Norway fishing (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Off to Scandinavia again in the Spring and this time, despite our weight and length, we'll give Norway a go. Reading other Funsters accounts it seems as if they have had some success beach/fishing off rocks and piers. Now, I really fancy this but apart from a spot of mackerel fishing in Torbay many years ago and one cod on a boat off Copenhagen, I really don't have a clue. I know it's possible to spend an absolute fortune on what might turn out to be a bit of a whim. I would welcome advice on basic general purpose tackle. For example, what about this stuff from Aldi?

Broken Link Removed

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Looks OK for starters, it's the end tacke that counts.... As long as the rod and reel gets your bait where you want it will catch, if the fish are there..!

It's cheep enough that if it gets damaged or you don't like fishing again you haven't lost much.....(y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Can't help with fishing but what do you mean by "despite weight and length giving Norway a go"? It's a country we haven't visited yet but would like to but have a 28ft 7tonne RV?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best place for fishing in Norway which makes it the best place in Europe and amongst the top places in the world for fishing is Senja. Hire a boat and catch some of the biggest Cod and Halibut.
This is one of the best fish camps http://www.flakstadvaag-camp.no/eng_index.html
img025.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Good idea to catch your own food in Norway, we went in 2008 and fish and chips in Bergen were £10 each. Great place to go with a motor home though.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
you need some dynamite ,best fishing ive ever done was in the North sea when we were blowing up old well heads,just went round in the rubber dinghy after the bang and netted the stunned fish ,much more effective than using bait(y)

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Can't help with fishing but what do you mean by "despite weight and length giving Norway a go"? It's a country we haven't visited yet but would like to but have a 28ft 7tonne RV?

There are quite a lot of toll roads, bridges, tunnels and ferries to negotiate in Norway (Sweden and Denmark, too for that matter). Being over 6m length/3.5t seriously multiplies the cost. Mind you, Norway does stop charging once the infrastructure is paid for, I understand.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Looks OK for starters, it's the end tacke that counts.... As long as the rod and reel gets your bait where you want it will catch, if the fish are there..!

It's cheep enough that if it gets damaged or you don't like fishing again you haven't lost much.....(y)

Pretty much what I was thinking. If it all goes ok I may invest more. Just hoping for some free grub in an expensive country!

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
you need some dynamite ,best fishing ive ever done was in the North sea when we were blowing up old well heads,just went round in the rubber dinghy after the bang and netted the stunned fish ,much more effective than using bait(y)
Now you're talking. Never give a sucker an even break(y)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
To keep the cost down when getting there (Northern Norway) travel up through center of Sweden all the way to the top of Sweden to Kirena on the E10 and into Norway at Narvik as no tolls or ferries once inSweden on national roads and great run up with loads of overnight spots to wild camp all the way. Tight lines Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It depends on how you like to fish really .................. I get bored ledger fishing so I prefer to spin, it keeps me out of trouble, no bait issues and I don't get bored!

We were there in May/June 2014 and this was towards the end of the Cod season and the beginning of the Mackerel. We caught plenty of both from the ferry piers and road bridges.

We are still only beginners so @Snowbird is yer man for the best advice I would think.

You could do worse than have a look here for equipment

Enjoy Norway, we still think it is the BEST place :D:D:D

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
It depends on how you like to fish really .................. I get bored ledger fishing so I prefer to spin, it keeps me out of trouble, no bait issues and I don't get bored!

We were there in May/June 2014 and this was towards the end of the Cod season and the beginning of the Mackerel. We caught plenty of both from the ferry piers and road bridges.

We are still only beginners so @Snowbird is yer man for the best advice I would think.

You could do worse than have a look here for equipment

Enjoy Norway, we still think it is the BEST place :D:D:D
I really am an utter beginner. I will read up as much as I can before going but expect to have mixed results. The tackle website link looks very handy but, as I said in my op, I really don't want to invest a fortune before trying it out. If the Aldi tackle does a turn it may inspire me for the future.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you want inspirational fishing, buy a good quality second hand boat rod and once in Norway buy a couple of Norwegian perks, no bait required. Hire a boat for a day, or better still see if you can share a boat hire with someone else. Before you go, build up the arm muscles, you will need em.
Another good sport fishing in Norway, is using light spinning tackle from any jetty. Mackerel give as good a fight as trout on light tackle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back