mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
What a result.Brilliant news,easier to find water and stopping places now.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
What a result.Brilliant news,easier to find water and stopping places now.
Stopped at a site in Finland as needed to empty black and grey - couldn't find anyone around so just got on with it - no one turned up so I just carried on to here.

Tipping it down but cosy enough for sure! Broke open a bottle of wine, downed some beans on toast and everything is right with the world.

Sunnyb

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 2012
Thoroughly enjoying following your trials and tribulations . Hope it comes good for you and you get the sighting your looking for. Sorry to hear about your wing mirror ... but enjoy your evening

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
A lorry driver kindly (!) knocked my passenger mirror with hi - not sure whether one or both of us was at fault - either way, cracked the casing but thankfully the mirror is fine and the electric still working on it. Would have been a blow to lose that mirror.
We had a tipper driver clout ours in Germany, what a noise it made, couldn’t believe our luck, no damage, like you say would make it hard work without a mirror, glad your enjoying it👍🍷

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Great trip 👍

Can I ask those that know about the Northern Lights.

Do you get to see all the swirling greens etc with the naked eye.

When we were in Iceland we went on a lights excursion and was told where they were.
All I saw was some whisppy cloud that didn’t look green to me 🤷‍♂️

You do. The displays that I have seen were absolutely amazing; like flames🔥 flickering across the sky. While they are commonly known as the Northern Lights, where I’m from they’re known, with good reason, as The Merry Dancers.

Ian

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes thats what we found at first,just clouds moving around quickly to start then brightening.
I think the darker the sky the more you can see the colours.Only what I think.We could see greens and reds in a dark sky site but when the full moon was up a week later they were faded.

Thanks for that.

I have to say I was a little underwhelmed but SWMBO was happy so all good 😊

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Thoroughly enjoying following your trials and tribulations . Hope it comes good for you and you get the sighting your looking for. Sorry to hear about your wing mirror ... but enjoy your evening
I always carry spare mirror glass and plenty of tape ?

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Life can be very awkward in euro land without mirror glass !

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
As you are now coming south through Norway ---- have you considered the Atlantic coastal highway???? It looks stunning on pictures!!!-- but wasn't there when we last travelled that part of Norway!!!! I imagine the road tolls will be very stiff though!!?? Again there were no road tolls when we were down that way!!-----just one of the reasons on our recent trips there we travelled through Sweden to get to North Norway!!
We have been north in Scandinavia several times and Alaska and not yet ever seen the Northern Lights so it's not guaranteed!!!!!!!
Have you found the chain of gas outlets in Norway most self service and very cheap!! I can't remember the name😥------- good reading of your trip--- carry on enjoying it!!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Depending on your time scales, if you are patient and have plenty of time come south through Norway, otherwise drive south through Sweden. The Norwegians travel through Sweden to get north and south of Norway.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can’t believe you are on your own ceejayt.

My Mrs would have been co-piloting in a heartbeat
Mine would have blown her brains out with all the driving - when we come back together, which I am sure we will, we will take at least u to ten weeks. This has been a great 'reccy' for me and got me away from Covid house arrest before I blew my own brains out :LOL:

It's not as much fun either travelling with the virus - don';t feel you can just stop off and pop into that coffee shop or have a gander at the local museum. Let's hope we get an effective vaccine soon!

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve been thrilled following your travels & quest - on my bucket list as well! What a trip! Fingers crossed you achieve your goal 🤞

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
It has to come to a happy ending surely. You have to see them. Those pics are beautifully grim.
If we were to ever go i think it would be in the height of summer.
Loving the reports.

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Bravo Ceejay! That's brilliant, got everything crossed that you successfully see them.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Mine would have blown her brains out with all the driving - when we come back together, which I am sure we will, we will take at least u to ten weeks. This has been a great 'reccy' for me and got me away from Covid house arrest before I blew my own brains out :LOL:

It's not as much fun either travelling with the virus - don';t feel you can just stop off and pop into that coffee shop or have a gander at the local museum. Let's hope we get an effective vaccine soon!
If you break a leg, send me a PM. I’ll drive back

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Set off for Narvik this morning and opted for the slow and pretty route along the coast - takes a lot longer as more like driving in Scotland with passing places but not always quite as narrow. The road is the E854 which eventually after something like 75Km rejoins the E6 main road. My goodness the scenery - I stoped a lot along the way and have selected a few to give you an idea.

Here is the track from the InReach - you can see how it follows the waters edge and a couple of very long tunnels along the way.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 17.18.39.png

The Inreach updates every 10 minutes so obviously not the exact route but gives you an idea.

Photos follow in next post

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Life can be very awkward in euro land without mirror glass !
Can be very awkward in uk. And of course illegal if you don't have 2 mirrors.Think one can be inside.BUSBY.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had our sightings while on the Lofotens, started at a little aire near the airport, then continued nightly for a week while we travelled round the islands

I think you only need KP2 up there for a decent show, we saw dancing curtains right through to red with naked eye. easily visible 😁

our very first sighting was more wispy cloud like, I saw green but Bev only saw white, next day both saw green and it just carried on getting better but we did have KP7 a couple nights

hope you get lucky 👍

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Same here,,in France at the moment and its not the same because of Covid.Since march 23rd we have not been in a cafe,pub or restaurant..We have only in that time met up with 9 members of our family or friends..The better half is still talking to me though.Did meet a couple of Funsters who bought a couple of things off me..SD of course..BUSBY.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I did notice on your most recent route map that you looked to be travelling from A at the end of the Lofotens by ferry, best to check the timetables I don’t think it runs this late in the year 👍

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I did notice on your most recent route map that you looked to be travelling from A at the end of the Lofotens by ferry, best to check the timetables I don’t think it runs this late in the year 👍
Did look at the website the other day - seem to be two sailings 7am and 11pm so I think I am okay but will double check following your post.

The KP Index shows 4 for tomorrow and the following day so fingers crossed!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Wow. Great photos. Autumn comes early up there then. I have shifted a trip similar up the "Must do" list.

KP...?????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back