Not all bio tablets are equal! (2 Viewers)

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We started using Lidl Bio Liquid (Formil) last summer..... SWMBO thinks it's great.... she hated the smell of the Toilet Liquids/tabs .... and the cassette is much cleaner inside..... note to self.... need some more for next Thursday for when we head off for 10 days touring..... Safe Travels Everyone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I always post this where I see Threads on BIO

On the continent you will not see the word Bio; instead you have to look for the word 'enzyme' in the ingredients - take your glasses.

I just looked up enzyme in Greek it transliterlates as 'ένζυμο'. Fortunately I can read Greek alphabet. - Alpha, Beta. Gamma ...........α β γ

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I always post this where I see Threads on BIO

On the continent you will not see the word Bio; instead you have to look for the word 'enzyme' in the ingredients - take your glasses.

I just looked up enzyme in Greek it transliterlates as 'ένζυμο'. Fortunately I can read Greek alphabet. - Alpha, Beta. Gamma ...........α β γ
?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
After looki at these posts started using the bio tabs. We both think that they are rubbish and going back to the blue stuff as soon as possible.
The bio tabs/pods/thetford green all work brilliantly, but depend on the enzymes being alive. If you’ve been using blue before (which actively KILLS the bacteria/enzymes that are digesting your sewage) you’ll need to rinse out the cassette extremely thoroughly, several times, otherwise the enzymes will be killed and the cassette will stink.

Nothing would persuade me to return to the bad old blue days. That stuff is toxic and reeks.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've never understood the claim that any of these additives help break down the solids, if you empty every other day or third day then surely it doesn't have time to work?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We're just about to begin our life with a SOG and have chosen to not be purposefully adding any chemicals in until we have had a chance to live with the extracted system for a while. How long that will last will ultimately depend on how successful the SOG is at keeping the small room smelling fresh. We also use a diluted freshener to spritz the toilet bowl rather than flushing litres of water down the trap all the time. Happy days!

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Although SOG say that you need nothing else to be added to the cassette, that depends on the effectiveness of the carbon filter and the distance to your neighbour. Several times we have been close to others so I fiited a small switch to turn of the fan if I thought it might annoy someone.
I think I did once on a CAMC site and, after a lot of coughing, he proceeded to start his petrol generator by my toilet window!
Before that we were in Morocco and a lovely young couple who had a tent on top of the Land Rover(which they had managed to roll over in the desert).They set up they kitchen outside our toilet so the switch was handy!
( Can you beleive they had rolled the Landrover in morocco but were pleased they were only 500 miles form Spain- Windscreen held in with Gaffa tape! Oh how it is to be young!)
Mike & Ann

Griff097

LIFE MEMBER
May 19, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
After reading threads on Persil Bio pouches we were keen to try them to be more environmentally friendly and be able to deposit in septic tanks etc
Thoroughly washed the cassette out and within a day the stink of perfume/detergent was enough to stop me sleeping and have to open the windows in the middle of the night, set my asthma off badly.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Good point.
I use the Thetford flush additive but diluted in a spray bottle. Designed for the job so I think ok on the seal. I also use the Thetford silicone seal spray when not using van for a while.
+1. A spray with diluted pink stuff after every flush really helps keep the pan clean.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
After reading threads on Persil Bio pouches we were keen to try them to be more environmentally friendly and be able to deposit in septic tanks etc
Thoroughly washed the cassette out and within a day the stink of perfume/detergent was enough to stop me sleeping and have to open the windows in the middle of the night, set my asthma off badly.
Had exactly the same issues. Even tried 2 tabs. Bloody awful!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had exactly the same issues. Even tried 2 tabs. Bloody awful!

Hence why you are better off with liquid (ie in bottles) as that way you can minimise the amount you put it ... you need to remember that the pouches are meant to be used with a much larger volume of liquid, not a piddley little toilet cassette.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're trying out the Tesco Bio capsules as being easier to store/handle than the liquid we've used for years. Looks like we need two capsules per fill, much as we've noticed we need about twice the amount of liquid we used to use. Beginning to wonder if Tesco are watering down their bio stuff?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hence why you are better off with liquid (ie in bottles) as that way you can minimise the amount you put it ... you need to remember that the pouches are meant to be used with a much larger volume of liquid, not a piddley little toilet cassette.
It's not the piddle that causes the aroma ... Nuclear strength after all the fruit and fibre, and high pressure hose for the eviction of the cassette contents ... We now have Camping Stools 1 where we can rest our feet; and Camping Stools 2 where you most certainly should not ... [unless you want to hose the soles of your shoes before entering the Van ...] :LOL:

Steve

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
We are getting our new campervan in a few weeks time - yes it is at the dealers (y)and want to try the bio route before the casette is contaminated with the blue stuff we used to use in the old MH. Reading this thread am I right in concluding you use 1/2 pods (Lidl or Aldi) or about 2 x the amount of bio liquid compared with the blue stuff?
Sorry if this sounds a bit over kill, but we want to get it right as don't want to revert to the toxic blue stuff.
Also is it OK to use the diluted pink stuff as a spray together with the bio? Hope it doesn't kill the enzymes.
Sue

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We are getting our new campervan in a few weeks time - yes it is at the dealers (y)and want to try the bio route before the casette is contaminated with the blue stuff we used to use in the old MH. Reading this thread am I right in concluding you use 1/2 pods (Lidl or Aldi) or about 2 x the amount of bio liquid compared with the blue stuff?
Sorry if this sounds a bit over kill, but we want to get it right as don't want to revert to the toxic blue stuff.
Also is it OK to use the diluted pink stuff as a spray together with the bio? Hope it doesn't kill the enzymes.
Sue

We started our new van cassette on bio liquid and not had any problems.
We use 50ml of Aldi bio laundry liquid per cassette - we simply add more if necessary.
We use a 50/50 diluted version in a spray bottle for around the bowl and for cleaning.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I just slurp it in, and then a little on the trap door when closed lovely aroma in the loo of clean washing

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
how thorough cleaning and with what do you need when you transition to bio tabs ? we have gone back to blue twice because of the wifes nose (it works, mine doesn't).
tried tabs and liquid

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
how thorough cleaning and with what do you need when you transition to bio tabs ? we have gone back to blue twice because of the wifes nose (it works, mine doesn't).
tried tabs and liquid
There must be no trace of chemicals left in the cassette. It will kill the baby bio bugs instantly. Try lots of bio to begin with and more if needed

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have tried twice using boiling water and then bio washing 5 times strengh for 48 hrs. before trying actual use. no success.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have tried twice using boiling water and then bio washing 5 times strengh for 48 hrs. before trying actual use. no success.
No success with what? The bio stuff isn’t normally in our cassette long enough for full breakdown of solids. It is still a bit smelly but I can cope with that. It certainly doesn’t come out of the cassette smelling of clean washing! However it does allow all to rinse out cleanly.
Stealaway, Do you rinse? If so then you will probably kill off the friendly bacteria anyway with the chlorinated water. It is the reason why one should never rinse pond filters in tap water.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We have switched to Lidl Formil whilst in Spain for the last six weeks.

I have to say, it needed some perseverance to get through the thoroughly clean phase and all the blue completely out, but now that has happened, it’s actually reasonably effective.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I've never understood the claim that any of these additives help break down the solids, if you empty every other day or third day then surely it doesn't have time to work?
Pretty much what I have concluded over the years. Have used Aldi/Lidl bio liquid and also went without anything when I fitted a decent SOG to my last van. Current one came with the integrated Thetford fan. Not as good as a proper SOG and failed after little more than 2 years. Too much faff to fix. Have been using the green stuff from Aldi for a while. Half the price of the big names and keeps everything fresh at modest dose, since our cassette probably needs emptying twice over a three day cycle.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
No success with what? The bio stuff isn’t normally in our cassette long enough for full breakdown of solids. It is still a bit smelly but I can cope with that. It certainly doesn’t come out of the cassette smelling of clean washing! However it does allow all to rinse out cleanly.
Stealaway, Do you rinse? If so then you will probably kill off the friendly bacteria anyway with the chlorinated water. It is the reason why one should never rinse pond filters in tap water.
I don't always rinse as it's not necessary to if there is no smell. I'd not thought about chorine in tap but I have never had a problem. I sometimes rinse it out with water from the grey tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back