only take half an hour, you'll drive through the lovely New Forest to Lymington, when you arrive at Yarmouth, a charming little town, you can take the scenic route to the Military Road which has stunning sea views and plenty of stopping places. All in all, a much nicer crossing in my humble opinion 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂 Enjoy our lovely island and message me if you need anything🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
The crossing may take only half an hour, but if I was the OP I'd be a bit miffed at the probably extra hour drive from the wrong side of Sussex to get round Southampton and through the slower windy roads of the New Forest (even if they can be a nice view).

Seems a bit odd that there wasn't an earlier or later ferry that they could have moved you to from Portsmouth, is it really at that capacity when for so long the Ferries were publicly bleating they weren't being used during Covid so they'd reduced crossings. I hope they don't do a similar thing for the return.

Oh and if you do have to go to Lymington, perhaps best to avoid Lyndhurst snarl ups and use J2 M27 towards Ashurst and then down to Beaulieu and across to Lymington which even brings you to the right side of Lymington for the ferry terminal.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I believe the ferry is out of service now, when we tried to book other members of the family on the same crossing about a month or so ago there were no spaces so it really is pretty busy. Whilst I’m not the OP I am in the same situation and although not ideal it is what it is, for me personally im not miffed at all, there are a lot worse things to worry about than a ferry going out of service.

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
The crossing may take only half an hour, but if I was the OP I'd be a bit miffed at the probably extra hour drive from the wrong side of Sussex to get round Southampton and through the slower windy roads of the New Forest (even if they can be a nice view).

Seems a bit odd that there wasn't an earlier or later ferry that they could have moved you to from Portsmouth, is it really at that capacity when for so long the Ferries were publicly bleating they weren't being used during Covid so they'd reduced crossings. I hope they don't do a similar thing for the return.

Oh and if you do have to go to Lymington, perhaps best to avoid Lyndhurst snarl ups and use J2 M27 towards Ashurst and then down to Beaulieu and across to Lymington which even brings you to the right side of Lymington for the ferry terminal.
You've summed it up nicely. For anyone who doesn't know the M27 is a nightmare at the moment due to the conversion to a smart motorway.
Yes, I was going to avoid Lyndhurst.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We took advantage of the offer with CAMHC for a break on the Isle of Wight. Booked Portsmouth to Fishbourne this Friday. Portsmouth is just up the road from us so it's very convenient. Last night (21.40) I received a text message from Wightlink saying that our booking had been moved to Lymington -Yarmouth at 17:00. Something to do with operational problems.
I have spoken with the Travel Services of CAMHC and all options explored and we are stuck with the changed schedule. Even tried rebooking with Red Funnel but no availability. Now we will have to travel through the endless roadworks on the M27 and not arrive at the campsite until evening.
I use the M27 frequently and there are always 3 lanes open for the entire length only hold ups are Eastbound airport junctions and that is slow trafficy

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Been through the road works dozens of times lately, steady 45-50mph all the way.
Only thing is it’s boring and if in the van I have to concentrate a bit more as narrow lanes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You and many more I would imagine..Would take for ever to phone everyone ..BUSBY.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
The ferry is broke, been on local traffic reports all day. M27 is flowing as normal just a pain in the arris during rush hour.

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
You and many more I would imagine..Would take for ever to phone everyone ..BUSBY.
Easy to say but the text message just said my sailing had been moved with no explanation as to why.
Why not an email with an explanation. And third party agents not aware.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Easy to say but the text message just said my sailing had been moved with no explanation as to why.
Why not an email with an explanation. And third party agents not aware.
not everyone picks up emails if they are travelling I don't (I struggle to pick them up at all) :rolleyes:

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
The Island's traffic at the moment is the heaviest I have ever seen it. Loads of roadworks are not helping.
There right now never seen so many road works in a small place and the diversions well thats another story .

OP
OP
Bognor Saint
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Just an update from my original post.
Wightlink seemed to be encouraging people to claim for compensation because of their operational issues. I filled out the necessary online form. I received the standard automatic reply and expected no more. A few days later I received a lengthy email which basically said " sorry mate not our problem you didn't book directly with us". I booked with the CAMHC as they had an offer. I decided not to pursue anymore .
A couple of weeks later I had reason to speak with the CAMHC on another matter. The conversation ended with me being asked if there was anything else that I could be helped with so I mentioned the problem with Wightlink. I was told to send them the details and they would deal with it on my behalf.
Yesterday I received a call and an email and had been given an £82 refund. The original cost of the return crossing was £128 so I think this was a very generous outcome.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just an update from my original post.
Wightlink seemed to be encouraging people to claim for compensation because of their operational issues. I filled out the necessary online form. I received the standard automatic reply and expected no more. A few days later I received a lengthy email which basically said " sorry mate not our problem you didn't book directly with us". I booked with the CAMHC as they had an offer. I decided not to pursue anymore .
A couple of weeks later I had reason to speak with the CAMHC on another matter. The conversation ended with me being asked if there was anything else that I could be helped with so I mentioned the problem with Wightlink. I was told to send them the details and they would deal with it on my behalf.
Yesterday I received a call and an email and had been given an £82 refund. The original cost of the return crossing was £128 so I think this was a very generous outcome.
This happens with the rail service as well, if you book a ticket from say a ticket from a london superb to Birmingham as an example and the local link fails to get you to euston on time you can get compensation. If you book Directly with say Avanti (formally virgin) for a cheap ticket and a separate ticket from you local station to Euston then Avanti/Virgin will say not our problem and so will your local rail provider although they may compensate just your local to London ticket......

So Wightlink were perfectly correct your contract was with a third party

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back