Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Caravanning for 20 years MH from 2022
Hi All - after our successful 18 days in Holland & Belgium earlier this year we are looking at crossing Hull to Rotterdam in June 2024 with 18 days to travel to lake Iseo and then Garda with say 4 days at each area giving us 9 days to make our way there and back. Any ideas on route and potential stops would be gratefully received. This will only be our second overseas trip in the motorhome following our switch from caravanning in Nov 2022.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All - after our successful 18 days in Holland & Belgium earlier this year we are looking at crossing Hull to Rotterdam in June 2024 with 18 days to travel to lake Iseo and then Garda with say 4 days at each area giving us 9 days to make our way there and back. Any ideas on route and potential stops would be gratefully received. This will only be our second overseas trip in the motorhome following our switch from caravanning in Nov 2022.

Seems a long way in a short time to me.

We are in N. Italy now, heading back to S. Poland and reckon to take another 5 days one-way.

Oldham to Italy and back in 9 days sounds a real stretch.

Can't you wait for retirement?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
I have posted on THIS thread about my route from Garda to Zeebrugge if you wanted to have a look. Lots of info on the forum about what you are seeking, have a scout around. Enjoy
Thank you - will have a look at that

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp

We are in N. Italy now, heading back to S. Poland and reckon to take another 5 days one-way.

Another 3 - 4 years to retirement so need to crack on!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We did a run down to Venice a few months back and took 10 days to get down there. Could have done it quicker but, it would have been a hard slog in a MH.
In the past have ridden to Northern Italy in 2 ½ days, but that meant a lot of high speed riding and full days in the saddle. Not very relaxing as a holiday & not something Id really want to do in the MH unless really pushed.

Route to Northern Italy was: Harwich Hook of Holand- Bad Camberg- Rothenburg ob de Tauber- Dinkelsbuhl- Nordlingen- Augsburg- Bad Tolz- Hall in Tyrol- Dolomites- Venice.

Came back via Fussen, Ulm & the Mosel.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We've done it in around a similar time frame due to work holidays.
We travelled via Bastogne on way out for interest and stayed in Luxembourg, (site) then onto Metz,(site but aire outside but couldn't get in due to parked cars) then Colmar (aire) - all for one night then 2nts in Lucern (site) then onto Garda (site).
On the return leg, Garda to Innsbruck (site) to Fussen (aire) to Romantic Road (aire/stellplatz) route ending up at Maastricht (aire) before ferry home.
There's plenty of sites around Lake Garda but we stayed at Peschiera del Garda on a site called Cappuccini which was ideal for us, on the lake shore with beach, swimming pool, Lidl courtesy bus and a stroll into town.
There's an aire in town if you don't want a site.
We did not stop at Iseo but I'm sure others on here will advise you.
Good luck with your planning and do consider Harwich to Hook as a comparison to Hull which can sometimes be expensive.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
We did a run down to Venice a few months back and took 10 days to get down there. Could have done it quicker but, it would have been a hard slog in a MH.
In the past have ridden to Northern Italy in 2 ½ days, but that meant a lot of high speed riding and full days in the saddle. Not very relaxing as a holiday & not something Id really want to do in the MH unless really pushed.

Route to Northern Italy was: Harwich Hook of Holand- Bad Camberg- Rothenburg ob de Tauber- Dinkelsbuhl- Nordlingen- Augsburg- Bad Tolz- Hall in Tyrol- Dolomites- Venice.

Came back via Fussen, Ulm & the Mosel.
Cheers thank you

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
We travelled via Bastogne on way out for interest and stayed in Luxembourg, (site) then onto Metz,(site but aire outside but couldn't get in due to parked cars) then Colmar (aire) - all for one night then 2nts in Lucern (site) then onto Garda (site).
On the return leg, Garda to Innsbruck (site) to Fussen (aire) to Romantic Road (aire/stellplatz) route ending up at Maastricht (aire) before ferry home.
There's plenty of sites around Lake Garda but we stayed at Peschiera del Garda on a site called Cappuccini which was ideal for us, on the lake shore with beach, swimming pool, Lidl courtesy bus and a stroll into town.
Good luck with your planning and do consider Harwich to Hook as a comparison to Hull which can sometimes be expensive.
Thanks Gavlad

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Forgot to say, you'll need a vignette for travelling through Switzerland - I got mine on my phone on an app but nobody asked to look at it.
If you travel through Austria, you'll need something similar - we had to get a go-box as our van is 5200kgs but not too sure what requirement is for 3500kgs/less - someone on here will be along and can advise.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Forgot to say, you'll need a vignette for travelling through Switzerland - I got mine on my phone on an app but nobody asked to look at it.
If you travel through Austria, you'll need something similar - we had to get a go-box as our van is 5200kgs but not too sure what requirement is for 3500kgs/less - someone on here will be along and can advise.
Cheers

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

It can be done without to much of rush. We regularly travel from the IOM to the Marche region on the Adriatic coast in 4 days comfortably and doesn't involve any night driving but usually the faster roads from the Hook of Holland, Germany and Austria. It is all about what you are comfortable doing I hope you enjoy you trip to the beautiful Italian Lakes.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
It can be done without to much of rush. We regularly travel from the IOM to the Marche region on the Adriatic coast in 4 days comfortably and doesn't involve any night driving but usually the faster roads from the Hook of Holland, Germany and Austria. It is all about what you are comfortable doing I hope you enjoy you trip to the beautiful Italian Lakes.
Thank you

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Well we are finally off on our road trip tomorrow to Lake Garda. Sailing from Harwich on the 11pm sailing then down to Trier (1 night), Lucerne (1 night), Lake Garda (7 nights). Return Journey to Fussen (2 nights), Rothenberg (2 nights), Valkenburg (1 night) and Delft (2 nights) before returning from Rotterdam to Hull. Really looking forward to our biggest road trip to date. Pity we have to be back for work!!!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Well made it safely down to Harwich. Just had tea in the motorhome and waiting for boarding at 8pm

IMG_1204.jpeg

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Well we had a great crossing - off the boat and through Customs by 8.20! - and a trouble free drive down to Trier. We stayed at camping Treviris which is an ok site although not in the most desirable part of town! The site had been completely under water around the 24 May!! Today we have travelled down through Germany, France and into Switzerland. Staying at Camping Sursee approx 10 miles from Lucerne. Lovely quiet site about to relax with some wine, evening meal and my book. Final leg of this part of the journey tomorrow through the Gotthard Tunnel and down to Garda for 7 nights. Staying at Fornella in
San Felice.
IMG_1205.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Weather at Garda has been good the last couple of days, no thunderstorms in the evening that we were getting as we came through Switzerland and Northern Italy. It's hot here today. Just wished we hadn't booked prior as a couple of UK new arrivals are only paying €23 per night on Baia Verde with ACSI and there are still about 30 pitches left ...

17183835374564404878071456228479.jpg

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Well last leg of the journey to Camping Fornella at SanFelice on Lake Garda. Weather a nice 23c at present after driving through torrential rain coming over the Alps - well through Gotthard Tunnell! - with temperatures as low as 11c! Off for a swim to chill out now before our evening meal at the on-site restaurant 😀
IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1208.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I stood outside a beach bar as a lot of the vehicles drive through, they had cordended off a stretch of road adjacent to the beach, as the the wine and drinks flowed, the louder the cheers became every time a Ferrari went past.... and there were a lot from the 50's through to the present day !! Everyone seemed to be having a great time, the fact that it went on for about 6 hours obviously made it a long spectacle and attracted the crowds.

Nice to see quite a few UK number plates aswell but of course the biggest rounds of applause were for the pre 1957 race cars ..

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
autosleeper
Hi
Me and her indoors was looking at holand for a trip.
Where did you go and did you like it details would be great

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
Well we are finally off on our road trip tomorrow to Lake Garda. Sailing from Harwich on the 11pm sailing then down to Trier (1 night), Lucerne (1 night), Lake Garda (7 nights). Return Journey to Fussen (2 nights), Rothenberg (2 nights), Valkenburg (1 night) and Delft (2 nights) before returning from Rotterdam to Hull. Really looking forward to our biggest road trip to date. Pity we have to be back for work!!!
Enjoy, let us know how you get on

Jan 15, 2019
Brackley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Setting off nearly the same route 23rn June
But crossing using tunnel
Week down week around Venice and a week back

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Setting off nearly the same route 23rn June
But crossing using tunnel
Week down week around Venice and a week back
You’ll love it. Roads in Belgium weren’t the best. Lux fuel price was good. Watch your speed through Switzerland as they’re keen as mustard and fines are eye watering.
Have a great time!

Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
If you want to go through the Gotthardt Tunnel on your way to the South, read about opening hours. The winding but comfortable pass road (stunning views) is open now, which is a good alternative to the tunnel, in front of which you might get stuck in endless traffic jam (road work and accidents). It costed us one night.

OP
OP
Riggers1
Feb 27, 2022
Oldham, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Chatsworth
Exp
Hi
Me and her indoors was looking at holand for a trip.
Where did you go and did you like it details would be great
Hi

We did Rotterdam to Bruges, Ypres, Valkenburg, Utrecht and Delft. Loved it all and doing the crossing from Hull meant we did less than 1k miles. They really are great to visit and we love Holland in particular. When back home will send you details of the sites we stayed at if you like.

Nov 16, 2021
Oundle, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV60
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just returned from Iseo, Garda and Como. Really busy with German tourists, and got turned away at sites on Garda and Como. Ideal Camping at Northern end of Como, Gravedonna, more spacious than most with good access to the lake and ferries. Camping Punta d'oro at Marone on Iseo, a good lakeside location. Garda a little too busy and inaccessible for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back