Norway.....timing (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Is mid-April too soon to start a trip to Norway, up through Germany and Denmark? Would want to get into Norway quite quickly from Hirtshals.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would say you should be OK in the south of Norway anyway
Just like here you can get the odd nasty surprise with the weather.. I've seen snow still on the roadsides in June at higher levels..
It might pay to check when their requirement to have winters fitted ceases... I'm sure they have such a rule though I'm not sure how it's enforced, unless you cause or are involved in an accident..
Andy.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks @andy63. I expect we'll work our way up to Jutland over a few days before getting a ferry, then start a circuit of Norway. Probably not aiming to go further north than Trondheim, which might help with the weather. Good tip about winter tyre requirement. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Helpful but slightly odd. It says tyres marked ' MS' or 'M+S' are acceptable. That would include Michelin Agilis CP tyres, which I have. However, I wouldn't count them as true snow/winter tyres. Still, not an issue with my dates and itinerary but maybe useful for others.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Helpful but slightly odd. It says tyres marked ' MS' or 'M+S' are acceptable. That would include Michelin Agilis CP tyres, which I have. However, I wouldn't count them as true snow/winter tyres. Still, not an issue with my dates and itinerary but maybe useful for others.
I haven't had a look at the link yet but my sister lives in southern Norway. . (Couple hours north of kristiansand) they used to use the studded snow tyres but nowfind they manage with ordiary winter tyres.. you usually find that those that live off the beaten track away from the main roads still use the studded tyres in winter..
Just as an aside brenda says one of the biggest problems is foreign trucks coming into the country without winter tyres and causing havoc with accidents and blocking roads been unable to get up the hills.. I think they are quite often prosecuted. .
Andy.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This was Norway in May

IMG_3037.JPG

Some of the high level roads were still closed.

Enjoy your adventure!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back