Not convinced £80 s worth (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Following a link on fun just bought these Hymer headlight protectors off EBay for £80. Made from 3mm flat polycarbonate and 8 plastic suckers with threaded retaining pins and nuts.
The polycarbonate is flat and I doubt the suckers will stay in place with the effort needed to hold to the partially convex headlights.
I guess a little tweak with a heat gun to match to the headlight profile is necessary.
£80 seems a bit high, anyone else tried them ?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just draw round them to make a template then send them back as not suitable quality then go to B&Q and buy some thin polycarbonate £5 max. Mail order off internet you have every right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Stick the suckers on with cyanoacrilate. (Superglue)
You can still remover the protectors to clean the lens but less likely to lose the lot if a sucker 'breaks' free.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Theres one born every minute, as they say. :doh:

Not as simple as that John, the photo on EBay only shows a Hymer headlight . I was expecting a set of moulded protectors much as you would get for a car..

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
If you were to draw round them on a sheet of paper to make a template, I’d be happy to give you a fiver to offset your costs. I have some polycarbonate that I bought to make some for ours.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not like them it is a cheap nasty bodge, I am making my own by making a glass fibre female mould off the actual headlights and them using my moulding oven moulding the lexan direct to the mould giving me a set that will have the same shape and dish of the proper headlights. Also if I actually break a headlamp I will remove the remnants of the glass and be able to glue the polycarbonate direct to the backing with a suitable adhesive. cheaper the the Hella price through Hymer dealers. I asked the usual supplier of the headlamp protectors at Lincoln, and he said that the makers in New Zealand , were not going to make them for him as there were not enough of them to make it viable unlike the thousands of Fiat models out there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last Hymer had the Almond Eyes, I made my own protectors from 2mm Polycarbonate, total cost £25, you won't get polycarbonate for a fiver and B&Q don't sell it, they sell perspex not the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It wont help you too much I am sure, but there will be an identical set sat at home waiting for our return, but folk on here wouldn't expect any better from me maybe o_O

I will probably share your disappointment, but having been someone who has paid £1500 for one light unit already, they still make good financial sense

My guess is if they are being sold through the Hymer owners club, they must be reasonably OK to be accepted

Does your kit come with the chrome top caps or white though, the pack isn't easy to see on your photo, but @Tykatem seems to have chrome caps

edited above, one letter makes a big difference, I have ordered the same meant say waiting for OUR return o_O

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do not like them it is a cheap nasty bodge, I am making my own by making a glass fibre female mould off the actual headlights and them using my moulding oven moulding the lexan direct to the mould giving me a set that will have the same shape and dish of the proper headlights. Also if I actually break a headlamp I will remove the remnants of the glass and be able to glue the polycarbonate direct to the backing with a suitable adhesive. cheaper the the Hella price through Hymer dealers. I asked the usual supplier of the headlamp protectors at Lincoln, and he said that the makers in New Zealand , were not going to make them for him as there were not enough of them to make it viable unlike the thousands of Fiat models out there.

that will only work if you don't have headlight washers, ours has, the chrome rounded part at the bottom comes away from the light unit to spray wash (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I bought a set of these a bit crap to be honest but not as bad as the replacement head light I have on order I think a bit of heat then bend to shape, I will gladly make a template if anyone wants one. I to expected some shape to t

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It wont help you too much I am sure, but there will be an identical set sat at home waiting for our return, but folk on here wouldn't expect any better from me maybe o_O

I will probably share your disappointment, but having been someone who has paid £1500 for one light unit already, they still make good financial sense

My guess is if they are being sold through the Hymer owners club, they must be reasonably OK to be accepted

Does your kit come with the chrome top caps or white though, the pack isn't easy to see on your photo, but @Tykatem seems to have chrome caps

edited above, one letter makes a big difference, I have ordered the same meant say waiting for OUR return o_O
Looking at the picture I cannot see ANY covers just the suckers, A flat sheet cover would show up on there but no trace from what I can see just suckers stuck on a headlight. Either that or they ARE a LOT better than I would expect from the raw items in the other picture.

Reto

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660Sl Bestline
Exp
I’m with Tykatem on this. Bought a set via HOG Facebook group (as he says considerably less than £80) and they stay on fine with the suckers. Just make sure you clean headlight glass with cleaning alcohol before fitting. Absolutely no need to heat to bend.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Looking at the picture I cannot see ANY covers just the suckers, A flat sheet cover would show up on there but no trace from what I can see just suckers stuck on a headlight. Either that or they ARE a LOT better than I would expect from the raw items in the other picture.

Look carefully and expand my picture in post #4 and you'll see that the covers in question are in place. Check the cover points at each end!

Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Zoom right in and the edges are clearly (pun intended) visible......and an exceptionally close fit.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well I have questioned the seller on ebay and they say that these work and will stay in place so I for one will give them a go £80 =£8 ebay fees paypal =£4 Post =£5 that leaves £63 so not a fortune for a chance to save a lens.
There may be better options but I for one am doing other things.(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I looked at my headlight working out how to make my shields, on the offside one I notice that the radius where the chrome bit goes looks like it has been chomped out with a pair of pliers and only a bit ground smooth, the horrible sharp notches look really like they are a stress makers ready for it to break into a few thousand pieces. The nearside one has been ground beautifully smooth like the rest of the edges. It is just that one place and I fear for the safety of that glass. I will take close up photos of it tomorrow just in case it breaks, which looks suspiciously likely if something were to hit it a bit sharpish.
Is it worth trying to get another whilst it is in warranty? Or do you think it is Tough luck policy that prevails from Hella and Hymer, bearing in mind they are units and cost £1800 to replace.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Following the above post I have had a really close look today and the glas was nibbled a bit smaller than the edging machine cut so it is smotth alround until it get to the cutaway bit and in the photo you can see the rough bit which I think is a broken glass ready to happen. I have made my master mould for both sides
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
Today and will try a softened piece of PETG as a test before going to the much dearer polycarbonate for the real thing. See what you all think about the rough bit.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Following the above post I have had a really close look today and the glas was nibbled a bit smaller than the edging machine cut so it is smotth alround until it get to the cutaway bit and in the photo you can see the rough bit which I think is a broken glass ready to happen. I have made my master mould for both sidesView attachment 213775 View attachment 213776 Today and will try a softened piece of PETG as a test before going to the much dearer polycarbonate for the real thing. See what you all think about the rough bit.

Any attempt at adjusting the shape of the glass cannot be done in its finished state as it is tempered/toughened and would easily shatter.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes I think it was a gash bit of glass that was used in the HELLA factory cut undersized, BEFORE the Grinding and hardening proces but the edges are really sharp and I think they are causing a stress riser and it WILL crack sometime and I have not desire to pay thousands for a replacement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back