Norway mail boat trip (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Hello fellow funsters (although not much fun in the UK right now)
I read somewhere I think it was on this M H F page some time ago about being able to jet onto the Norwegian mail boat which sails along the coast calling in at towns cities along the coast , and you could get off anywhere that took your fancy and get on another mail boat next day or the day after and do the same again all the way tothe top of Norway,
A few questions,
was this post a wind up :giggle:
if it is genuine anybody on here done the trip
what is the onboard accommodation like
did you take your MH onboard with you
do the boats call in each stop every day or every other day
quite a few questions I know, but if this is do-able sounds interesting
providing our MH comes with us, + our little terrier (that is a dog) šŸ• not her WMBO šŸ§›ā€ā™€ļø

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
One of my clients did the 11 day Aurora trip with Hurtigruten, they said food was great (lots of fish), going into and out of the fiords to the different settlements was really interesting but be ready to spend lots on excursions. The scenery is to die for.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Only a few of the Hurtigruten ships take cars now but certainly not motorhomes.

From a query on a Facebook page regarding their UK departures where I brought the subject up:

Hurtigrutenā€™s Dover-based cruises operate for only 2 Ā½ months (June to August) and, of these, three (20 June, 18 July and 27 August) call at Skagen in Denmark. The cruises will be operated by ā€œMaudā€ (ex ā€œMidnatsolā€) which is currently receiving a major upgrade. Obviously, these voyages are cruises, not a ferry service ā€“ so passenger cannot book to disembark and leave the cruise at Skagen.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hello fellow funsters (although not much fun in the UK right now)
I read somewhere I think it was on this M H F page some time ago about being able to jet onto the Norwegian mail boat which sails along the coast calling in at towns cities along the coast , and you could get off anywhere that took your fancy and get on another mail boat next day or the day after and do the same again all the way tothe top of Norway,
A few questions,
was this post a wind up :giggle:
if it is genuine anybody on here done the trip
what is the onboard accommodation like
did you take your MH onboard with you
do the boats call in each stop every day or every other day
quite a few questions I know, but if this is do-able sounds interesting
providing our MH comes with us, + our little terrier (that is a dog) šŸ• not her WMBO šŸ§›ā€ā™€ļø
sounds similar to the banana boat Passengers , the container ships could carry limited passengers but they were working ships and not cruises

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
A well travelled friend did the whole coast of Norway and back on this ferry, said it was more like a small cruise ship, good food and plenty opportunities to leave the ship for sightseeing. He did it as a solo passenger and found the whole expererience very friendly.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Been looking at these after recently seeing Jane McD doing one on TV. Definitely seem to be a cruise in disguise. 7 day one from souther to top of Norway.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We did a northern lights trip by air a few years ago. We took Norwegian to Tromso and booked a hotel ourselves it worked out very reasonable and we saw the northern lights 4 times.
One day we took a fast catamaran down the coast and the Hurtigruten back. They aren't huge vessels and it wouldn't be for us. I think it would get pretty boring and I don't know if theres any entertainment I suspect like the rest of Norway things especially drink will be at a very high cost.
I think if you want a very relaxed time and like reading a lot you could enjoy it but be aware before you book what its going to be like.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hurigruten; we were very disappointed. Late January trip, decided that we would do the shorted trip from Tromso around the end of Norway to Russia in one of their 'discovery' vessels rather than take it from the south (been there previously). 2 of the nights we were holed up in an industrial port as the weather was too bad in the open water. There was a snow storm but that what you expect in January! Plus we were underwhelmed by the meals. So not the best of trips for us although worth going to Tromso which was lovely in the snow.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Our Son has done the one which goes round the coast of Iceland, but you need to remember that it is a working cargo ship foremost, and if you are late in getting back to it if you explore a stopping point, they have a timetable and won't wait for you.
He said it was one of the best holidays he has ever had, a really different experience,

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The route started life as a mail boat but could take passengers----- it is still a mail run but as more people found about the incredible scenery on the route they started to run more as a mini cruise.
It starts at Bergen if I remember correctly and turns back near the Russian border they are quite big boats considering they run up fjords---------- I have done quite a bit around Norway and the coast but would still like to do this---- preferably in the winter!!-----' I have yet to see Northern Lights!!!
I worked on a Norwegian boat a hundred years ago+/_
We were told that oldies get a massive price reduction----- have yet to prove it!!
Nigel

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We did the 11 day trip in Feb 2015,we chose to go on their oldest vessel the Vesteralen because it was their smallest with 300 berths and and had a brilliant time.Some of the larger ones go up to over 800 berths.Alcohol is very expensive on board so we went to the Norwegian equivalent of our off licence 'Vinmonopolet' in Alesund one of the first stopsšŸ‘
saw the Northern lights twice!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Anyone looking for a cheap booze-cruise should give this one a miss.
You do not always get long before the boat drops its mail and is on route to the next drop----' it IS a mail boat!!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We would certainly use it as part of our planned long trip round Europe which would be Poland-Sweden-Norway-Scotland-Ireland-Spain-Portugal-Spain -Andorra-France-Italy-Greece. Stop, then think again.

If we are ever free from family(and Covid) to do it.

Geoff

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Three years old but this crops up most years, particularly when one particular member of the SNP is campaigning for votes. Be good if it happens though, I'd rather drive to Scotland on familiar, if busy, roads to get to Scandinavia instead of the long haul through Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back