Not another cam belt thread (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Deciding whether to take my mechanic to court as we dropped off the motorhome at just after 9am and collected at 1pm so, by your say so he could not have carried out this work especially as he categorically stated he would change the water pump.
Didn’t you have sight of the parts that were changed? I was in the Trailer/Towing business (not automotive) but it was my policy to always show/offer the replaced parts to the customer.
I was aware of one local fitter who charged for replacement wheel bearings, brake shoes, etc when he didn’t even bother removing the wheel from the brake drum! ☹️😡🤬

#TowLegal #TowSafe

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Didn’t you have sight of the parts that were changed? I was in the Trailer/Towing business (not automotive) but it was my policy to always show/offer the replaced parts to the customer.
I was aware of one local fitter who charged for replacement wheel bearings, brake shoes, etc when he didn’t even bother removing the wheel from the brake drum! ☹️😡🤬

#TowLegal #TowSafe
Yes the mechanic showed me the old parts and also stated it looks like the idler was original when the previous owner had spent good money on having the belts changed 5 years ago.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I’d stick with him! 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Snap, just had a £500 service and been quoted £1100 for cambelt and water pump on a 2017 Ducato. This was at Motorsave in Manchester, Fiat Professional shop. Time to look for an independent, maybe.
'Snap' ?
An unfortunate choice of word.

:confused:

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Given that my vehicle only covered 8 miles in the last 18 months, I think I'll delay my cam-belt change by a year - or is that unwise?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Given that my vehicle only covered 8 miles in the last 18 months, I think I'll delay my cam-belt change by a year - or is that unwise?
Cam belts wear with age as well as mileage and I'm not sure them being stuck in one position for long periods does them any good either, so personally I wouldn't take the risk, I had one go on a transit once, luckily it only bent a couple of push rods but could have been much worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back