LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
MH insurance due for renewal 2nd July so a couple of weeks ago start the process of getting quotes. Receive a letter from existing broker asking me to confirm no changes to current details and then they will forward details of premium. I duly respond and receive an 'e' mail on letter heading quoting £345 - no documents submitted. I decided to go with the C& MC as their quote was cheaper. I now need to provide proof of NCD so I contacted Advance to request proof. Conversation goes something like this.

Good morning how can I help
I need a copy of the paperwork re NCD to provide to my new insurers, can you forward please.
May I ask why you are not renewing with us
Because I have had a cheaper quote
May I ask what you have been quoted
My new insurer is £320
But that's more than we have quoted
No it isn't, your 'e' mail letter which I have on screen in front of me is £345
Well that can't be right as the renewal I have in front of me is for £239

At this point I got a little annoyed, especially when he told me that I must have done an online quote request as the figure was clearly for new business!!!

The upshot of all this is that I have now received the confirmation of my NCD which I have forwarded as required. And I am attempting to do all this on my I Pad whilst on holiday in Scotland as I won't be home before the renewal date.

The irony of this tail of woe is that I am still with the same underwriters - ERS - and paying more than I should but less than I was quoted!!! Bloody insurance companies; they do my head in!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
MH insurance due for renewal 2nd July so a couple of weeks ago start the process of getting quotes. Receive a letter from existing broker asking me to confirm no changes to current details and then they will forward details of premium. I duly respond and receive an 'e' mail on letter heading quoting £345 - no documents submitted. I decided to go with the C& MC as their quote was cheaper. I now need to provide proof of NCD so I contacted Advance to request proof. Conversation goes something like this.

Good morning how can I help
I need a copy of the paperwork re NCD to provide to my new insurers, can you forward please.
May I ask why you are not renewing with us
Because I have had a cheaper quote
May I ask what you have been quoted
My new insurer is £320
But that's more than we have quoted
No it isn't, your 'e' mail letter which I have on screen in front of me is £345
Well that can't be right as the renewal I have in front of me is for £239

At this point I got a little annoyed, especially when he told me that I must have done an online quote request as the figure was clearly for new business!!!

The upshot of all this is that I have now received the confirmation of my NCD which I have forwarded as required. And I am attempting to do all this on my I Pad whilst on holiday in Scotland as I won't be home before the renewal date.

The irony of this tail of woe is that I am still with the same underwriters - ERS - and paying more than I should but less than I was quoted!!! Bloody insurance companies; they do my head in!
So why not just cancel the new one and stay where you are

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@chaser, realise that was an option but would incur a cancellation fee - admittedly would still be cheaper. However call me stupid, but there is a principle at stake - how good is said Broker if they can't even get the quotes right. I may be paying more but am happy that I have jumped ship!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@chaser, realise that was an option but would incur a cancellation fee - admittedly would still be cheaper. However call me stupid, but there is a principle at stake - how good is said Broker if they can't even get the quotes right. I may be paying more but am happy that I have jumped ship!
If it isn't due till 2 July the new one can't have started yet so how can there be a cancellation fee(n) except for your other points £80 is £80 , it's a tunnel fare(y):)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Does sound very odd, did you ever forward them the email quoting the £345 price to see what they said?

They could of course have made up any price they liked once you said you were leaving them, I presume you have never seen the £239 written down

Call me cynical, but....

I am also a man of principle and probably wouldn't change back either (y)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't get this! It is cheaper to go back to the broker and give them a rollocking and get the cheaper insurance - the broker is only an intermediary nothing more and in this instance should 'give' you some of their commission as compensation for their b@lls-up making it even cheaper. The broker needs to be 'told' and IMV 'suffer' for their incompetence (the cynic in me suggests that they were going to pocket the extra money themselves!).

There shouldn't be a cancellation fee at all as the policy start date hasn't passed.

Principles are fine but paying extra just for the sake of it is daft IMV ... no one looses out in the end but you ... "cutting off your nose to spite your face" come to mind.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm fed up with insurance today.

It's Joseph's 17th birthday so I've just been sorting out getting him added to a bike policy and a car policy.

Needless to say I'm now traumatised and need a drink :cry:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
@Cal54 - Carol, my Safeguard insurance includes AA breakdown in Europe, (which in France is fantastic - I've had to use it!!). This year I paid £328.59 which I thought was good value for both, and that includes another (non-vehicle owning) driver.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just been doing similar with my car :mad:.
I noticed a mistake concerning the amount of NCD on the renewal letter - so I emailed asking for a correction.
Them - "Can't do that via email - data protection"
Me - "So post me a revised renewal letter"
Phone rings, let answerphone take it - it's them, "Call us urgently, we have a much cheaper deal"
I email back to say, telephoning isn't convenient, plus to avoid mistakes & misunderstandings, I prefer dealings to be in writing.
They email - "we've been trying to call you because we have a much better price but not from our panel of insurers, so we need to speak to you personally"
:rolleyes: Err yeah, right, that doesn't sound dodgy in the slightest :whistle:
I email back along the lines of "until this renewal notice error is corrected, in writing, I won't be progressing nor pursuing further cover via your Brokerage."

Surprisingly, they've not responded :D2.
Looks like I'll be going back to the Meerkat

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When ours was due for renewal a couple of months ago the broker would not supply the no claims history that we had built up.
They eventually did after a lot of discussion but we nearly had the new policy cancelled by C &MC as they said their quote was for the claim free years discount and their insurance company would not cover until it was received.
Had a stressful few days trying to get it sorted.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Luckily I have now received the formal renewal which clearly states the NCD. I have now forwarded that to the C&MC insurance company so hope that is the end of it for the next 12 months!

@Viennese - Catherine I think Safeguard were one of the companies that won't cover me because they consider my van is parked on the street!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't! Don't! Don't! I have to start this bl**dy rigmarole next week. :cry::cry:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I email back to say, telephoning isn't convenient, plus to avoid mistakes & misunderstandings, I prefer dealings to be in writing.

I'm the same. I won't deal with any insurance company over the phone.

I like the way you've spelt "lies" with an m there (y)

As far as I'm concerned if they won't deal in writing it's a sign they are untrustworthy

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My understanding is that you have a 14 day cooling off period with insurance from the time you give them the Ok.
Cancel before the 14th day and your entitled to a full refund.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The really strange thing is.................................You dont NEED to take out a yearly vehicle insurance, be it you have one or one thousand vehicles! (y)(y)(y)(y)

All you require is the means to lodge a bond with the DVLA for one million pounds. :) And judging by the recent accusations on *FUN*, most of us are worth at least that amount..........:)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm fed up with insurance today.

It's Joseph's 17th birthday so I've just been sorting out getting him added to a bike policy and a car policy.

Needless to say I'm now traumatised and need a drink :cry:
I had a classic car restoration business until I retired and about 5 or 6 year ago one of my customers bought his son a 1972 MGB roadster as his first car.
The lads mates with their Fiat Punto's took the P*ss out of him at first but when they realised that his classic car insurance was less than £400 a year and it was cool to have a softop for the summer they soon changed their minds.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
My understanding is that you have a 14 day cooling off period with insurance from the time you give them the Ok.
Cancel before the 14th day and your entitled to a full refund.
This is true, but they are entitled to make an admin charge - the details of which will be found in the policy under " cancellation - your rights" or similar.

This is to discourage the unscrupulous getting cover to hire or borrow a vehicle, or prove insurance to the police to enable an impounded vehicle to be released - and then cancelling the cover under the 14 days rule. Plus there are definitely expenses incurred in the processing of the transaction.

It probably still goes on but the £25 ish charge might help reduce it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Luckily I have now received the formal renewal which clearly states the NCD. I have now forwarded that to the C&MC insurance company so hope that is the end of it for the next 12 months!

@Viennese - Catherine I think Safeguard were one of the companies that won't cover me because they consider my van is parked on the street!
So is mine part of the time Carol, perhaps your street isn't as safe as mine, although they do know I had a van stolen from this street 8 years ago!

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Ours is a cul-de-sac, but because I can't actually see it from my property there seems to be an Issue.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ha Ha :D2

A postman delivered this morning not one but two separately posted letters headed, in a large & bold font, "Urgent, Please Contact Us"...

It doesn't engender confidence about their claims handling potential when they seem not to have noticed, or paid attention to my emails & letters :cool:.

But unfortunately they are advertisers & post on MHF, so I won't be "naming" :whistle:

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Hi - new to posting , but having spent most of the last week (it feels like) on the internet and phone trying to sort out new insurance for a MH and also the car (not one to tow, just an boring middle-aged get-about) .... and overlap with a MH being sold (so need 3 insurances for 2 vehicles and swopping 'no claims' around - some folk just don't understand that life is not always straightforward!)
..... then landed on a really helpful couple of people at 'Comfort' insurance re the MH, and 'RIAS' (based in Bournemouth) re the car - helpful, cheerful, patient, intelligent - all on the phone. The clouds lifted and the sun came out :) All sorted. Very good quotes too.

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
oops, me again - just read 'pyro' 's post on another thread about Comfort - the leaving your MH unoccupied bit ... we got a breakdown in Spain last winter - late afternoon just before a holiday weekend! - fairly straightforward except the part was not available in the locality . Van up in the air in a garage, immobile as critical 'belt' broken and removed. We had to leave van until Tuesday morning and stay in a hotel ....(Burgos is very nice, we know every corner!!!) . will check that one out especially as we have a clutch of very elderly and frail close relatives......it's called 'sod's law' I think - and I am careful about insurance as you only really know how good it is when you need to test it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back