Free Member
Mar 9, 2011
scotland
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
8 years
Hello all. We are heading to Santiago de Compostella and then planning to meander across northern Spain to Andorra and cross into SW France. Any advice welcome. Thanks, Doug.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just follow the sea . if you have a road between you and the sea ,you are on the wrong road.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As Alan says though if you want to get to Santiago quickly the motorway along the north coast is an epic piece of engineering.

But if you are going all that way why not explore Galicia. You can find our account of the area in the "Two Go back.." thread here.

We deliberately missed out Santiago as it sounded too touristy and Andorra has been described to me in the most unflattering terms but no doubt you have a reason for going! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the bridges on that northern route and the cutting of mountains etc is amazing if you use the auto route .
i have been going there even before it was started and watched it go along .
absolutely amazing .
mind there are several high bridges on the med motorway routes as well.
plus spain has some really long tunnels . all an adventure .
we prefer the old routes where their magic reflective tape can stop truck and cars going over the steep drops on some very sharp corners .
must be magic tape as in uk we have to have crash barriers , my lad is now 36 he still remembers the tape when he was a kid . our last trip he remarked its not only magic it lasts along time . looks like the same tape . ha ha .

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We are currently heading eastwards after arriving back into Spain via Vigo, Finisterre etc. done the Galician coast - fab - and now in Gijon on a lovely freebie aire overlooking the bay. Wow!
Weather has'nt been great but the scenery, food and people have made it all worthwhile.

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hug the coast . but if in a long vehicle be careful mafter ribadesella it gets a bit tight once you get to naves its ok. we love san vicente de barquara . park by beach in day . but stop over night in layby,s either side of town on the n634 there are a few . but they overlook the eastuary great views . on the east side use the big one with tables and benches waiting for you . the west side they are up above the galp garage . water by the fish port on way in on west side . or on seafront carpark in town . by bus depot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
hug the coast . but if in a long vehicle be careful mafter ribadesella it gets a bit tight once you get to naves its ok. we love san vicente de barquara . park by beach in day . but stop over night in layby,s either side of town on the n634 there are a few . but they overlook the eastuary great views . on the east side use the big one with tables and benches waiting for you . the west side they are up above the galp garage . water by the fish port on way in on west side . or on seafront carpark in town . by bus depot.

Thanks. May have to stick to mainish roads at least to Santander as although not exceptionally long, we are carrying a motorbike on a rack and it is proving highly unsatisfactory on steepish hills. (Its rear-wheel drive vehicles from now on for us when we come to exchange!)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
remember i travel in a 33ft mini artic so i usually think most m,homes will get where i go.
seriously the normal n roads are good . there s a dinasour coast along there as well , at playa de meron to the west of arguero there are foot prints in the rocks .but have fun and enjoy the drive . look out for san vicente though its a lovely town , nice beach to the east of river i,m sure you will enjoy it . really lovely with the tide in yet quite nice when tide out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back