Not giving up on skiing this winter...yet! (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

Hunt for British tourists in Swiss ski resorts​

29c3a8c8-5404-42d7-88fa-554dae369da7.jpg

Imogen Foulkes
BBC News, Geneva
There’s something of an awkward hunt going on in Switzerland: for British tourists.
Thousands have been arriving to spend Christmas here, taking advantage of the controversial Swiss decision to keep slopes open.
The upmarket resort of Verbier is especially popular with Brits. But now the new Covid 19 strain – and evidence it could be much more infectious - has changed things dramatically.
Swiss health authorities have told UK citizens arriving after 14 December to "render" themselves into quarantine or risk a 10,000 franc (9224 euros, £8374) fine.
Airlines must hand over passenger lists and hotels should, it seems, confine guests to their rooms. But in Verbier things seem relaxed, its well-heeled visitors don’t seem concerned about the fine.
Some interviewed by Swiss newspapers are circumspect about when they actually arrived, others are defiant. "We brought tourism here," one young man, snowboard under arm, said. "Verbier is lucky."

Says it all really.

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Ignoring the fact that Verbier is the last place I'd ever head for (yes, too many ghastly Brits!) I think the Swiss have been playing the field recently and now realise that they are getting their collective fingers burnt.
Much as I like the country, they can't have it both ways and yes, without us they would still be a small collection of bickering Cantons with little infrastructure and no tourism. CB.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Its went very quiet on the ski thread. Has everyone given up hope :rolleyes:

There's always summer skiing :LOL:
I was thinking of getting my cross country skis out today around the streets near me. Probably the only chance of skiing now. To be honest the lockdown till the end of January has taken the wind out of my sails or should I say the snow beneath my skis!

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Ok, so now France is looking like Feb before any possibility of skiing...I've not been following the rules for Switzerland as I had no intention of going there...but....now I'm considering there... Anyone know the current rules there and what are the big piste areas there? Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Ok, so now France is looking like Feb before any possibility of skiing...I've not been following the rules for Switzerland as I had no intention of going there...but....now I'm considering there... Anyone know the current rules there and what are the big piste areas there? Thanks
I've been looking at Grindelwald for the last few weeks. Flight and train. Currently, we cannot go there without 10 day quarantine but Switzerland is the most likely place to open up to foreign tourists before everyone else. This is my hope for late march or April when snow will still be good. Too expensive to take motorhome there when I can get 7 nights half board in a 4 star hotel for cheaper. As soon as I get my Jab I'm offski.😄

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
At the moment I’m still booked in to 4 Austrian sites in March (rebooked from last season), but have to say I’m increasingly depressingly doubtful. But will go if legally possible if I can manage 2 of the 5 weeks.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
What's i like about motor homing is that i can see where the snow is and head on down, Normally go away as family group 11 of us hire Chalet and self cater, hire a minibus to drive down together and have had some great times. Already the grandchildren have been in touch and upset that we are all not going away together this season........... SO FAR
1610133847696.png

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Finally I have skied this season! On Monday night there was just enough cover for me to get out the cross country skis and I skied round the village. Fun, although I got a few strange looks. This morning I managed to skin up a hill in the campsies, North of Glasgow with full blue skies and had great powder on the descent. No style mind you. Quads were killing me 🎿

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If you have not seen it a great skiing film to watch is Force Majuere

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp

here are the probable options, for skiing from June to September.2021​

Austria: The Hintertux glacier (above and top) is usually open year-round. Half a dozen other Austrian glaciers normally operate at various times in spring and summer. They include the Kitzsteinhorn (currently aiming to open to 6th June but re-opened in July last year) above Kaprun, the Stubai (currently aiming to open to 27th June) near Innsbruck as well as the Kaunertal (currently closed but season due to last to 6th June) and Molltal (currently closed but normally open 11 months from early June) glaciers.

Canada: A long shot with Transatlantic leisure travel unlikely to resume fast and the last of Canada’s regular ski area season closures happening around 16th May anyway. But there’s an outside chance Whistler Blackcomb will reopen for its five-week summer glacier skiing in June-July. It didn’t happen last year even though the first Canadian lockdown was over then so that’s uncertain at present.

Les-2-Alpes-7-October-800x533.jpg

France: Normally Val d’Isere opens some runs in June, with Les 2 Alpes and Tignes offering skiing from late June into August.

Italy: The main remaining Italian summer ski area is Passo Stelvio, usually open for six months to late October. Cervinia also opens from June to September providing access to the same summer glacier area as Zermatt over the Swiss border.

Norway: There are three small summer ski glacier resorts in Norway, two of which (Folgefonn or “Fonna” -above – and Galdhoppigen) stay open through to the autumn.

Scotland: Scotland’s ski areas have been closed through their snowiest winter for a decade and now things are warming up. Nicola Sturgeon also appears to have ruled out domestic tourism into April. If we’re (very) lucky though we might get another cold snap and some slopes may be able to open into May. It is a long shot not unheard of. Glencoe usually organise a midsummer ski in June on any remaining snow patch.
Sweden: Riksgrasnsen has a ski season from March to late May and was the only ski area that stayed open through the 2020 lockdown last year. Unfortunately, it will close just as international travel from the UK may be allowed to resume. It does usually re-open for a midsummer ski weekend, with lifts opening under the midnight sun, at midsummer in late June though.

Switzerland: Zermatt, with Europe’s highest ski lifts, aims to open every day of the year and has been open non-stop since the end of the last lockdown nine-months ago. Saas-Fee has a nine-month season running from mid-July to late-April.

USA: Like Canada, a long-shot for travel and summer-ski opening is a bit hit and miss with areas like Squaw Valley and mammoth sometimes open to July or August in a good snow year. Only the Timberline snowfield in Oregon is usually open through to August though.

Indoors: For many of us, realistically, our next best chance to get on snow will probably be indoors at one of the UK’s six indoor ski slopes. The date for indoor leisure opening is 12th April.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Great info. I've never skied in summer. What's it like? Slushy? Busy?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Cold even on sunny days, mostly over 2800m, some in the Alps even do lessons.its on snow but lasts longer but also on ice.All across the Alps, high-mountain glaciers offer guaranteed snow and skiing all year round. Though it may sound treacherous, glacier skiing isn’t just skiing on ice. The ice of the glacier just prevents the snow from melting fast, ensuring non-stop good powder. But skiing on glaciers during the summer and the winter is different to skiing on regular slopes, so with a little preparation you can decide whether it’s right for you ⛷️

Just remember your runs maybe limited

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Going up to >2500m in summer is better on the way up than down usually, SkiAlpy is quite common here and a few of my friends are very competent at this. It's something very different than using a ski lift and falling down a mountain on skis, it's much more involved as it's pretty much 100% off piste and more often than not on virgin snice. Worth looking into if you enjoy being at altitude and like a work out, just make sure you have decent insurance.....

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
The possibility of ski mountaineering in summer on glaciated terrain didn't dawn on me. If allowed into Europe this summer I might head to austria and throw the skis in the van

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
The possibility of ski mountaineering in summer on glaciated terrain didn't dawn on me. If allowed into Europe this summer I might head to austria and throw the skis in the van
Ahhh i see your the man to try those fold away skis .
1614461475767.png

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Our few attempts to ski on summer glaciers have been dire. They never seem to open early enough in the day and the result is one run on average snow at best, before it becomes a slushfest.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think were resigned to this season being lost as far as skiing goes but on the bright side we just managed to get 2 trips in last year and have just booked a week next January (more to follow)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I gave up on this season last November, apart from the feint hope of enough snow in the Brecon Beacons to have a few runs - didn't happen....

Never mind, I'll just have to go for 8 weeks next season 🙂

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Not long now I will be organising my winter ski trip(s) shortly. Hopefully those lovely alpine countries will be happy to welcome us and we're not forced to spend a winter staycation in the UK.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Fingers crossed for a great season ahead🤞. I might even get to try out my brand new skis. Brand new but they will be almost two years old by the time snow arrives 🥺.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Fingers crossed for a great season ahead🤞. I might even get to try out my brand new skis. Brand new but they will be almost two years old by the time snow arrives 🥺.
Me too new ski boots soon to be 2 years old never worn on an alpine slope😑

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I have heard that this Winter it will be 25 degrees and dry, least it should be to make up for this crap Summer we've had:LOL:

I've already decided to continue my skating lessons so we need some snow.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back