Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Hi ,
New member from about as far South Lincs as you can get although I have been lurking as a reader for sometime . Well today I should have been driving up the A1 to collect my first motorhome a new IH 600RD Fiat automatic. I say should because I receive a phone call to say that whilst driving the van into the workshop the engine management light came on so the vehicle has now been taken to a local Fiat garage for repair . Apparently they have diagnosed a faulty fuel sensor which is being replaced . Maybe I shouldn't have arranged to collect on the 13th but I must admit I am far from confident about the reliability particularly as I read that Fiat apparently means Fix It Again Tomorrow. Hopefully next Monday will be collection day and then a chance to see if my fears were unfounded . I've owned several vehicles in my lifetime but only one Fiat which was a new Panda and that was 100% reliable so fingers crossed. As already mentioned this motorhoming lark will be all new to me but in life they say it is better to regret something you done rather than something you didn't do so giving it a go. I'm sure I know the answer to this but is 71 too old to take up motorhoming ? Why didn't I buy one before well my wife has only just retired so I wasn't sure we would use it much ,that may well be the case now but hey lets give it a go . I must say that this seems a friendly forum and some of the humour has made me burst out laughing . Being a total newcomer prepare for some stupid questions from me in the future .

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum and your a mere youngster on here at 71.
All vehicles have their problems and I don't think fiat are any worse than others.
Mines a 2003 and been fine for three years but I had an advisory for front wheel bearing recently (common problem apparently). So I'm not to concerned.
Did 1800 miles round France this summer and never missed a beat.
So forget worrying and just enjoy and no such thing as a silly question.
Lots of knowledgeable folks on here happy to help (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
:hiya2:w2f
Not all MH are as bad as many claim, had ours 10 years done almost 80,000 with very little going wrong during that time. ( that's done it)
Ours is a Peugeot though but they are all the same nowerdays
Have FUN
For a start try starting a new thread in the Motorhome Chat forum part with your specific questions to get more replies

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Welcome
We currently own a Panda 4x4 and a Hymer Exsis with Fiat engine and previously Autotrail Fiat all have been reliable engines without problems in excess of 70000 miles in all.(y)(y)(y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're on our 4th van. Apart from the first one they have all been Fiats and they've all been reliable.
And,
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:Like everything in life you get good and bad. With all the Fiat based motorhomes on the road, you will get the odd one hopefully not yours. Enjoy your van.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi welcome to fun happy and safe travels.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
From another IH owner. I am literally just home from taking mine for first service at 2 years. Thankfully I have had no Fiat problems but I did get the ignition switch changed on the recall and this morning I got the update to have the dashboard lights permanently on. I found it does make a difference just on the short journey home.
Hope all is well when you pick it up and wishing you lovely adventures in it.
I went on my first rally to Malvern Show in August and it was good to meet up with other IH owners and get some tips.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome to the group.:welco:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome try not to worry just enjoy it!
This is a lovey forum for help, advice , banter and friendship enjoy and hope to meet up in a field sometime!!:WelcomeFlag:

Deleted User
Sounds like you are from the Market Deeping area then, in any case welcome. My Fiat is just over 3 years old with 32k miles and as yet to miss a beat, in fact the Fiat base is the best bit about the van, hope yours turns out to be the same.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
is 71 too old to take up motorhoming ?

Don't know about motorhoming but we are wary of kids in here. All that RAP. Drinking. Debauchery.

Just remember your elders in here who like a cup of cocoa at 7:50 and in bed for 8:00 and TURN THAT RAP OFF.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I say should because I receive a phone call to say that whilst driving the van into the workshop the engine management light came on so the vehicle has now been taken to a local Fiat garage for repair . Apparently they have diagnosed a faulty fuel sensor which is being replace.

Hi Trev,

We picked up our new Fiat-Ducato based van a few weeks ago and ours is now displaying an intermittent Amber triangle/explanation mark symbol.

I have examined all of the potential issues (as per the manual) and my conclusion is that it's a fuel system issue.

It's far too early to tell but I'm wondering if a batch of Ducatos have dodgy sensors on the fuel system.

I'll report back once we've hooked it up to a diagnostic machine.

All the best (and a big welcome)(y)

Andrew

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Have no idea about reliability of fiats, but '71' is just the right age for new adventurers! Welcome to Motorhome fun! :pink::pink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back