Tour Guide Wanted Norway hopefully (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Is anyone planning a trip abroad next year Norway, Switzerland etc or basically anywhere and wouldn't mind another couple tagging along, never been out of the UK with our van, would love to do Europe with it but rather nervous about going it alone, we are Very flexible with dates,

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just a idea but why don't you join in at one of the Fun rallys and talk to fellow Funsters about travelling and Motorhomes in general to give you some extra confidence and ideas..

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Just a idea but why don't you join in at one of the Fun rallys and talk to fellow Funsters about travelling and Motorhomes in general to give you some extra confidence and ideas..

Good idea Carol and even build up a rapport with someone who is going to travel.
Funsters don’t normally bite but there are exceptions of course 😜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Will look to do that folks thanks for the advice, was looking to hopefully tag along behind someone for a week two at the most till I gained a bit of confidence then head of on our own, but will check out the rallies like you said.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just go for it, maybe you are overthinking it.
Europe is very easy, cut your teeth on France for a week or two.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
You’re worrying about nothing! Europe is fantastically equipped for motorhome travelling. It puts the UK to shame. Just go for it because you’ll be fine.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Oh and I may see you in Norway because I’m off on a 6 week trip next year but on my bike instead. (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Is anyone planning a trip abroad next year Norway, Switzerland etc or basically anywhere and wouldn't mind another couple tagging along, never been out of the UK with our van, would love to do Europe with it but rather nervous about going it alone, we are Very flexible with dates,
We will be going over to France just before Easter in our motorhome, but only going as far as the Vendee to our static caravan. we usually make at least one stop but prefer to make two stops on the way at free stopovers. we like to get a late afternoon train and travel an hour or so in France on the first evening, then a few more hours the next day before stopping over, so that we arrive at our static around midday.

You're more than welcome to tag along and on the third night you would be able to stay at the site we are on (not free though) to give you chance to gather your thoughts, before you set off again. we can point you to a couple of other places to stay over for free that we have used, that arent remote out of the way locations, when you set off on your own ! As we will be staying on site for a couple of weeks, you've always got some back up should you need it - along with basic tools should you need to repair/replace something. quite often its not the repairing, but being able to just nip out for something mid repair, if your only vehicle is immobilised due to the repair, it makes it difficult !

There are far more experienced travellers than us and we certainly dont claim to know the best places to stop over, but where we go suits us !

As Shrimp says, France is a great and easy place to start the learning process !

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Oh and do you know there’s a new ferry service starting up very shortly going from North Holland straight to Hirtsals in Norway. (y)
You can get off the Harwich to Hook overnight ferry, drive the 180 miles to the next overnight ferry and wake up in Norway the next morning! Perfect. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's the UK that is hard to travel with a Motorhome, awful roads, nowhere to stop in towns very difficult to find somewhere to park for the night, it's horrible, I hate using our van in the UK.

Different world abroad, roads far better, less traffic, easy to stop in or near towns & villages, loads of places to stop for the night complete with servicing loads of them free.
France is Motorhome heaven and probably the best place to start.

For a lot of my trips there are links in my signature.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Oh and do you know there’s a new ferry service starting up very shortly going from North Holland straight to Hirtsals in Norway. (y)
You can get off the Harwich to Hook overnight ferry, drive the 180 miles to the next overnight ferry and wake up in Norway the next morning! Perfect. (y)
Going to Kristiansand in Norway, Hirtshals is across the water in Denmark.

I did a trial booking but it's expensive in a motorhome. The route through northern Holland, Germany and Denmark to Hirtshals or Sweden via the Oresundbron is all part of the holiday in a motorhome unless you want to get to Norway toute de suite. By road you have to factor in the cost of the diesel plus the crossing to Kristiansand if going via Hirtshals too so maybe not so expensive in comparison.

As part of a campaign group we have asked this company if they would consider a crossing to the UK as part of that route as there is time in the schedule, we await their reply.

Incidentally there is another very similar route proposed, although no detail on start up time, which is Gothenburg, Kristiansand, Eemshaven.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I was about to add that last time I was in Hirtsals it was on the northern tip of Denmark! Shame the new route is expensive. The Newcastle/ Bergen/ Kristiansand was a good route back in the day

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I was about to add that last time I was in Hirtsals it was on the northern tip of Denmark! Shame the new route is expensive. The Newcastle/ Bergen/ Kristiansand was a good route back in the day
Yes, sorry, I meant Kristiansand! :smiley:
If you take into account of the fact it’s 1600 miles from the Hook up to the top of Denmark and back that’s a lot of fuel, tyre wear and over night stops you won’t have.
I priced up a return trip with my bike and it was €420. That’s with a single outside cabin both ways.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Norway is slightly more complex to cut your teeth on. As others have suggested France would be an easier choice to gain the knowledge and confidence - but wherever it’s not really that difficult.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We went to Norway on a tour with GBmotorhomes a few years back. It was brilliant but Norway is very expensive. This was before Brexit was finalised so we took a lot of food as did everyone else on the tour. Obviously you can’t do that now. That’s even before you think about alcohol. I don’t drink so Nick had my allowance!

I’m not trying to put you off but the roads can be very narrow in places, easy for us in a PVC, the tolls on all the little ferries can really add up as well if you’re on a budget, really leaps up as your length increases(West coast mainly).

Really low speed limits everywhere.

I’d cut your teeth on France and Spain where it’s a joy to drive. Lots of Aires. We weren’t brave enough to use them for years I must admit and always used campsites. We used to like the Municipal sites, lots of these cheap and cheerful ones have been taken over by other schemes. Out of season we use ACSI. So many choices, mix and match. Can’t wait for a trip next year, maybe May/June.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We have just booked hirstals to kristiansands. 27th June I think. Don't know when you are planning on going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back