LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, all good things must come to an end. I am at Dusseldorf and tomorrow I will hoof it back home. I will post a summary of the trip, stops, miles, costs etc over the next few days.

Thanks for watching and here is a barge coming down the Rhine...

tempImageEuACad.jpg

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just be aware that the media are making a bit of fuss about returning holidaymakers ignoring quarantine so expect a kickback from the authorities.
Just make sure you have your i's crossed & t's dotted.
Had to fill out 'the form' which has become much more detailed than the last time `I did it. As a result, I think I will have to quarantine for 14 days even though I am travelling from Germany because I was in Sweden in the last 14 days.

That said, you fill out the form and have too have it ready to present but last time no one checked it or even looked so we shall see. Also, although you complete the form it doesn't tell you when you complete it whether you should isolate or not so pretty useless really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Glad you enjoyed your trip some lovely country up there ,hopefully we'll be up there again around may next year for a spot of fishing who needs Spain ?:giggle:
Certainly got your choice fishing 😂 yes who needs the heat of Spain .

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
CJ

I enjoyed your thread and the photographs.

I do think you were a bit crazy doing such a long trip in the time.

I was a bit disappointed that you did not do the coastal route south down Norway, with views of the islands and ferries across the fjords, but the timescale was against that. For me that would have been the best part of the trip and maybe I would have splurged out on taking one of the Hurtigruten ferries for part of the trip along the coast. I think we will do that from Poland sometime. That is the seafarer in me.

Now where to for the next trip? More leisurely maybe?

Geoff

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The scores on the doors...

The trip was 5933 miles over 24 days and 8 countries. The costs were...

• Eurotunnel - expensive because I paid Flexiplus both ways i.e. £286 each way so I could turn up as and when I wanted and get straight on £572
  • Tolls for the two bridges from Sweden into Denmark on the way home £173
  • Campsites 12 stays £253 average £21 per night or £10 if you include the freebie nights
  • Ferry Germany to Sweden (not booked in advance) £109
  • Ferry Lofoten islands to mainland £163
  • LPG £26
  • And the big one - Diesel (and a little AdBlue) £1,731 roughly 30p per mile
Total cost (wish you hadn't made me add it up) - call it £3,000

Was it worth it? In normal times, probably a ridiculous thing to do in that time frame. If my better half had been with me this was a minimum 10 week trip. However, my need to get away from the lockdown and experience some open space in Scandinavia where I had never been before was greater than my need for £3,000.

Back at home a bit knackered but sill glad I did it. Yesterday we went to Bridlington park and ride to take the dog on the beach and took the motorhome - a journey of about 35 miles each way - probably better value for money.

And here is the route...

Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 09.32.36.png

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You had a fantastic trip. As you have said you needed to get away more than you needed £3000. No body on their death bed ever said I wish I had saved more. Many probably wish they had traveled more.
The lofoten ferry. Is that price one way or return? I would love to do a similar route but my wife doesn’t seem too keen on the Arctic circle.
I could of course do it on the motorbike. Hmmm. Now that’s an idea.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Well done Chris you did what many would not even consider it’s a solid achievement by oneself.
I haven’t yet forgot about the Asian trip you are considering ;)

Can l ask why you put Adblue in with the Diesel?

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You had a fantastic trip. As you have said you needed to get away more than you needed £3000. No body on their death bed ever said I wish I had saved more. Many probably wish they had traveled more.
The lofoten ferry. Is that price one way or return? I would love to do a similar route but my wife doesn’t seem too keen on the Arctic circle.
I could of course do it on the motorbike. Hmmm. Now that’s an idea.
That was one way - it is a 60 minute crossing but saves ALOT of driving

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well done Chris you did what many would not even consider it’s a solid achievement by oneself.
I haven’t yet forgot about the Asian trip you are considering ;)

Can l ask why you put Adblue in with the Diesel?
Not 'in' I mean in the ad blue tank! Just more fuel cost

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Next up...???

View attachment 432388
180 days was 2021 but now looks like 2022 given the b virus 90 days out on Southern route to Beijing and 90 days back on Northern route through Mongolia.

We will nip along from Katowice to Krakov to welcome you back.

Geoff

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I looked at going to China a couple of years ago going through Russia and entering China via Mongolia, no real problems until you get to the Chinese border then you have to had a Chinese travel company involved who arranged most things, you also had to have a guide supplied by them who was with you at all times, I think you could sort your own route within reason, their was if I remember a time limit on how long you could stay, the cost was something like £3000, the real killer was over 69 years old they didn't think I would be allowed to drive the RV.

This is the company: https://www.navo-tour.com/en/
This is the last email from them which might be helpful:

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your mail to NAVO Tour. This is Abby, work for English Center. Glad to be your service. J

First of all, I would like to provide a brief introduction of NAVO Tour here: As you may learn from our website, NAVO Tour(www.navo-tour.com) specializes in organizing self-driving tours, off-road tours, overland tours in China since 1993. With 20 years’ experiences NAVO Tour has grown to the most professional and reliable travel agency in this market segment in China. According to the statistics from China National Tourism Administration NAVO Tour organizes the most groups with their own motorbikes/vehicles into China successfully since 2009.

For global driving tour there are always lot of challenges on the road, but we always be inspired by our diverse guests! We believe we can assist you to complete your fantastic tour in China section.

Now we would like to provide you the following basic information on following:

1. Regards your situation:

• PAX and vehicle No.: would kindly confirm 4 motorhomes with how many drivers? as it has a bit different process between driver and passenger so we would kindly confirm.

• Enter, exit border:

Enter border: Erenhot – Inner Mongolia province, China.

Exit border: Erenhot – Inner Mongolia province, China.

As mentioned you prefer to enter China via Russia, then back to Russia. Normally the route/border the guests prefer to choose will be:

Russia-Mongolia-China; or China-Mongolia-Russia.

Otherwise so far the only border between China-Russia can be use is Manzhouli border. Northeast of Inner Mongolia.

For this border, few guests went through so all the process will be complicated. So normally we don’t recommend guest enter from here. Exit is just okay to arrange.

• Duration, Itinerary and seasons:

Season: would kindly ask for 2018 or 2019, about when would you like to enter in China?

Duration and Itinerary: as China is vast, there will be a lot of options for the route when driving in China. therefore, would kindly know, about how many days you prefer to drive in China? is there any sites/areas you desire to go?

2. Price/service conditions etc.

Frankly speaking, self-driving in China is not cheap.

The price is due to many factors like group size, enter/exit border, areas you will pass by, duration etc.

now I attached a classic itinerary for your reference: 24 days; From Erenhot to Mohan (Mongolia-China-Laos)

Due to your response, sure we will modify the route.

But in the attachment you can see all the group size price with service conditions. You can feel normally how is the duration/areas/prices.

3. The basic rules:

a. The age: in principle, the driver’s age should between 18-69 years old. In China we have the restriction on driving/riding age.

(would like to know your motorhome picture. As for big truck, some border of China has more strict limitation on age, between 18-49 years old. And how old are you please?)

b. The license for driver and vehicles: first they should have the validity native driver/driving license. And we will help to apply the Chinese temporary one.

c. We need about 1-2 months in advance for all procedures. Refers to Xinjiang and Tibet, we would suggest to advance 2-3 months at least.

d. A guide is necessary to accompany the whole tour in China.

e. CIQ Deposit: Since the end of 2008, China CIQ require the deposit of foreign vehicle when entering, and the vehicle deposit will be full refund after the vehicle leave China smoothly. In principle the guests pay the deposit on their own, but our NAVO Tour will try some way to help our guests to afford it (depends). We can talk about this point more in detail on next step.

Recent years we have several groups with 4-5 motorhomes drive in China, and during 2016 we have 13 camper vans drive from Italy then spend around 60 days in China. So we believe we can provide the best service for your group in China too. J

Hope all the information is making sense. If you have any further questions or suggestions please don’t hesitate to contact us! Welcome to China!

Best regards/Cheerio~

Abby

China NAVO Tour

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Wow. Go for it and put a trip report on here. I’m already looking forward to reading this.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The trip above is with Seabridge who shipped our Motorhome to North America for 6 months a couple of years ago.
they deal with all ISAs and entry requirements.
I didn’t know about the 69 age rule so I better crack on - 66 next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back