Norway, Sweden and Denmark (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Still on the ferry (as I write this!) coming back from our 8 week tour of Scandanavia. We had a fantastic time and I wholeheartedly recommend Scandanavia to anyone who fancies a change from France, Spain etc....

In terms of cost, Norway is the most expensive (especially if your van is over 6 metres or 3.5t !!) followed by Sweden then Denmark.

For sheer beauty and stunning scenery I would again list the three countries in the same order.

If anyone is interested you are welcome to look at my blog however I should add that it was always intended for family and friends only so please do not comment on the quality or content. If however it inspires you to visit any of the Scandanavian countries then it will have been worthwhile posting the link here.

http://wolfydoesscandawegia.blogspot.no/2014/04/friday-morning.html

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thank you. I'll work my way through your blog - I've got as far as the arrival in Sweden. It will be very useful for planning our trip - hopefully next year, but we'll see. Family to visit in Gothenburg - it will make a change from them coming over here.

We also have a Globecar, but the Campscout, so just (& only just) over the 6m mark. It will be a very expensive 12" when we go over the bridge. I'll have to compare with ferry prices, because a lot of them seem to draw their line at 7m.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Great Blog !!!!
Bookmarked it so i can continue reading later on

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Just bookmarked your blog for later reading as Sue and I are thinking of a trip next year.Thanks,will probably get round to reading when things are not so chaotic.:cool:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
This is also on our wish list for next year with our 1 year trip. Big problem is the size of us 8.7m and 5T its going to be expensive but looking at a few of your pics it will be worth it. Been to the area on a cruise but was very limited to what we could see

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, great photos and Norway is on our list to visit..

and I do like your van.. looks like a Globecar ?..

If so, that is also on our list for next year.. :D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have looking for your post and will now read your blog as we head there on the 17 July. My van is 7.2m long and just over 3.5t so have spent a lot of time looking into best and cheapest way to go. Our plan was to visit the 3 capitals mainly spending time in Sweden and Denmark, after a bit of research I have came to the conclusion the cheapest way I'd ferry Germany to Malmo then get the bus or train to Copenhagen for a day out. Will then drive to Stockholm and Oslo before getting ferry back to Denmark this way I miss out the expensive bridges.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Have looking for your post and will now read your blog as we head there on the 17 July. My van is 7.2m long and just over 3.5t so have spent a lot of time looking into best and cheapest way to go. Our plan was to visit the 3 capitals mainly spending time in Sweden and Denmark, after a bit of research I have came to the conclusion the cheapest way I'd ferry Germany to Malmo then get the bus or train to Copenhagen for a day out. Will then drive to Stockholm and Oslo before getting ferry back to Denmark this way I miss out the expensive bridges.

I would love to drop you a line when you get back if that is Ok, to see what the serious costings are for vans of our size. Read the blog and would love to travel up to the top but I think the expense would just be prohibitive.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not a problem, my daughter normally does a small blog so will let you have a look at that. I would assume your van will be the same price as ours, I have been working out the prices and it seems to be the bridges in Denmark that are the main expense both costing in the region of €90 each way although you can by a pass for one to make it cheaper. I can get a ferry from Travemunde to Malmo for €110 using camping Europe card, this route will save me about 160 miles and about €70 in bridge charges. We will then get the bus or train to Copenhagen for the day which will cost about €20 for 3.

I would love to go up north but due to holiday limit we only have 19 days.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Not a problem, my daughter normally does a small blog so will let you have a look at that. I would assume your van will be the same price as ours, I have been working out the prices and it seems to be the bridges in Denmark that are the main expense both costing in the region of €90 each way although you can by a pass for one to make it cheaper. I can get a ferry from Travemunde to Malmo for €110 using camping Europe card, this route will save me about 160 miles and about €70 in bridge charges. We will then get the bus or train to Copenhagen for the day which will cost about €20 for 3.

I would love to go up north but due to holiday limit we only have 19 days.
Thanks will keep in touch We are having a year off from April so should have the time, have a good trip we are off to Germany for 5 weeks next week.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just got back ............ 6300 miles later!! It's a long way to Nordkapp!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Yeah, sorry....;):cool::D Don't tell me you missed me! :LOL:

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Great blog, really enjoyed it! Lots of good info for a trip we would love to do. Thanks

Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Wow your photos are wonderful. We are off to Scandinavia in 3 weeks time. It looks absolutely amazing- I hope I can take photos as good as yours! I will have a good read before we set off.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks for your kind comments everyone (as for the photo's my wife takes the credit for those). :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the blog it has reassured us we have picked a great place for our holidays this year.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Wow your photos are wonderful. We are off to Scandinavia in 3 weeks time. It looks absolutely amazing- I hope I can take photos as good as yours! I will have a good read before we set off.

We are heading there on the 17th so might bump into you :rofl:

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Have enjoyed reading your blog... great photo's
And the Omnia looks a good bit of kit will look into one of them

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
and I do like your van.. looks like a Globecar ?..

If so, that is also on our list for next year.. :D

Thanks, yes it is a Globescout. We bought it last year from SMC Newark and have covered 17000 miles since. It is not everyone's cup of tea but we like it. The fixed double bed, rear garage, 100 litre fresh water tank, quality build and of course sub 6 metre (especially in Norway!).

They were quite rare in the UK when we ordered it (Oct 2012) but I notice that there are many more dealers in the UK now. In Scandanavia we saw dozens of them (Globecar and Possl...........they are virtually identical and made by Detlefs).

:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, yes it is a Globescout. We bought it last year from SMC Newark and have covered 17000 miles since. It is not everyone's cup of tea but we like it. The fixed double bed, rear garage, 100 litre fresh water tank, quality build and of course sub 6 metre (especially in Norway!).

They were quite rare in the UK when we ordered it (Oct 2012) but I notice that there are many more dealers in the UK now. In Scandanavia we saw dozens of them (Globecar and Possl...........they are virtually identical and made by Detlefs).

:D

Thanks..

I have been researching panel van conversions for some time now and the Globecar ticks all my boxes.. great build quality, layout, and fully winterised..
as we still have our 13yo daughter in tow for or a few years yet we will probably get the Family L. probably with the pop top.. but that may change.

Having lived in and toured the UK and Europe with a 36ft RV for five years and prior to that with a European C class, I'm really looking forward driving a PVC that we can go just about anywhere without having to make a plan before setting off and visiting places and exploring routes that I dared not in the RV..

Will definately visit Norway and will also go back to Morocco, which was ok in an RV, but a bit hairy at times...

Greece and Turkey also on the menu.. .. can't wait.. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back