LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone You know it seems like you fix one thing on the MH and straight behind it there’s another one waiting to pounce.

As some of you might know from my recent previous thread; I had trouble finding a fault with the top marker lights on my Autotrail Cheyenne 840D which was quickly resolved with the expert help of Revolvor. Now waiting in the wings is another problem just to spoil my enjoyment while I’m away.

I have a Oyster 85cm skew satellite system fitted; it’s been working great until this week. I had the dish up in the evening and always retract it overnight just in case.

On this occasion I pressed the button to retract it and although it closed down to its resting position after about two seconds it opened up but not fully. I went through the menu to see if there was a reset option; I came across a “return” option which seemed to work as the dish closed to its retracted state.

Yesterday the same thing happened and although I tried the return option it did not do anything.

To cut a long story shorter I took the two fuses out of the Oyster control box; one was 10amp and the other looked like a 3amp; on inserting the 10amp nothing happened but inserting the 3amp the control panel lit up an it said initialising the antenna; which retracted the dish.

Now as I’m away at the moment I’m not going to use it anymore just in case I can’t retract it; but I’m looking for your expert advice in the meantime as I’ll be home tomorrow and I can try to sort it out with all your suggestions many Thanks.

Best Wishes Tony

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I had a similar experience on an older oyster. The brain thinks it is not fully shut.
The answer was to loosen the 2 large " hinge" bolts, allow system to close the dish and retighten them.
Suggest a tel call to oyster first to check actual procedure, it was how I found the cure.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
This procedure is for an Oyster Vision 2. Reset details provided by Anthony:

Turn on the system and once the dish is upright press the tick. (this will stop the system and display Main Menu)

Press the tick to display settings

Scroll left twice to display Mechanical Adjustment

Press tick and the system will partially retract and then display Fix Arm Now.

At this point you will need to go up on the roof where you will see that the dish has almost retracted but not quite. You will need to undo the two 17mm bolts either side of the main arm and allow the dish to fall flat. Tighten up the bolts hand tight and then give each one two big pushes to secure (*see note below)

Once done return to the control unit and press the tick.

The unit will now retract fully and turn off.

Turn on as normal.

* note: ie. Fully tighten the bolts with a spanner.

PS. The procedure for Vision 3 onwards may be slightly different.

My system was showing Y-motor blocked error. Despite carrying out the mechanical adjustment my problem was eventually diagnosed as a faulty microswitch on the main shaft. This was replaced and resolved the problem.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon Tony,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.
From how you describe the system I would assume that it's an Oyster Vision III unit or a Oyster Digital unit. The Vision III is controlled via a small 4 button control box in the vehicle and the Digital system is controlled via a remote control. Could you please confirm which version you have?

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Anthony OysterTech Hi Anthony or are you like me and called Tony mine is Vision III is controlled via a small 4 button control box in the vehicle not the remote one.
Thanks Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info
I'm whatever people need me need me to be to be honest! Occasionally I'm even an Andrew or an Alistair!! :LOL:

Right, with regards to the system it could be simple or it could be a pain in the proverbial!
Wagoneer and SandraL are both on the right lines however the Vision III system is a little different in the process.
There is no "mechanical adjustment" option on your system so what you would need to do is the following:

1, Turn system on and let it raise
2, When it's almost upright but hasn't turned press the tick to stop the unit
3, Access the roof and check for any obstructions on and around the body of the system and clear if necessary.
4, Undo the two 17mm bolts either side of the main arm and lay the dish flat manually
NOTE: When you loosen the bolts the dish will fall so be careful to let it down gently.
5, Go back into the vehicle and on the control unit press and hold all four buttons until you hear a relay click. The system should then reset and the internal workings will be able to adjust without the system moving
6, When the control panel goes blank you can go back up on the roof and tighten the 2 bolts (70nm if you have a torque wrench)
7, Turn it on and test.

If the problem still persists then we may need to see it to investigate further but fingers crossed this fixes the issue.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Anthony OysterTech
Hi There thanks for that; as I stated I’m away at the moment but heading home tomorrow so I’ll mess about with it then; at the moment it’s in the retracted position so would it be a good idea to remove the 10amp fuse just in case it tries to operate when traveling?
Many Thanks Tony

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good aftrenoon Tony,

Sorry for the delayed reply, busy morning here.
It won't hurt removing the fuse and for peace of mind it's a good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back