North East Truck and Van, York (1 Viewer)

ChrisSand

Free Member
Dec 9, 2019
Ripon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
The dealer, North East Truck and Van in York has serviced our vehicle for the last 3 years and so has had a good amount of loyalty from ourselves.
The airbag warning light was showing and the off side day time running light was out. Particularly the airbag potential problem had to be fixed for insurance reasons and the light was needing attention as we were planning to travel over the New Year. We were under pressure to sort during December with the added complication that my husband had to be out of the country for a week.
We accepted the quote but queried the question of goodwill. Having got FIAT'S customer service number N E T and V gave absolutely no further help in this department. I spent the next few days on numerous calls to Fiat, Italy and consequently managed to get around £500 (including the VAT) off the final bill. No goodwill was forthcoming from N E T and V regarding their labour charge. In fact thay charged the maximum possible for diagnostics and more than the Fiat guidelines for the 2 repairs. I spoke to another NE Fiat dealer who said that the diagnostics would have taken about 15 minutes as the fault with the ECU (airbag unit) would have been found quite quickly. We were charged for 1.5 hours. When the original quote was given (obviously post diagnostics) no mention was made of this charge.
We are very disappointed with the lack of help and goodwill from NE T & V and will definitely use the other dealer that I spoke to for future servicing.
We noted that apart from their usual quota of commercial vehicles in for work that there were a number of other motorhomes in their yard for attention.
People of York and area, be warned that in the event of an out of warranty problem with your motorhome, that you will receive absolutely no gesture of goodwill or assistance.
Very disappointing.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When our Airbag light came on NET&V Hull did the diagnostics and cleared the fault for no charge during its service/MOT. I’ve got nothing but praise for Hull NET&V over the past four years dealing with them.
I wonder if the different sites are franchised?

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
You still get zero cooperation from these people, even if the van is within warranty.

I wish I had seen these comments before our van was taken to their York Branch. Our 2020 Ducato's gearbox failed on 13 June 2022, 13 weeks ago and it still hasn't been repaired by North East Truck & Van. Their performance is shambolic and they are quite open in saying that their contract servicing of local fleets takes precedence over FIAT warranty work.

Neither FIAT in Milan nor FIAT UK Camper Assist have been able to exert any pressure on them to complete the work, which is stalled because contract fleet vehicles keep coming in for service and repair and their work is put ahead of ours. Be warned.

I may be in a position to say more after I have the van back.

Their labour rate is approximately £225 per hour, an amount derived from their quote for an oil plus filter change of £324 incl VAT. (They told me the oil was £85 Inc VAT and the filter £15 Inc VAT, and I did the maths.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
I worked for a york haulage company running mainly mercedes trucks, spent many an hour waiting for ne t v to do diagnosiic work , luckily servicing was carried out in house. There used to be another centre at thorpe arch who were so efficient, think that one has closed now.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
As an aside, I needed a universal joint spider and bearings for our Iveco pick up. Had a quick look online, but wasn't sure of the exact size required, but they were all around the twenty to thirty quid mark. Went to NET in Carlisle with the reg who said I needed the 30.2mm unit and they could get me one for Saturday morning for £180+VAT :eek:

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
It's odd to get so much variation between dealers in the NETV Group. I've read of people defending the Hull Branch quite strongly as very fair to deal with and a reasonable charging structure.

I thought NETV were more of a loosely affiliated set of FIAT Professional workshops but their company accounts indicate their Group branches are fully integrated for financial purposes. NETV York has a very small workshop (4/5 bays?) on a dingy industrial estate so they aren't carrying the overheads of a flashy "high street" outfit and its difficult to justify their charging structure of what I reckon to be around £225/hour.

York appears to have large servicing/repair contracts with local public service vehicle fleets and who probably aren't aware they are paying top whack. If NETV York can get work at top whack they'll be reluctant to take on warranty work at FIAT rates for FIAT-timed procedures. Those local contracts may have target turn-around times to meet and that could account for the fact that continually deferring our van's repair costs them nothing.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If it’s any help to the OP, we’ve been using York Van Centre for the last 5 years for the engine servicing of our van. Very courteous, helpful and knowledgable. Was recommended to us by the place where we store our van, which is a car dealer.
They collect the van, carry out the service, MOT when appropriate, return the van with the service book stamped and receipt. Often replaced parts like filters etc left in a plastic bag for you to check.

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for that advice. At least they give you a service stamp at The York Van Centre - NET&V York say they don't. Maybe it's too much trouble, bless them - think of the time and expense involved.....

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
You still get zero cooperation from these people, even if the van is within warranty.

I wish I had seen these comments before our van was taken to their York Branch. Our 2020 Ducato's gearbox failed on 13 June 2022, 13 weeks ago and it still hasn't been repaired by North East Truck & Van. Their performance is shambolic and they are quite open in saying that their contract servicing of local fleets takes precedence over FIAT warranty work.

Neither FIAT in Milan nor FIAT UK Camper Assist have been able to exert any pressure on them to complete the work, which is stalled because contract fleet vehicles keep coming in for service and repair and their work is put ahead of ours. Be warned.

I may be in a position to say more after I have the van back.

Their labour rate is approximately £225 per hour, an amount derived from their quote for an oil plus filter change of £324 incl VAT. (They told me the oil was £85 Inc VAT and the filter £15 Inc VAT, and I did the maths.
Newcastle are exactly the same, ended up taking ours else where (Sherwoods in Washington) they have been great.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
If it’s any consolation, NET&V Immingham is just as bad. Had an awful experience with them and they left my mh in an appalling state. Lie after lie and aggressive management.
When one of their own staff tells you not to use them, it says it all! It’s a pity I hadn’t spoken to this person prior to leaving the van with them.

Cowboys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back