Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Would love to round off our celebratory year by observing Aurora Borealis, possibly from Tromso region which has been recommended by a Norwegian we met in Malaga.
Basic plan is to fly Tromso via Oslo as no direct flights available from our local airport in Malaga. Will be there around New Year time for about a week and would appreciate any advice from members, particularly those based in Scandinavia.
How cold is it going to be?
No intention ski, so what clothing will be best? etc.,etc.

Regards, Bryan

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We looked at doing a similar thing but if you search the net the chances of seeing the aurora on a weekend or even a week are fairly slim so best to think of it as a week away with the aurora as a possible bonus.

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
Would love to round off our celebratory year by observing Aurora Borealis, possibly from Tromso region which has been recommended by a Norwegian we met in Malaga.
Basic plan is to fly Tromso via Oslo as no direct flights available from our local airport in Malaga. Will be there around New Year time for about a week and would appreciate any advice from members, particularly those based in Scandinavia.

Regards, Bryan

Hei Bryan,

Just seen Your post, ( i am

Regards, Bryan

Hei Bryan,

Just seen your post,the weather is about from -16 to - 20 at xmas time,,bring wool clothes and long johns,wool will keep you warm even when wet,hope you enjoy,

Kris

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Mmmmmmm, that is coooooold, nearby Morocco beginning to look more attractive ;)
Many thanks, Kris

regards, Bryan

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Bryan, just had a butchers at your blog........ we loved Cabra too. We cycled the Via Verde from the Aire through the hills and olive groves.......wonderful:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sydvesten

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Norway
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since 2014
Since I'm born and raised in the northern part of Norway, a bit east of Tromsø I’m quite familiar with the climate.

To see the Aurora Borealis (Northern light) is possible during the hole winter, but it depend on the weather. Clear sky is needed.. To have this guarantee in Norway is not possible at all. If it’s cold it is more likely to see the Aurora Borealis. But within a week or so it should be possible to at least have one night where it’s possible to see it.. After 7pm and up to midnight is best chance.

There is a Norwegian weather forecast internet page that provide Northern light forecast Only in Norwegian. If it is reliable, well I don’t know. http://www.storm.no/nordlys/

Cold?. Well that may vary a lot from day to day, even from hour to hour. If the weather I s clear, good northern light whether it will be cold. If it’s cloudy and snow it will be warmer, but you will not see the northern light .

What is cold then? In Tromsø City/Airport I don’t think will be colder than -10°C. Most likely less since it’s close to the sea, but it can be wind in addition that makes it feel colder. If you travel away for the cost/sea the temperature may drop even further. But the air is less humid, so it doesn’t feel too cold.

Clothes, bring normal god winter clothes, a thin layers of wool inside, fleece or something else as mid layer, and a winter jacket and trousers or winter suit.. All depend if you plase to stay outside for a long time, or not.

They arrange organized trip to see the northern light for Tromsø, and they know exactly where to go have best view. They also have descent clothes for the trip, so you don’t have to bother with that.

It’s also more or less complete darkness , 24 hour a day, the sun is always below the horizon from end November to mid-January.

Direct flight from Oslo to Tromsø almost every second hour, 1h 45min flight time

Just let me know if I should do some research for you.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We,ve now booked to do the same thing in March know its not such good odds of the aurora but partial eclipse at the same time and the bosses birthday.

David

Sydvesten

Free Member
Oct 2, 2014
Norway
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since 2014
March can be fine to see the Nothern light, if it's cold and clear sky you may see it. To plan for Nothern light in December or any other month is as difficult as to plan for a outdoor barbeque party without rain some months in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This company used to fly a regular service for a few years. :)

ju52s.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back