Norway,time to consider driving south (1 Viewer)

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi Kris

I read an article in the UK this week saying the Aurora best viewing months are September and February, I have been told February is not an option to drive anywhere near far enough north

so what about next September for a month, somewhere up near or above Tromso, from your local knowledge do I stand much chance of a sighting?

Provided I am heading south again by this time next year (maybe another 7 days hopefully) do you think it is a realistic time to travel so far north?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
David if you have time this is well worth a watch, start at the beginning and see how far you get or cherry pick the best of the 35 or 36 episodes. It helps if you have an Italian Dictionary. They went with a Laika in January and met a guy :eek:cycling:eek: to the North Cape. Awesome in parts and a good insight to the necessity of real preparation and planning.(and multi-million euro back up!)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Further to my last, having spent 4 winters in Finnmark and Troms (including 1986 when 14 Norwegian soldiers were killed in an avalanche) I agree with all Arctic Kris says but there are hardy souls who go in the deepest winter without the backup that the Laika team had.(y)

Last edited:

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
David, don't be a woose, no cruising. Get that Pilote of yours loaded up and go

OP
OP
ArcticKris

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
Hi David,

Tromsø in September is no problem,and you will see the Aurora providing its a nice clear night,cold and no clouds,dont worry too much about the bad weather and snow,its over 200 mtrs that it maybe snows,but the roads are still warm enough from the summer to melt the early snow falls,i would be heading south at the end of September if i was you,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Unfortunately can only take short breaks for the foreseeable future, Hugh

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi David,

Tromsø in September is no problem,and you will see the Aurora providing its a nice clear night,cold and no clouds
Thanks Kris - can't believe I was so dim; worked in Oslo for 4 months in beginning 2003 and never took the opportunity

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - and we moan about the temperature over here when it reaches 10 deg C

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Remember my first experience of driving on studded tyres when in Norway (the warmer, southern bit) ....... Weird until you get used to it

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
No i am not a tyre sales man,, , , , , these are what keep you on the road in severe cold climates,they are the best,

Broken Link Removed

Good link Kris, thanks. I doubt whether they will be available in the UK for a while!;)

OP
OP
ArcticKris

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
Here we go,ok not a motorhome but it always makes me smile,"the crazy turist",,,,on the way up the hill towards "Nordkapp" i talked with him and he said it was his lifes dream to cycle from Tokyo to Nordkapp Norway,amazeing man,

Attachments

• PA140010.JPG
    PA140010.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 42

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here we go,ok not a motorhome but it always makes me smile,"the crazy turist",,,,on the way up the hill towards "Nordkapp" i talked with him and he said it was his lifes dream to cycle from Tokyo to Nordkapp Norway,amazeing man,
I love talking to people like that (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

If you watch the Laika Arctic Experience on You Tube, they meet a cyclist on the way to Nordkapp in January! Amazing individual.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you watch the Laika Arctic Experience on You Tube, they meet a cyclist on the way to Nordkapp in January! Amazing individual.

Was it Lance Armstrong after taking one too many pills?!:laughing:

I wonder if he made it? I know there is a race up in Alaska every winter called Iditabike or something similar. I saw one of the snow bikes at a trade show once. It had massive wide tyres for floatation on soft snow.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Kris, I used to drive up to Flakstadvag on the isle of Senja every summer for the fishing with the RV. That in itself was an epic journey. I cannot imagine what it would be like to ride a bicycle up there in winter.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey, that man has balls of steel(y)

We went to Nordkapp in June walked to Knivskjelodden and thought we were heroes :ROFLMAO:

(Blog entry here.....)

http://wolfydoesscandawegia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/9-june-e54-nordkapp-part-1.html

I feel quite humbled:eek:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
ArcticKris,

We just loved Norway. It is the most impressive county that we have ever been to and has set such a high benchmark that it is a 'difficult act to follow'

How I envy you living there (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
ArcticKris,

We just loved Norway. It is the most impressive county that we have ever been to and has set such a high benchmark that it is a 'difficult act to follow'

How I envy you living there (y)

Seconded, and the people are great too!(y) In four winters in the eighties we were shown generosity of all kinds by all sorts of people in all sorts of situations. (Lots of allsorts there but I am a Bassett:D)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Was it Lance Armstrong after taking one too many pills?!:laughing:

I wonder if he made it? I know there is a race up in Alaska every winter called Iditabike or something similar. I saw one of the snow bikes at a trade show once. It had massive wide tyres for floatation on soft snow.

He made it OK but I suspect he was more than a little pleased to get a hot brew off the LAIKA team when he was still 7 kms short!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back