Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
i’m trying to find information on the speed limits in Norway. The Visit Norway website, which I believe to be a credible source, says that camper vans under 7.5 tonnes are exempt from the speed limits for ‘regular’ vehicles of that size.

We are 7.49 tonnes, so I assume this would apply to us. However, I haven’t been able to confirm this from another credible source. I have pasted the wording from the Visit Norway site below, can anyone tell me where I can get credible info to confirm it please?

Heavy vehicles (over 3,5 tonnes) and vehicles towing caravans or trailers may not exceed 80 kilometres per hour regardless of the local limit. Camping cars under 7,5 tonnes are excepted from this rule and are allowed to follow indicated speed limits as other vehicles. If the caravan or trailer is not equipped with brakes, the maximum speed is 60 kilometres per hour.’

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
i’m trying to find information on the speed limits in Norway. The Visit Norway website, which I believe to be a credible source, says that camper vans under 7.5 tonnes are exempt from the speed limits for ‘regular’ vehicles of that size.

We are 7.49 tonnes, so I assume this would apply to us. However, I haven’t been able to confirm this from another credible source. I have pasted the wording from the Visit Norway site below, can anyone tell me where I can get credible info to confirm it please?

Heavy vehicles (over 3,5 tonnes) and vehicles towing caravans or trailers may not exceed 80 kilometres per hour regardless of the local limit. Camping cars under 7,5 tonnes are excepted from this rule and are allowed to follow indicated speed limits as other vehicles. If the caravan or trailer is not equipped with brakes, the maximum speed is 60 kilometres per hour.’

I do hope you are right. I don't understand the logic of countries that classify Motorhomes for speed limits and tolls as trucks. btw Denmark is one of them, its really tedious following miles of straight roads at 43mph, the fines can apparently be ridiculous.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I agree. Apparently if you go seriously over the speed limit you can be imprisoned! With that in mind I wanted to get definitive info on exactly what the limits are.

A word of warning about speed humps too when travelling in Norway... they’re savage little buggers and they’re everywhere!

We don’t have an issue about keeping to the limits but don’t want to be creeping around slower than a slow thing if there’s no need to. Can anyone advise please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
When on a car trip to North Cape I was stopped in the middle of nowhere by a policeman with a radar gun.

I was speeding from memory about 70 mph.
Cost me £750. They chased payment through English debt recovery so payment could not be avoided.

Lesson learned. Norway great place. Just don’t get caught speeding.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The wording seems plain enough if you are 7.49 tonnes you are under the limit.
We were up to 3.5 tonnes so can't give a definitive answer but having just been there you'll be doing well to exceed 80 kph on most of the roads we travelled on. Granted there are plenty of sections where you could but I found 50 mph adequate in most places and rarely did over 60 mph and even then we often overtaken by other bobils. :)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, the wording is clear on the Visit Norway website but I haven’t seen the same wording on other websites. I’m looking for a link to, say, a government one to confirm what’s Visit Norway say. I have tried to find such a site but have failed.

Sites can get it wrong eg, the Comfort insurance info on speed limits was quite obviously wrong since they said that the larger vehicles could go faster than the smaller ones.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A little off topic!!!! But drinking and driving is VERY strict in Norway----- don't do it (even if you can afford to!!!!) The limits are low and penalties very high!!
Nigel and Pamala

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When on a car trip to North Cape I was stopped in the middle of nowhere by a policeman with a radar gun.

I was speeding from memory about 70 mph.
Cost me £750. They chased payment through English debt recovery so payment could not be avoided.

Lesson learned. Norway great place. Just don’t get caught speeding.
Surely if it is a camping car as per the above post then it is below 7.5 tonne the ordinary speeds apply or are they very low as well?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've travelled Norway by 5.5t MH 2 years ago and BMW 1000RR motorbike last year.
Outside of towns and cities we were not overly troubled by speed limits ;)
The tolls for the tunnels are expensive and watch for the tunnel roundabout between Bjotveit and Gravin - to go right you need the left (2nd) exit. Get this wrong as we did and its €60 EACH way across the bridge and back to find the correct road.
You need to pre register on the system.
And the ferries are strict about <8 and >8m.

But a MH is a great way to see Norway as generally the food accommodation and booze is very expensive and the sites are fine.
Issue with Norway is that it is all about geography - get the weather and it is paradise, get the rain (or snow in Summer as we did) and your choices are limited.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we did mainly northern Norway last summer, cutting across through Lillehammer to the coast then up north, there are hundreds of speed cameras, I think I recall the national speed limit is only 50mph anyway, not sure if we were classed as bigger (5.5T) and should have been slower but on a good too many cameras they appeared to go from green to red as I passed :(

I did slow down a bit after the first couple but thought the same still applied on some even just under 50mph, I did fear a raft of tickets when I got home but didn't get any (y)

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
The wording seems plain enough if you are 7.49 tonnes you are under the limit.
We were up to 3.5 tonnes so can't give a definitive answer but having just been there you'll be doing well to exceed 80 kph on most of the roads we travelled on. Granted there are plenty of sections where you could but I found 50 mph adequate in most places and rarely did over 60 mph and even then we often overtaken by other bobils. :)
Can't think I wanted to go any faster either or even could most days.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Surely if it is a camping car as per the above post then it is below 7.5 tonne the ordinary speeds apply or are they very low as well?
Standard speed limit 80kph or 50 mph. So at 70ish Mph was well over.

The kind policemen did offer me jail if I didn’t want the fine.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 will know the answer.

Sorry..i wouldnt like to say..
Ive been twice in vans... both 3500kg... i always just abided by the signed speed limits..
Which is usually 80km/hour on the normal roads..motorways vary but up to 110km/hr on most i think...
The plus side to the lowish limits was ive never returned better mpg:D

Im on me travells atm but in about a weeks time i would be able to get sister to check .. if there is still uncertainty....she lives there...
Andy
Ps.. as said the cops there are strict.. im pretty sure you have to have your licence on you if they pull you in for a check

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You need to pre register on the system.

Not actually necessary - we didn't and got a bill for the proper amount (no surcharges - we did keep a note of tolls) a few weeks after our return from a UK handling company in sterling, paid through our normal bank account.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sorry I've not replied - I've been out of the signal area.

Thanks for the information... @tracr2man. I found it really difficult to get confirmation that the speed limit was as cars for motorhomes under 7.5 tonnes. It certainly doesn't pay to break the limits here either with regard to speed or alcohol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back