Norway. That was a long 'un! (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But worth every minute.

I was a bit worried about Norway because of other folks' descriptions of it being "a bit Scottish" but it it is, it ain't like any bits of Scotland I've ever seen!

We tried to take in a good number of the National Tourist Routes that were nearly all just stunning. Truly a country that should be on every motorhomer's bucket list. Just a pain that it just so far these days.

Wouldn't bother with the west coast of Sweden again. We only ended up coming up that way because of our obsession with "The Bridge" scandi-drama. ;-)

holiday.jpg

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Wow that is we want to do would be interested in details as well :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Wow, green with envy ! Norway was a place we wanted to visit as my OH had been there several times when he was in the Army.m

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It's a trip we plan to do..

Can you give a rough breakdown of costs.. fuel, tolls, daily shopping.. don't drink so not worried about the £10 per pint :LOL:

as an aside.. I used to live in West Kilbride.. born in Lochwinnoch.. miss Scotland a lot..

My wife has been busy with the spreadsheet so I'm sure she won't let me forget what we spent!

On the whole though, fuel was cheaper that at home, we rarely spent more that £20 on a parking site in Norway (although we had a good number of free nights too) and whilst prices for food/drink were generally higher they weren't eye-wateringly higher. Certainly not a problem if you've stocked your van well before you start. We didn't do much shopping and had enough wine on board for the full trip. ;-)

Tolls came to 531.80 NOK which is about £42. Biggest toll charge was 150 NOK for the Hardanger bridge.

Ferries in Norway came to 1,400 NOK (approx £112) for 5 trips in a 7 metre motorhome.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Norway was going to be our "this year" trip but other places to go to this year interfered with our plans. Now planning for next year. After our one week taster in December staying with friends we are even more interested in a long trip in Scandinavia. Will look out for your blog if you manage to put one together.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you are going to Norway do not miss the Lofoten islands!!! Ferry about £70-80 from Bodo, for a <6 meter van. Also route 17 is lots of mini ferry cruises through the Fjords. Norway is an easy place to camp nobody bats an eyelid if you park in picnic sites laybys etc, also plenty of roadside services.
Norway is nothing like Scotland, Norway has thousands of square KM's of proper wilderness, Scotland has little official wild places any more.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're sort of on our way home now, having been right up to Nordkap. Currently taking a few days chillin' out in Denmark - and yes it's a long, long drive. To be honest we've been beset with problems right from the start and it's not been one of our best trips, though that's no fault of Scandinavia. We'll probably be back to try some of the bits we missed again (but not Nordkap).

Check out our blog if you wish - www.terryandbren9.blogspot.com - but it's not what I would call an inspiration.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Really enjoyed reading your blog, it is certainly is a long way! It is a trip i would love to do, love Norway. :)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have only been to Norway the easy way. Fjord cruise for10 days. Fantastic!
loved every minute of it. Cheapest place we ever been to, bought nothing because of the prices.
There were lots of motorhomes around the fjords on campsite right on the edge of the water. We were jealous and its on our hit list. The only down side is the distance, not the cost.
I saw a guy pull out a bloody great Salmon off the jetty using mackerel gear.
Must go one day.
Phil mefreezerwithfish.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I saw a guy pull out a bloody great Salmon off the jetty using mackerel gear.
Must go one day.
Phil mefreezerwithfish.

Actually that's one of the things you're NOT allowed to do. Legal limit for exporting fish is 15kg (though who checks I've no idea)!

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What about customs checking for own-consumption wine and beer on the way in? We're thinking of a 4-week trip next year and would like to take a couple of cases of each to enjoy by the fiords with our fish. :)

Also, anyone have any experience of Norwegian midges/mossies in July and August? It's something else that we're a little concerned about.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Actually that's one of the things you're NOT allowed to do. Legal limit for exporting fish is 15kg (though who checks I've no idea)!

15kg is a lot of fish if you fillet them first. That's what we bring back from the Faroes. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
What about customs checking for own-consumption wine and beer on the way in? We're thinking of a 4-week trip next year and would like to take a couple of cases of each to enjoy by the fiords with our fish. :)

Also, anyone have any experience of Norwegian midges/mossies in July and August? It's something else that we're a little concerned about.
In June we found there were no or few mozzies in Norway, they all seem to live in northern/central finland.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We met a British couple who had been stopped on their way in from Sweden at a pretty remote crossing - they declared what they had and had to pay a small fortune - but were told they would have had a lot more to pay if they hadn't declared.
We didn't come across Mozzies in June going up Norway to Nordkapp - coming back down through Sweden - yep -
We always plan for mozzies =even places that suggest they don't get mozzies - well yes they do
you will come across

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Nobody checked us for anything anywhere, although we did cross into Norway at a very small place (from Finland). As for midges/mozzies, we've encountered some, especially near water and/or wooded areas and usually in the early evening. Bren is particularly sensitive to their bites but she takes an anti-histamine tablet daily and although she has been bitten she has not reacted. We also use repellant (Boots Jungle Strength works well) and one of those smokey things or citronella candles.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thinking about Norway next year. I would like to try my hand at catching dinner but am a complete newcomer to fishing, other than the odd mackerel foray years ago. I know I could spend a small fortune on tackle but don't want to go mad. Would this Aldi gear do a turn?
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back