Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
On and off, with different vehicles since 2009
We intend to do the nc500 in September all things permitting
How is it with wild camping around there
Was told a lot more relaxed about it north of the border
Plenty of wild camping locations up there - vast areas of open country. I mixed it up with wilding and occasional camp sites. There were also a few small motorhome Parking spots - similar to Aires, in a number of the small towns/ villages when I went round it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
the NC500 seems to have become it's own worst enemy with hundreds, if not thousands, of new visitors from not just the UK but Europe as well. The problem is that not enough thought was given to the extra facilities that would be required or even the infrastructure - the road system for instance simply is totally inadequate. This is a great shame as we love Scotland and it was the peace and quiet which most attracted us. When we return, as we probably will later this year, we'll do our best to avoid the NC500 - there's plenty of other places, just as attractive - and no, I'm not telling you where!

As everything points to many many more of us "staycationing" this year I'd forecast that it is going to be busier than ever and I won't discount overseas visitors either.

As for wild camping, I don't think they're "more relaxed" about it; they still have laws that unfortunately more than a few have ignored, causing unrest amongst the locals. But yes there are more opportunities for "wild camping" than the rest of the UK, you just simply take note of what you may/may not do and hopefully enjoy this beautiful land.

Remember - take nothing but photographs - leave nothing but footprints.

Oct 8, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for taking the time to reply
We realise we may be one of many doing the trip
Weā€™re not keen wild campers but in the right circumstances will give it a go ( if her lady ship feels safe )
Any other info greatly received
Places to see,campsites etc
Hate the idea of missing something šŸ¤”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Darren68

Darren68

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
On and off, with different vehicles since 2009
Have a read through the earlier thread - re the North Coast 500 App, that Iā€˜d highly recommend. šŸ‘

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
From Chester, Inverness is around 400miles to start the nc500. Any recommendations for routes and non club stop overs to the start line?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back