Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
Planning to go to Northumberland last 2 weeks of June. Don't want to book and don't need ehu.
Any advice on what to see or more importantly what not to miss.
Any suggestions on good sites or cl's.

Deleted User
Depending upon what you prefer to do there are plenty of choices.
Cragside National Trust property in Rothbury is worth a visit. You also have several Roman forts and museum and of course the roman wall. Coastal wise you have many places of interest such as Holy Island which in my opinion is a must visit (check tide tables before crossing), also Bamburgh castle, Dunstanburgh, Farne Islands.
Plenty of coastal walks, in fact quire a lot to see.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agree - Cragside is a must, as is Farne Islands.
I was more than happy with the C&CC site at Dunstan Hill, nice walks to the beach, village of Craster. Bus service outside gates to Alnwick, a lovely little town & castle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Almost anywhere on the coast from Tyneside to Edinburgh as well as al the places already mentioned. Seahouses for fish and chips, boat trips to the Farne Islands, pleasant enough campsite there too.

If you need a break from the "scenery" Newcastle itself is worth a visit, also Metrocentre for it's shopping and entertainment.

To be totally honest I sometimes wonder why we bother to travel thousands of miles to get away from home!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't go! Too many people going now. Don't spoil it!! And whatever you do don't stand on the little hill in Alnwick Park next to the Robert Adam tower because I fear you will see 8 castles from there...

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Last time we stayed at the Dunstan site, the wardens organised us a free lift and back to a local restaurant. The THS at Beadnell is also worth booking in for.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If at Beadnell, there's a lovely walk along the coast (Southward) to Low Newton by the Sea, which is a National Trust village with a few cottages, a few boats and a good pub. (y):drink:

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Too many places to visit you will need to go more than once, if you need any translation get in touch more than happy to convert into something you will understand ENJOY

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
June is a good time to visit The Farne islands. Puffins are nesting. Catch Billy Shields boat from Seahouses. Check because not all boats can land there. The Farne Isles are National Trust.
Also Alnwick Gardens, Castle, and maybe the tree House restaurant. Walkworth Castle.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You have plenty of pointers above but nobody said the crab sandwiches at the pub on the front at Craster are a MUST - not cheap but full of crab.

And there is a fish stall just back off the road behind, up a sort of alley.

Alnwick was a bit of a disappointment as in 'my day' it was full of 'Huntin', shootin' and fishing shops but is now Boots, Smiths and the usual tat - changed from one type of 'bore' to another.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Seaton Sluice for fish & chips, nowhere else comes close.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You have plenty of pointers above but nobody said the crab sandwiches at the pub on the front at Craster are a MUST - not cheap but full of crab.

And there is a fish stall just back off the road behind, up a sort of alley.

Alnwick was a bit of a disappointment as in 'my day' it was full of 'Huntin', shootin' and fishing shops but is now Boots, Smiths and the usual tat - changed from one type of 'bore' to another.

Craster for the kippers, also Dunstanburgh Castle. Care, don't drive into the village, use the carpark, which however can get a bit tight when it's busy.

Alnwick for the castle and also the gardens, which are worth half a day to themselves.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want a cheap as chips field with a tap and a dump point I can recommend Snitter Farm cl/cs, it is just outside Rothbury and has good off road cycle route to Cragside house.

P1080600.jpg

P1080612.jpg

It is a lovely wild spot.

Martin

PS you can park a motorhome at Cragside in the car park for the gardens (or you could a few years ago)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back