LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Whilst in Norway I had a vague notion about seeing an Accordion band that we’d seen in the Faroes in 1999. Lindesnes Trekkspillklubb who are based in Mandal in southern Norway. Now their music won’t appeal to most but they do a great show of popular local and international music coupled with many funny sketches involving pantomime cows and dances with full sized rag dolls, yeh I know! :rolleyes:

Finding them on Facebook I contacted an admin, Kiem Loland, and asked about a 4 day trip this weekend that was being promoted by Risdal Touring which included hotel accommodation, a tour of Lindesnes Lighthouse which at 1656 is the oldest and the most southerly tip of Norway, and a Saturday night show.

After a chat about the Faroes tour and us buying videos and cd’s from their website in 1999 and sending their leader, Rolf Atti Eikas, cash in US dollars Kim invited us to join the Lighthouse tour on the Friday morning and the Saturday show at the hotel. Contacting her again yesterday after doing a recce of the hotel and parking possibilities she spoke to Rolf, who is still the main man, and he said we could park at the hotel with those band members who will come in their bobils, Norwegian motorhomes. He also said we could come to the dance on the Friday evening which we knew nothing about.

Kin has messaged me a few minutes ago to tell me to ask for Olav Risdal the owner of the bus company at the hotel and tell him we’re invited on the tour and that we’d meet up with our hosts in Vigeland where the tour starts.

Now they won’t get anything from us apart from the odd music or tee shirt souvenir we may buy but this has made me feel even more impressed with a wonderful country

Norwegian hospitality at its best.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I do agree about the hospitality part. It seems to be the way of life in Norway.

Accordian music brings back a lot of childhood memories for me. So I'm definately not in the category "most." :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Every village dance in my youth seemed to consist of an accordian and a snare drum !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We're on the Kristiansand to Hirtshals ferry tonight after a good if embarrassing weekend. On Friday we ended up following the 3 coaches in the motorhome as it was too warm to leave the dog alone and, after entertainment in the town centre in Vigeland, we moved on to the lighthouse where we had lunch in hot sunshine on the terraces followed by more entertainment from the band. Unfortunately Kiem, who spent a lot of time with us, heard me whistling along and, saying how good it sounded, promptly went up and spoke to Rolf and before I knew it I had a mike shoved in my face and was whistling along to "Open up them Pearly Gates". Don't know about gates, I was wishing the floor would open up. Two or three other numbers followed before I could escape. We kept a discreet distance at the dance the same night, at £18 for beer and a G&T I should have kept my distance from the bar. Saturday night was an open air open to all show in front of even more guests and went on until nearly midnight. Once again "the Englishman who whistles" was called to the stage and almost forced after slow handclapping encouragement from the audience. I'm afraid I dried up a bit and only frequent sips of beer got me through a torrid ten minutes. We're not home yet but it was a fitting finale to a holiday we won't forget.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
No working men's in Norway :) I gave in once in Oslo hard rock cafe were blasting out some great music ,3x rounds of guinness and Lager later I was down £54 but worth it .:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back