Norway this may be of interest (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Looks good I just wish some brave explorer would do the trip in a large MH so we can get an idea of the true cost to us big beasts. We are in the stages of planning a 1 year trip starting this Spring, Norway is on our WISH WISH list but at 9m with bike rack all the research says I will have to remortgage the house to pay for the tolls and ferries. Have read a few Norway/Arctic circle blogs and it just looks amazing. We may have to wait a couple of years to see if we downsize then try then.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
no tolls (other than bridges) in Sweden. E45 - E 10 - enter that way?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have relatives in Stavanger .. They have said they would supply some land for us to plot up for while if we wanted to visit..
Perhaps one day...................

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've been planning to do it for several years now but some obstacle gets in the way every time. Cost is frightening in a big van so if we ever do it we'll do it all so be at least 2 months.
Interesting blog but personally rather use my motorbike tent and occasional motel than a tiny van like that, not for me.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anyone going.. Put Hell on your must visit list !

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
Looks good I just wish some brave explorer would do the trip in a large MH so we can get an idea of the true cost to us big beasts. We are in the stages of planning a 1 year trip starting this Spring, Norway is on our WISH WISH list but at 9m with bike rack all the research says I will have to remortgage the house to pay for the tolls and ferries. Have read a few Norway/Arctic circle blogs and it just looks amazing. We may have to wait a couple of years to see if we downsize then try then.

What would you like to know? We went for 10 weeks in 2013 in our 8.8m long, 3.6m high, 6 tonne motorhome. We took ferry from Hirtshalls to Larvik then travelled all the way to the top, over to Kirkines down through Finland stopping off to talk to Santa in Rovaneimi before getting ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn. Tallinn was the first campsite we were in.
From memory we used 4 ferries and we told them all we were 8 metres long. 3 charged us under 8m and the other one charged over 8m but didn't charge for a passenger. They cost £125 total. We registered for the electronic toll charging which worked great and I think we only paid £47.
We took loads of food in packets and tins, long life milk, all our wine, whisky, brandy & beer. We also took our yoghurt maker and bread machine which we used via the inverter while we were travelling. Here is an up to date grocery price list http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Norway
Everybody pays by credit/debit card so you don't need to take a lot of cash.
We loved it and are returning this autumn hoping to see the Northern Lights before returning end of October.
If you want any more info just ask.
John

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bookmarked this fantastic post, this should help us plan our 2016 Nordic Adventure, would go this year but diary is full. Thanks for the posting.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
What would you like to know? We went for 10 weeks in 2013 in our 8.8m long, 3.6m high, 6 tonne motorhome. We took ferry from Hirtshalls to Larvik then travelled all the way to the top, over to Kirkines down through Finland stopping off to talk to Santa in Rovaneimi before getting ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn. Tallinn was the first campsite we were in.
From memory we used 4 ferries and we told them all we were 8 metres long. 3 charged us under 8m and the other one charged over 8m but didn't charge for a passenger. They cost £125 total. We registered for the electronic toll charging which worked great and I think we only paid £47.
We took loads of food in packets and tins, long life milk, all our wine, whisky, brandy & beer. We also took our yoghurt maker and bread machine which we used via the inverter while we were travelling. Here is an up to date grocery price list http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Norway
Everybody pays by credit/debit card so you don't need to take a lot of cash.
We loved it and are returning this autumn hoping to see the Northern Lights before returning end of October.
If you want any more info just ask.
John
Thanks for coming back on this John. I shall type up some thoughts and post
I appreciate the idea of these forums is for everyone to lean from the postings but would it be possible for me to contact you by telephone or you ring me to ask you loads. If you are happy to speak I can PM you contact details.We have been to Norway twice in Summers on cruise ships but on both occasions the weather was not kind to us. What we did encounter was breathtaking and dearly would like to tour up through Norway and back down through Sweden then continue around Europe. Be back later with questions.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It is interesting but I find the text too small
CTRL key & mouse scroll wheel will sort that out if on a Windows PC. Not sure about the equivalent commands on other platforms, but I expect they exist.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hopefully returning to my beloved Flakstadvag in June with the fiver. Get some fishing done and then a fast run home with the catch. If this new ferry gets off the ground we will be catching that, otherwise it will be Harwich-Hook, then Hirtshals-Larvic and transit up through Sweden to above the Circle before crossing over into Norway. I take a box of part baked bread and just about everything other than water with me.

johnandsue

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 640
Exp
Since 2012
I've been dreaming of doing such a trip and posts such as these make me even more determined. Time to,stop dreaming and get doing!

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
PM me and I will give you email and phone number
Bounty Hunter has given me some good information which I am now following up to see if a trip is within our budget with such a large MH. I will post something when I have put a few bits together so everyone can share from the information.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hopefully returning to my beloved Flakstadvag in June with the fiver. Get some fishing done and then a fast run home with the catch. If this new ferry gets off the ground we will be catching that, otherwise it will be Harwich-Hook, then Hirtshals-Larvic and transit up through Sweden to above the Circle before crossing over into Norway. I take a box of part baked bread and just about everything other than water with me.

Wow....thats a 3000 Km + run one way (34 hrs) love it! lots to see on way up though, we tend to use Helsinborg ferry rather then bridge which is more expensive? (check), although did use it first time it opened.....

impressive water falls, lakes, the bear park (unmissable at feeding time). Sami indian reservations, cheap camping or proper wild camping :censored:. Watched salmon fishing on a river in Sweden, have never seen fish so big, waters were real fast flowing and looked dangerous...have been up to lapland 3 times now never further though.

route: http://tinyurl.com/n2spbkp

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/europe/sweden/

Sweden not as expensive as Norway. we ate out most day, having main meals at lunch time as most restaurants have lunch time specials (dagens rätt) which is very popular and part of life there.. cost reasonable for a filling multi course lunch. bring your own alcohol with you as it is expensive.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back