Norway customs.....beer and wine. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We are currently in the Nederlands but heading for Norway. Have been intending to take the Frederikshavn-Oslo ferry but now getting twitchy about customs checks on beer and wine. Does anyone have any recent experience of travelling this way? Might it be better to choose a land crossing from Sweden? I have heard that, in the past, they have been more interested in returning Norwegian nationals but maybe all motorhomes now? Any advice from Funsters? :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I once thought about emptying my fresh water tanks and filling it with Vodka in Spain. :)
Maybe that's a way to get a bit more in with you..

IMAGINE.. A kitchen tap that gives out lager.. (y)

Sorry I dont have a serious answer but sure someone will be on to advise,, I have also heard they are strict..

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Spoke to a Norwegian couple in Spain this year, they said that their motorhome was x-rayed whenever they returned home!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I cannot see anything appertaining to visitors as such..
You may bring a duty free alcohol and tobacco quota when you have been abroad.

This indicates a Norwegian national returning home.
Unless you have a drinks cabinet more than usually well stocked I doubt very much they would be interested.
Equally, if spirits bottles are opened they def would not be interested in them

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

Unless you have a drinks cabinet more than usually well stocked I doubt very much they would be interested.
@Lenny HB 's link showed travelers could declare & pay duty on a set amount above the Duty Free limits - eg NOK20 (about £1.80?) per litre of beer for up to 27 litres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I once thought about emptying my fresh water tanks and filling it with Vodka in Spain. :)

Sorry I dont have a serious answer but sure someone will be on to advise,, I have also heard they are strict..
FiL was in Andorra last year or year before and they (eastern europeans) were actually filling their tanks up with Vodka.
Other nefarious itinerants were drilling 2 holes where the water tank was in the middle of the night (one to allow air in) and emptying the vodka into their awaiting vats !

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks for the replies, so far. It is fair to say that I am aware of the customs allowances. I have the app. I was thinking more along the lines of the ' Morocco approach'! @SteveandSue seem to advise caution. Anyone have anything to add? I could end up drinking rather too much in Denmark to reduce stocks! :D

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've almost decided that we're just taking two 5 litre boxes of red and will only drink at weekends or with a meal that just has to be eaten with wine.

When we flew into Bergen airport a year ago we didn't have any checks whatsoever, not even passports. We had four bottles of wine for our friends and we could have had more!

But motorhomes ... not sure whether it's worth risking. Will wait until someone going earlier than us reports back.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Bottom right on link " tourist" Appears to be less than a national.:D2

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just so you know of you go via road from Sweden you might still get stopped, on our way to Norway the carriageway was diverted off and through a custom check just like the airport. Something to declare and nothing to declare lanes. We went through the nothing and got stopped by a lovely looking 6ft blonde Norwegian police officer. I convinced her our bottles of Buckfast was Soda. :) she asked where we where going and just let us go.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Im not surprised they are strict on imports.
On Shirls winter trip to Norway she paid the equivelent of £36 in a cafe/restaurant for a bottle of red plonk available in Sainsbury (uk) for around a fiver.
Supermarkets and convenience stores cannot sell booze, only official booze shops according to her.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Im not surprised they are strict on imports.
On Shirls winter trip to Norway she paid the equivelent of £36 in a cafe/restaurant for a bottle of red plonk available in Sainsbury (uk) for around a fiver.
Supermarkets and convenience stores cannot sell booze, only official booze shops according to her.
That's correct, same true in Sweden. You can only buy from government stores systembolaget. Opening hours quite limited and take your passport.
In my view best to take just what you can with you and then give your liver a nice holiday too!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That's correct, same true in Sweden. You can only buy from government stores systembolaget. Opening hours quite limited and take your passport.
In my view best to take just what you can with you and then give your liver a nice holiday too!

That's our plan. We're already practicing living without wine!

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Just wondering if you got stopped at the border tony_g? We are thinking of changing our plans to head to Norway this summer.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Yes Norway is in the EEA but has Customs Posts because EU Freedom of Goods passage appears not to apply and they do have customs checks. We crossed into Norway from sSeeden north of Stromstadt. We prepaid duty on line on our beer (but forgot to own up to the wine boxes). We went through the green channel and had a nice chat about our trip but they were not interested in what we were carrying and did not want to see receipt or even ask us about anything at all!

Norway started out very cold and grey but have now arrived on the West Coast (parked up onthe Atlantic Road) and the weather today had been glorious.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't fancy Norway much:(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Told to me by a Norwegian colleague.

Two friends in a bar in Oslo:

"Do you want another beer?"
"I thought we were drinking, not talking."

In the past there has been a serious alcohol problem in Norway, Norwegians were either sober or drunk, nothing in between. I don't know what it is like now though.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've just had relations from Kristiansund and Smola. On a trip round the Norfolk coast we had a drink in a pub and when the old man (88) asked for a Martell the barman said "does he want anything in it?" "Yes, came the reply, another one". Bought a bottle in Tesco's later, on offer for £20, he said that'd be around £60 in Norway. :eek:

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
Not strictly motorhome related but a friend of mine who worked on the Norweigian oil rigs used to take wine boxes wrapped up in gift wrap. Apparently the Customs staff were never interested in checking 'presents'.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

In the past there has been a serious alcohol problem in Norway, Norwegians were either sober or drunk, nothing in between. I don't know what it is like now though.

Are you sure this isn't a Finnish joke or maybe Pocklington?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

I prefer red now I fixed the tap
winesink.jpg

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We tried to think of ingenious ways of disguising wine bags and I think we came up with some good ideas.

Then ... we were really disgusted with ourselves that we couldn't go two months without alcohol every day so we're taking the allowance for two people.

We'll still have a good trip - won't we??? :(:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back