North Norfolk filling station (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
WHOOPEE! Aylsham now has a BP filling station on the corner of Burgh road and the A140 Cromer road. it opened on 26th July and boasts an M&S and cafe. Aylsham has come of age. We haven't been able to buy fuel in Aylsham for over 10 years.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
WHOOPEE! Aylsham now has a BP filling station on the corner of Burgh road and the A140 Cromer road. it opened on 26th July and boasts an M&S and cafe. Aylsham has come of age. We haven't been able to buy fuel in Aylsham for over 10 years.
I used to work around there and used to sweat over the flashing low fuel light. :D

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Ha ha. I read fuel as blue and then realised my mistake.
No worries I had a bit of both. :whistle: Used to travel up to Cromer Hunstanton for Snap On and the van guzzled the fuel, had to really plan my trips, nice to hear of somewhere opening instead of closing. Might attract more tourists. :LOL:

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Four years ago I had to pick up a vehicle my tight a**ed brother had left nearly empty of fuel at Tuttington, as it happens very near to the newly opened M&S garage. After driving around Aylsham and frantically asking where the F**K was the nearest garage we decided to head to Norwich and just made it. So great for Aylsham and the locals and visitors alike.
Ray

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
It's been yonks since Aylsham had a petrol station, they had a small family run garage near the fire station when I lived there, but nothing since, good for the local folks now.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Fakenham is closest for LPG if not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
It's been yonks since Aylsham had a petrol station, they had a small family run garage near the fire station when I lived there, but nothing since, good for the local folks now.

I used to live in Pound Lane, effectively just behind the Feathers and Keymers garage, in those days you could have a monthly account for fuel at Keymers and they used to fill it for you.

Reference the thread title, when I lived in Aylsham it was in Broadland rather than North Norfolk, have they changed the council boundaries?

Yesterday I went walking with the ramblers from Aylesham in Kent, an ex-mining village and a very different sort of place, but Aylsham in Norfolk is now much bigger so I guess it is not quite the place I left.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had a great time in Aylsham last year trying to trace Martin's family history :) His 6xGreat-Grandfather was said to have been "from Aylsham" and he farmed at Blickling. We had a look round the hall and the estate but couldn't identify the farm, I think we would need the estate papers to do that and no one appears sure where the relevant papers are, not in the County Record Office anyway. I think there may still be cousins in Aylsham itself but need to do a lot more research.

I did manage to disprove a printed pedigree - there were three or more men of the same name in Aysham at the same time so sorting out which was which was, to say the least, interesting. I put my research into an article which was published in Norfolk Ancestor and had a couple of nice letters from readers.

We are going back in February or March (helping out with child care for out Grandson whilst his other Grandparents have a special holiday) so we will have a few days in Norwich at the record office and maybe even get up to Aylsham and Blickling again. Not in the van this time as Martineau Lane site won't be open :(

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I used to live in Pound Lane, effectively just behind the Feathers and Keymers garage, in those days you could have a monthly account for fuel at Keymers and they used to fill it for you.

Reference the thread title, when I lived in Aylsham it was in Broadland rather than North Norfolk, have they changed the council boundaries?

Yesterday I went walking with the ramblers from Aylesham in Kent, an ex-mining village and a very different sort of place, but Aylsham in Norfolk is now much bigger so I guess it is not quite the place I left.
You'll remember The Pardons, Duckers, Jack Fish and Linda Keymer. Aylsham has changed a lot but it's still a lovely place to live in and the sale ground is still thriving.

I had a phone call once from someone waiting for me at Aylsham railway station. It turned out he was at Aylesham in Kent, I never did get to meet him.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Presumably close to where the bathroom centre was.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Had a great time in Aylsham last year trying to trace Martin's family history :) His 6xGreat-Grandfather was said to have been "from Aylsham" and he farmed at Blickling. We had a look round the hall and the estate but couldn't identify the farm, I think we would need the estate papers to do that and no one appears sure where the relevant papers are, not in the County Record Office anyway. I think there may still be cousins in Aylsham itself but need to do a lot more research.

I did manage to disprove a printed pedigree - there were three or more men of the same name in Aysham at the same time so sorting out which was which was, to say the least, interesting. I put my research into an article which was published in Norfolk Ancestor and had a couple of nice letters from readers.

We are going back in February or March (helping out with child care for out Grandson whilst his other Grandparents have a special holiday) so we will have a few days in Norwich at the record office and maybe even get up to Aylsham and Blickling again. Not in the van this time as Martineau Lane site won't be open :(
There is serious talk now at planning stage of opening a camping site at Oulton near Blickling, much to the disgust of the local. [Not me]. Local Blickling farmers include, The Gays, Mitchells, Holmans and Harrolds. Good luck.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years

You are quite right, Aylsham is in Broadland but very close to north Norfolk. Linda Keymer was brilliant, you used to have to wait several weeks for the bill and I was always calling in with a car problem.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
There is serious talk now at planning stage of opening a camping site at Oulton near Blickling, much to the disgust of the local. [Not me]. Local Blickling farmers include, The Gays, Mitchells, Holmans and Harrolds. Good luck.

The Aylsham motel used to have spaces for motorhomes at one time, I guess it was a CS or CL.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On the same site, unrecognisable now. It used to be Norwich double glazing before the bathroom centre.

We still have a shower cubicle we bought from there awhile back , they had a big fire I believe.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We still have a shower cubicle we bought from there awhile back , they had a big fire I believe.

Started by the owner who had financial troubles, his brother had a tool van that used to call on all the local garages, that's how I knew him.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back