Not another cam belt thread (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Well, for all the nay sayers etc. I have just returned from having my cam belt replaced.
Complete kit including water pump.
Replaced anti freeze and bled system.
Carried out service and inspection including oil change.
Reset the service interval for me.
Total price:- £410 including VAT

Not a bad week as she passed MOT with zero advisories 2 days ago @ £39.50.

So anyone in the Nottingham area I can supply his details.

Happy days and ready for the off again next Wednesday.

:Grin: :Grin: :Grin:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Still waiting for the invoice for ours ..... only been a month since it was done :)

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Sounds a bit cheap, which kit did they use?
The Fiat kit is £400 our independent will only use the Fiat kit due to problems with others.
Not sure which kit but here ooop norf we charge a reasonable price for the job. He showed me the parts he removed stating the belt looked ok but one of the rollers was an original. The water pump had been replaced at the last belt change 5 years ago. :giggle: :giggle: I have read reports on this forum of some being charged an arm and a leg for cam belt change, this makes a happy change.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not sure which kit but here ooop norf we charge a reasonable price for the job. He showed me the parts he removed stating the belt looked ok but one of the rollers was an original. The water pump had been replaced at the last belt change 5 years ago. :giggle: :giggle: I have read reports on this forum of some being charged an arm and a leg for cam belt change, this makes a happy change.

Id say a reasonable price for the job 👍

As for “genuine Fiat kit” Fiat don’t make cam belts, water pumps or rollers 😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Id say a reasonable price for the job 👍

As for “genuine Fiat kit” Fiat don’t make cam belts, water pumps or rollers 😊
Maybe not but they will be made to their spec. With engines costing 7k or 8k these days not worth the risk of fitting cheaper stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My van is 5 years old, Im going to get a quote for a 5 year service and cambelt from my nearest Fiat Professional garage.
Any guesses to cost?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My van is 5 years old, Im going to get a quote for a 5 year service and cambelt from my nearest Fiat Professional garage.
Any guesses to cost?
Just be seated when they tell you. They quoted me in excess of £700 but that was on a AClass.
Went local for a professional job at a reasonable price.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I though Fuzz on Car SOS answer to the problem was a good one, if you're just changing the belt cut the old one in half all the way round and take the outer half off , slide the new belt on then cut the other half off and push it all the way on

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Garages use Gates. Can’t improve on them. No where near £400 for the kit !

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I though Fuzz on Car SOS answer to the problem was a good one, if you're just changing the belt cut the old one in half all the way round and take the outer half off , slide the new belt on then cut the other half off and push it all the way on
Surely that's a fine way to put your timing out???

I'm not expect but.....?

Cheers James

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have read reports on this forum of some being charged an arm and a leg for cam belt change, this makes a happy change.
I think the arm and leg charges take effect when it's an A class with a letter box slit for a bonnet opening.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I think that’s a very good price ,I’ve had mine done in Germany for the last 15 years ,the last 13 years for 250 euros the price has just gone up to 350 euros .but they are doing many every week .They are a Fiat commercial dealer only genuine Fiat parts . MW Fahrzeugtechnik Schoffengrund .I was lucky enough to have a problem! Went into limp home mode , I spoke to the factory for help and they advised me to ring mario the owner the rest is history.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I think the arm and leg charges take effect when it's an A class with a letter box slit for a bonnet opening.
Maybe but being told that the FIAT price is £400for just the belt kit is a bit steep when I have been quoted £350 for the whole job. I was charged £410 which included oil, antifreeze and small service plus he reset the servicing interval which has not been done in years as other independents I have used for service have not managed to do it. :unsure: :unsure: Anyway, never mind the naysayers,, I am more than happy with the job and price. :Grin:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Maybe not but they will be made to their spec. With engines costing 7k or 8k these days not worth the risk of fitting cheaper stuff.

Agree you want to fit quality parts but all you need to do is find out who supplies Fiat with the parts.

Just like oil, if it’s made to the Fiat spec it’s all good 👍

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Done that. Usually necessary to ease the tensioner a little. Once the new one is in place zip tie it so you can replace the tensioner & idler.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Surely that's a fine way to put your timing out???

I'm not expect but.....?

Cheers James
It's an old trick for changing the belt, cut it in the middle around its length, remove half of it then push the new belt on. Timining should be fine.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Well, for all the nay sayers etc. I have just returned from having my cam belt replaced.

What vehicle is this on because,
IF this is on a Fiat X250 Ducato, I would be VERY dubious about this price because for the Cam Belt change it's about the right price BUT,
IF the water pump, (which Fiat states is good for the life of the vehicle), HAS to be change, this is a major engine strip down job and therefore, VERY expensive!
Good Luck!

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
What vehicle is this on because,
IF this is on a Fiat X250 Ducato, I would be VERY dubious about this price because for the Cam Belt change it's about the right price BUT,
IF the water pump, (which Fiat states is good for the life of the vehicle), HAS to be change, this is a major engine strip down job and therefore, VERY expensive!
Good Luck!
Not sure what you are stating. The standard procedure is to replace the water pump at the same time as the cam belt as they are both behind the cover. No need to strip down the engine. Fiat ducato X250 130bhp 2010 :unsure:
ps this is now it's 3rd water pump,, original,, changed at 5 years and now changed again.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just had a major service on an A class at a Fiat professional garage for the sum of £524.00 inc VAT. Next year no scheduled service is required but the cam belt will need changing at a cost of approx £1100.00

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.

That seems really cheap. The parts and all the lubs are over £500. As long as your satisfied its been done correctly and happy with the job, that's what matters.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
google is your friend,, a quick search
Eurocarparts £160.99
£239.99
Where on earth do you get over £500 or are you filling up with gold oil ??

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
google is your friend,, a quick search
Eurocarparts £160.99
£239.99
Where on earth do you get over £500 or are you filling up with gold oil ??

Just logged on to the two links you gave, the first one is for a Fiat scudo and the second does not mention Fiat at all? :unsure:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think that’s a very good price ,I’ve had mine done in Germany for the last 15 years ,the last 13 years for 250 euros the price has just gone up to 350 euros .but they are doing many every week .They are a Fiat commercial dealer only genuine Fiat parts . MW Fahrzeugtechnik Schoffengrund .I was lucky enough to have a problem! Went into limp home mode , I spoke to the factory for help and they advised me to ring mario the owner the rest is history.
Hi, what does Mario own ? . The dealership in Germany you mentioned ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back