LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Rockingham , another white Elephant of mammoth proportions.

Well at least that was just a no chance idea ( yank racing in England !) but as far as I know not crooked.

I wonder, has there ever been a UK circuit built from scratch as a race circuit ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would you buy a Triumph,

Why not. They are seriously good bikes now.

A bit different at the start as they copied a load of Jap designs a little bit badly. "Oh no they didn't" I hear from the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Would you buy a Triumph,
My son's a Triumph fan, he's just bought his second one..
Tom's Bike.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Maybe sad, maybe not, as long as the brand survives and is designed here in the UK, the figures speak for themselves I guess.
Example of a commercial success these days?With strong plans for more new bikes each year & stronger market placement world wide.
Triumph in numbers
  • 65,000 – bikes built per year
  • 6500 – bikes built in the UK
  • 1991 – the year first Hinckey Triumphs revealed
  • 1983 – collapsed business bought by John Bloor
  • 1902 – firm builds its first motorcycle
  • 1000 – UK employees
  • 1000 – overseas employees
  • 650 – global dealers
  • 85 – the percentage of Triumphs sold abroad
  • 3 – factories in Thailand
LES (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Having read this sad thread, it raised a question to me, how are Triumph Motor bikes doing these days?, so I checked it out and its still British owned (chap called Booth or sommink)
Ok, so we have to accept that only way to survive may be to farm out (diversify) some production to the Far East, but its worked out. The Brand is still very much liked, and the sales figures increase year on year.
Now I am not a purist by any means, but if they can produce something that looks good and works to enable it to sell, then it cant be all bad cant it?
I fancied a Triumph Thruxton, (Cafe Racer, based on a Bonneville) I like the look of it, even the sound of it, I even liked the You Tube video reviews, but you guys will know more than me, as its years since I rode a big bike.
Would you buy a Triumph, even as a second bike, for a bit of nostalgia, maybe you already have one?
LES

Triumph are owned by John Bloor, he owns Bloor Homes and is a billionaire hence why he invested his own money when he bought triumph as against the Norton chap who borrowed the money to buy the name and then seems fiddled the pension funds until he got sussed out!!

Use to do the civils on Bloor Homes about 15 years ago and they were about the best housing firm I have worked for on payments, never had to chase.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Well at least that was just a no chance idea ( yank racing in England !) but as far as I know not crooked.

I wonder, has there ever been a UK circuit built from scratch as a race circuit ?
Cadwell Park, built just after the war to give somewhere for the returning soldiers to go. Originally thought of being 10 miles long as a rival to the Nurburgring it was deemed as being too fanciful so was built in it's current configuration. Three weeks before the first race was due it wasn't finished but tbey managex it in time including two bridges. The surface was stone chippings and cost £1000. Alan Jefferies was the first rider to test it on a 350. Today the record average speed for the track which has three hairpin bends, a chicane and a steep uphill section is just under 90mph.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I own a Triumph and have had several. They have had their issues like any other brand but good bikes though

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Cadwell Park, built just after the war to give somewhere for the returning soldiers to go. Originally thought of being 10 miles long as a rival to the Nurburgring it was deemed as being too fanciful so was built in it's current configuration. Three weeks before the first race was due it wasn't finished but tbey managex it in time including two bridges. The surface was stone chippings and cost £1000. Alan Jefferies was the first rider to test it on a 350. Today the record average speed for the track which has three hairpin bends, a chicane and a steep uphill section is just under 90mph.
One of the nicest places in the country to ride on a good day, and the worst on a bad one.. and God is it narrow.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You should have seen it before it was widened to make it suitable for international status.
First visit there was in 1970.. went round in a van and struggled with the concept of nearly going on the grass on both sides at the same time.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I no nothing of what has happened to Norton, but, if there are allegations that Garner used pension funds to prop the company up then the trustees will have to provide answers and the Pensions Reguiator should investigate and if required force his hand to return monies.
i think though that once matters start to open up you will find he has no assets to sell but his wife and family have. Is he a kWrong un’ or just another motor industry spiv?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Just one who got caught. There are plenty of folk in business who suddenly have 'no assets' when things get tight. Often accompanied by an unexplained warehouse/tyre dump/pallet store fire before setting up again in an unrelated business.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I no nothing of what has happened to Norton, but, if there are allegations that Garner used pension funds to prop the company up then the trustees will have to provide answers and the Pensions Reguiator should investigate and if required force his hand to return monies.
i think though that once matters start to open up you will find he has no assets to sell but his wife and family have. Is he a kWrong un’ or just another motor industry spiv?

The problem is that Garner was also the Pensions Trustee! He was supposed to attend a meeting with the Pensions Regulators but chose not to attend.

Ian

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The rights to the 961 Commando engine were sold to the Chinese, Jinlang I think, just before the ‘surprise’ collapse so there will have to be some deal between the Indian company and China to produce another Commando.

Yes. There's a video on YouTube saying it was more than just the 961, it included the 650s.

No provision for the pension fund.

I do hope they nail the b&^%%$£d.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Lets hope they pursue the money and any assets as 'profit from crime', that should include gifts to his family.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back