Not all Motorhome drivers are decent - or was i expecting too much ! (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Due to a major local accident on Saturday I had to take a diversion using narrow country lanes. This journey was in our new compact car (Suzuki Alto) The lane became narrow & I pulled into a passing area & stopped to allow a motorhome to pass through. It was a classic Talbot Express with large wrap around bumpers, he managed squeeze through until pass my front end then hit my rear wheel arch dent the wing and scalp the bumper with his bumper.

Ok so accidents happen. I got out to exchange details & he drove off. I got his number.

Luckily the driver behind him acknowledged the accident & gave his witness details. The Police have been informed. Now the ball ache of processing an insurance claim.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
And......................So........................Why was he not 'decent'?? With the noise those engines make, good chance he heard nothing.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
And......................So........................Why was he not 'decent'?? With the noise those engines make, good chance he heard nothing.
and going through a tight space he wasn't using his wing mirrors? Come on!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

So your seriously saying that a guy hits a car in a MH, then drives away, knowing he hit it, and also knowing his number will be taken?? Not some kid in a stolen Fiesta.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Last two road traffic accidents I have been involved in they both did a runner. One succeeded :(

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We now have travellers using motorhomes in our area maybe its getting more widespread

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you hit something with your front end in a Motorhome then you know about it. If they catch up with him He'll deny all knowledge and in these situations the insurance companies will often go knock for knock and you'll share the blame so do some maths before claiming.

I had a guy seriously damage my Motorhome with his trailer while overtaking, he went to stop then thought he'd run and tried to get away from us, I chased him for 2o miles down tiny lanes in a 34ft RV. I eventually caught up with him when we hit some traffic, yanked open the drivers door ready to kill someone. But the old boy was about 70 in a bit of shock from the chase and just mumbling sorry, over and over.

Most of the crunches in car parks are not made by people in stolen fiestas, they are made by people not decent enough to leave their details.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
But the old boy was about 70 in a bit of shock from the chase and just mumbling sorry, over and over.

Most of the crunches in car parks are not made by people in stolen fiestas, they are made by people not decent enough to leave their details.

I think you have just upset about 90% on here:crying::crying:

:rofl::rofl:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Clipped
I had a guy seriously damage my Motorhome with his trailer while overtaking, he went to stop then thought he'd run and tried to get away from us, I chased him for 2o miles down tiny lanes in a 34ft RV. I eventually caught up with him when we hit some traffic, yanked open the drivers door ready to kill someone. But the old boy was about 70 in a bit of shock from the chase and just mumbling sorry, over and over.

I always wondered how you met Old Mo.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
oh he knew he hit me. As he was moving slowly passed other vehicles behind me I got out & shouted after him, he then stopped I said 'you have just hit me' he says 'who hit who' I replied 'you hit me as I had stopped' that's when he gave me 2 fingers & drove off.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not commenting on your situation, but hate these buggers in fancy cars that stop about two foot from the hedge so as not to scratch it then expect you to get past them then blame you if you scratch it but they just sit there they won't try to get past you

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Hi.
He perhaps WAS using his wing mirrors and there lies the problem,there is one on each side. I cannot see into both wing mirrors at the same time,this is why i failed to become a steam engine driver on the railway,i could not see both sides of the boiler while driving...( Go on...SMILE)
Upsetting ? Yes. Metal/Plastic can be mended.
Tea Bag

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I had a guy seriously damage my Motorhome with his trailer while overtaking, he went to stop then thought he'd run and tried to get away from us, I chased him for 2o miles down tiny lanes in a 34ft RV. I eventually caught up with him when we hit some traffic, yanked open the drivers door ready to kill someone. (But the old boy was about 70) in a bit of shock from the chase and just mumbling sorry, over and over.

Cheeky old sod..... you aint no spring chicken.... :p:ROFLMAO:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I feel sorry for the person that prangs our MH
female-gangster-smiley-emoticon.gif

That said, as I like to do the driving, chances are I'll be beating myself up.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Living in a single track road as I do I have grown quite cautious recently and will reverse back a long way if necessary until the road is wide enough for the oncoming vehicle to pass, assuming it is best for me to reverse instead of them. I started doing this after being scraped by a Land Rover last year. I had stopped in the passing place as they approached, they slowed down but didn't pull over enough and scraped my rear wing. We exchanged names etc., and went our way.

In the end I didn't claim on the insurance as the damage was superficial, could be repaired for £200.00 and I felt it wasn't worth it, taking into account the excess and the longer term effect of having a claim on my record. The other issue was their insurance company might have tried the "knock for knock" approach and there were no witnesses. I guess a dash camera might be an idea but I leave that in the MH.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Not commenting on your situation, but hate these buggers in fancy cars that stop about two foot from the hedge so as not to scratch it then expect you to get past them then blame you if you scratch it but they just sit there they won't try to get past you

This happened to us in the middle of nowhere up in the dales on a very narrow road. Ralph started to move slowly .
Windows screaming as they were getting scraped by the bushes .
Then I reminded him, we have food, water, and a bed (y)
They eventually moved along. Shouting obscenities out of the window as they went. :rofl:

Reactions: kcy
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Well! I, say ban them from the roads entirely, they should all be deported to where their M/H is made. or send em to somewhere where the weather is 'orrible, snow metres deep, horizontal rain, temp. in single figures all year round, eeerrmm? Anglesey Yep! thats the place!

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
A long slow process & we are no further forward. The driver who hit me is now stating to his insurance company that it wasn't him driving his motorhome!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A long slow process & we are no further forward. The driver who hit me is now stating to his insurance company that it wasn't him driving his motorhome!
Did he report the accident within 24 hours to the police?? If not, he's in it big time. Failing to stop at the scene of an accident, failure to report an accident.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Good reason to get a dashcam, the video will show who's driving and record the sounds. I have one in every vehicle I drive. The ones in the MH and the toad are also useful as footage while editing video of trips we've made, much steadier than a hand held camera.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
  • No he is dodging the police good 'n ' proper. He says he has sent back the intent of prosecution but the police have never received it & dodges them when they want to interview him.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Me thinks he may not be insured. Good luck if that's the case.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh dear, I hope he has insurance. I went through months of being messed about by the MIB. I was paid out but it was ages and I had to pay my costs up front.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Don't generalise or you will be caught out!

There's a bad apple or more in every barrel or whatever the old saying was!

I'm just pleased you got his number.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If he hasnt got insurance isnt there a fund you can claim from for unisured drivers?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back